Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 11:56 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times

Advertisements

I think American culture advocates peace and tolerance, and anyone who disagrees ought to get his butt kicked.....so there!....

Old 08-26-2007, 12:16 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Criss1956,

I don't mean to rub it in, but the weak English skills you have displayed on this thread has been an opportunity for me to tackle a related issue that people talk about: the stagnant wages of the American worker. It has been suggested that illegal immigration drives down the wages of American workers. That may or may not be true. Certainly for low end jobs, that probably is true.
Here is one example:

Meatpacking paid an average hourly wage in 1976 of $17.41. In 2006 the average hourly wage was $11.47. (chart is about halfway down the page, left hand side)

Quote:
The face of the average meatpacking plant worker has also changed. Over the past two decades, the number of immigrant laborers in meat packing plants—and in the Midwestern areas in which they are primarily located—has increased dramatically. According to the USDA, the percentage of Hispanic meat-processing workers rose from less than 10 percent in 1980 to nearly 30 percent in 2000.
http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/250/meat-packing.html

Quote:
But please remember that we are living in what's been called a "knowledge economy". The market has now put a premium on jobs that require a high degree of educational training, primarily in the sciences. Check out http://www.bls.gov and you will find that the high-paying jobs require advanced degrees.
The link doesn't work.

Quote:
What does this have to do with your poor English skills? Well, a lot. I am using you as a case study on why wages are stagnant in some sectors of the economy. If you can barely spell common English words like BORDER and do not even know the correct usage of THROATS as opposed to THROAT'S, those are telltale signs that you are not really college - much less graduate school - material.
Who said everyone should go to college? Or graduate school? America is always going to need plumbers, electricians, car mechanics, UPS drivers and construction workers. Bringing back vocational High Schools would be a good idea IMO, but I digress. The wages of construction workers are not dropping because the workers don't know how to spell 'boarder'. They are dropping because American workers are losing their jobs to illegal workers who undercut the wages. American jobs should go to American workers.
Quote:
Obviously the ability to spell is not the only thing you'd need to get into college, but it is a basic marker of scholastic aptitude. You will most likely not get the higher education that you need to give you a real shot at earning real money unless you can demonstrate that you have these basic skills. You will not be able to command the high wages that you desire.
Where did crisis1965 demand higher wages?
Quote:
Why should an employer be obligated to pay you $60 an hour when you can't even spell the word border correctly? Your options will therefore be limited to dead end jobs at Walmart.
On what basis is this statement made? You know nothing about crisis1965.
Quote:
This is regardless of whether we have illegal immigrants or not. Even if all the illegal immigrants were deported tomorrow, that still doesn't mean you will automatically get a high paying job at Apple Computer or at Pfizer if your intellectual capacity is only at the 4th grade level.
You still have to earn it by brushing up on your communication skills, not to mention your aptitude in science and math. This may sound harsh, and I don't say this to demean you. Again, I have to state that this is not a personal attack against you. I hope you are mature enough to face the facts, but the economy is what it is. This is capitalism at work. And did I hear someone say that capitalism is as American as apple pie?
This is nothing but a personal attack. How can you possibly presume to know anything about this person's math and science skills?

Old 08-26-2007, 12:32 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Quote:
Who said everyone should go to college? Or graduate school? America is always going to need plumbers, electricians, car mechanics, UPS drivers and construction workers. Bringing back vocational High Schools would be a good idea IMO, but I digress.
Nope, no one has to go to college or grad school. If you want to do vocational work, you're free to do so. But that's not where the high wages are found. You cannot expect to be paid $100 an hour if there's not much demand for your skills. If you are not getting the wages you think you are entitled to, then that's probably because you are working in the wrong sector of the economy. The job market will not adjust to you; you will have to adjust to the job market. That's the reality. That's capitalism. If you don't like it, there's always Cuba. That would be the ultimate irony: an anti-immigrant proponent seeking refuge in Cuba.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:39 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,495 times
Quote:
Nope, no one has to go to college or grad school. If you want to do vocational work, you're free to do so. But that's not where the high wages are found. You cannot expect to be paid $100 an hour if there's not much demand for your skills. If you are not getting the wages you think you are entitled to, then that's probably because you are working in the wrong sector of the economy. The job market will not adjust to you; you will have to adjust to the job market. That's the reality. That's capitalism. If you don't like it, there's always Cuba. That would be the ultimate irony: an anti-immigrant proponent seeking refuge in Cuba.
Get back to me after you have spent a year living in CA.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Criss1956,

unless you can demonstrate that you have these basic skills. You will not be able to command the high wages that you desire. Why should an employer be obligated to pay you $60 an hour when you can't even spell the word border correctly? Your options will therefore be limited to dead end jobs at Walmart. , [/b]?
This advice is generally true. Obviously a command of English is important. But I know an American who uses words such as "vacationizing" and describes himself as the "Decider". He seems very hazy on foreign languages, as well, confusing the definitions of such terms as "vigilante". While he no doubt is able to spell "border", he certainly doesn't seem to understand its definition. Heck, the man can't even pronounce "nuclear". And yet, he holds a very well-paid government position, and his job perks even include free Government housing and an open-ended travel allowance; and he CERTAINLY does not, never has, and never will, work at Wal-Mart.
So despite the wisdom of your words, please know that there are exceptions to every rule.....

Old 08-26-2007, 05:37 PM

156 posts, read 150,799 times
Talking Can you believe it? I finally agree with you about something!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
This advice is generally true. Obviously a command of English is important. But I know an American who uses words such as "vacationizing" and describes himself as the "Decider". He seems very hazy on foreign languages, as well, confusing the definitions of such terms as "vigilante". While he no doubt is able to spell "border", he certainly doesn't seem to understand its definition. Heck, the man can't even pronounce "nuclear". And yet, he holds a very well-paid government position, and his job perks even include free Government housing and an open-ended travel allowance; and he CERTAINLY does not, never has, and never will, work at Wal-Mart.
So despite the wisdom of your words, please know that there are exceptions to every rule.....

And he has said that he does not have to abide by the same rules and laws that the rest of the country does. Another perk?

Old 08-26-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Junkie View Post

And he has said that he does not have to abide by the same rules and laws that the rest of the country does. Another perk?
This is SCARY !!......

Old 08-26-2007, 06:44 PM

156 posts, read 150,799 times
Uh huh!!!! It sure is! LOLOLOLOLOL

Old 08-26-2007, 07:10 PM

118 posts, read 465,407 times
Quote:
Boarder is spelled BORDER. And you misspelled it not once but TWICE. This means it wasn't a typo and you can't blame it on your lack of coffee either. The bottom line is, you really can't spell. How can you call yourself an American (by your own definition)? I hope you don't take this as a personal attack; it's really not. I am merely using your own litmus test on you.

In fact, I tend to agree that we ought to subject every person who wants to live in the US a test on English language skills before he or she can be accorded citizenship status. The test should include everyone, even the native born. I'd be curious to see how many of the English only crowd will actually pass it.
So what if I misspell a word here and there.
Lord knows that it's only true Americans who never misspell a word.
I spell well enough to have completed college, several levels of NCO Academies as well as the Sergeant's Major Academy.

I can't help but to laugh at you when you say: "The bottom line is,you really can't spell". The bottom line, Sir is that you are childish and, well I will just leave it at that and not stoop to your level.

Last edited by Criss1956; 08-26-2007 at 08:03 PM..

Old 08-26-2007, 07:41 PM

118 posts, read 465,407 times
Default Ps

Is there something wrong with someone working at Walmart?
It sure beats selling drugs or (pardon my Southern phrases) laying up on welfare.
At least it's an honest living.
Yes, it is a lower paying job but they do give people with disabilities a chance to work, as well as helping older people supplement their income.

Do you make $100 per hour?
I would bet that you are living with your parents and work part time at McDonalds.
Not that there is anything wrong with working at McDonalds.
I'm proud of you.

Last edited by Criss1956; 08-26-2007 at 08:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration