U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 06:06 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,161,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Great adults do not break the law. If they want a college education let them move back to Mexico and get one there.

I love how when Alabama passes laws that are rightfully harsh on illegals then it's the end of the world and evil bigotry. When Californians literally grant them unearned rights that are a better deal for them than American citizens get then it's a good thing.

No one should be rewarded because their parents broke our immigration laws.

What's hopelessly wrong is discrimination against natives. Wrapping that in allegations of bigotry demeans real bigotry. But that's what you do when you have no defense: make false allegations against others.

If illegals want a college degree let them leave and get one back in their own countries. They are not entitled to a free college degree from the American taxpayer. I am truly sorry you think I should be taxed so that foreign nationals can avoid the student loans I just finished paying off a few years ago.

That's completely unjust.

Residents cannot be subject to deportation at any moment. This has been repeatedly explained to you. Residents have all kinds of rights illegals don't have including the right to drive and vote. And yes, whether you like or not I get to vote and they do not.

They are not residents. They are illegal aliens who should be sent home.

Ask Americans if they want to give a free college degrees to illegals and see the response you get. The only less than honorable motive is turning that reasonable stance into one of bigotry.

It is disgusting that any elected official chooses to pander to an ethnic lobby in this manner. Shame on Jerry Brown!
Don't ya just love it when the pro-illegals use the word "xenophobia" against us? I guess they don't own a dictionary. Xenophobia is a fear of strangers. Just who is a stranger to our country? We have every racial/ethnic group and nationality already living here legally and most are citizens of this country. Who are these "strangers"? Men from Mars?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 06:12 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,530,126 times
Quote:
Jerry Brown is simply pandering to the hispanic lobby. We all know that even if you want to pretend otherwise. That is all this is about.

But I assume based on that reasoning that you would have no objections if other states passed laws denying as many possible benefits to illegals?

Many have. I think sometimes a dumb call...but I doubt very much any of the zonians are after my opinion.

Quote:
You share the same belief. You apparently have no problem with Americans being taxed to support foreign nationals. Why should a single American be asked to shell out money so that an illegal can get a free college degree? Especially when most Americans don't have degrees and those that do often have huge debts to pay for them?
Foreign nationals can perfectly well be residents and domicilied in CA at any time. Has always been true and still is. And anywhere else in the US as well. There is no requirement for citizenship to attend a US college I know of...and you can be a resident even though a foreign national. Our weird rules deal with illegal aliens not foreign nationals.

Quote:
I ask you the same question I asked the poster above. If you truly believe that California's elected officials can pander to the illegal lobby in search of Hispanic votes then I assume you are perfectly okay with other pols passing laws against illegals in hopes of currying favor with those of us who believe in a sane immigration policy?
Well we may differ upon whether it is sane or insane immigration policies. And I am not really sure where the boundary between the states and the federals are...but I am quite sure the reason actions in AZ were absolutely currying favor with the Phoenix no nothings. And no it does not bother me...as long as they keep it legal.

As I have said before I am actually against illegal immigration and even against some legal immigration and very much against some of the job shipping that has gone on. I am looking for a solution though. Rather than just whining into the wind as it gets worse.. And that is where we differ.

Quote:
Or does that fall into the category of telling Americans what they can do. Because I'll tell you this: I do NOT want to be told that I have to pay taxes to provide for the needs of foreign nationals who break our immigration laws. Who are YOU to tell me otherwise?
Different subject. Neither Bush nor Obama would have gotten a dime of my money to go to war in Iraq...but that is not how the system works.

And I don't tell you otherwise...the US Constitution does.

Last edited by olecapt; 10-09-2011 at 06:29 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 06:17 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,783,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
As long as CA doesnít expect to use any of my federal taxes to support illegal aliens, I donít care what they do with their money.
I suspect California will be demanding a federal bail out in the near future.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:11 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,388,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Many have. I think sometimes a dumb call...but I doubt very much any of the zonians are after my opinion.
Illegals cost most Americans money and don't contribute anything. Why is it a dumb call to do everything we can to encourage them to leave?

Quote:
Foreign nationals can perfectly well be residents and domicilied in CA at any time. Has always been true and still is. And anywhere else in the US as well. There is no requirement for citizenship to attend a US college I know of...and you can be a resident even though a foreign national. Our weird rules deal with illegal aliens not foreign nationals.
Exactly my point. They are foreign nationals. They are not American citizens. Why should they be granted access to scholarship money based on treating them as the later not the former?

Quote:
Well we may differ upon whether it is sane or insane immigration policies. And I am not really sure where the boundary between the states and the federals are...but I am quite sure the reason actions in AZ were absolutely currying favor with the Phoenix no nothings. And no it does not bother me...as long as they keep it legal.
So pandering to illegal aliens and their supporters is nothing more than the right thing to do but demanding rational immigration policy is merely an expression of know nothingism?

Do you admit there are many reasons to be opposed to illegal immigration? Do you further admit that most of those reasons have nothing to do with bigotry?

Quote:
As I have said before I am actually against illegal immigration and even against some legal immigration and very much against some of the job shipping that has gone on. I am looking for a solution though. Rather than just whining into the wind as it gets worse.. And that is where we differ.
For someone supposedly against illegal immigration you sure seem in favor of policies that will only encourage more of it. This bill is stupid. It only encourages more people to move here illegally and further crowd California's already overburdened school system.

Quote:
Different subject. Neither Bush nor Obama would have gotten a dime of my money to go to war in Iraq...but that is not how the system works.

And I don't tell you otherwise...the US Constitution does.
The American consitution says nothing about providing a free college education for illegal aliens. The pols can do what they want. Eventually, they like "Roberto" Menendez will have to answer to people like me. Not to Mexico's government or illegal aliens. But to voters like myself who do not wish to see our hard earned tax dollars go to fund the college education of criminal foreign nationals.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:21 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,530,126 times
Quote:
Illegals cost most Americans money and don't contribute anything. Why is it a dumb call to do everything we can to encourage them to leave?
Your position is absurd and indicates no understanding of the situation.

Quote:
Exactly my point. They are foreign nationals. They are not American citizens. Why should they be granted access to scholarship money based on treating them as the later not the former?
Foreign nationals are rountinely and universally granted access to scholarship money virtually everywhere in the USA.

Quote:
So pandering to illegal aliens and their supporters is nothing more than the right thing to do but demanding rational immigration policy is merely an expression of know nothingism?
Read it again. It says no such thing. Perhaps you need to get a little help in understanding english?

Quote:
Do you admit there are many reasons to be opposed to illegal immigration? Do you further admit that most of those reasons have nothing to do with bigotry?
There are numerous reasons to oppose illegal immigration which should never be allowed to happen. Some involve bigotry. Some don't.

Quote:
For someone supposedly against illegal immigration you sure seem in favor of policies that will only encourage more of it. This bill is stupid. It only encourages more people to move here illegally and further crowd California's already overburdened school system.
Nope. It simply offers a reward to the best and brightest. I oppose illegal immigration and also the absolute stupidity of attempting to force the millions here out of the country. That is because I oppose doing absurd things. And I would very much like to see a situation where we could actual stop illegal immigration. YOu oppose establishing such a condition. I think you are actually the one aiding and abetting the growth of illegal immigration.

Quote:
The American consitution says nothing about providing a free college education for illegal aliens. The pols can do what they want. Eventually, they like "Roberto" Menendez will have to answer to people like me. Not to Mexico's government or illegal aliens. But to voters like myself who do not wish to see our hard earned tax dollars go to fund the college education of criminal foreign nationals.
Says nothing against providing them either. Sets the rules about how we tax and govern. If you don't care for them leave. Find a place more compatible with your beliefs.

If you wish to be able to veto the use of your taxes for specific tasks you are in the wrong country. That is not how we do it.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:21 AM

491 posts, read 1,283,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
But I prefer talent over national origin or immigration status. You prefer we give them to the cute blonds with the perky noses?

You can of course suggest they select the less than best...I still like blonds with perky noses...but I think it ok to use a criteria of excellence.
WTF is going on with Cali?! Yes, I would rather give a scholarship to a cute blond who's not breaking the law with decent academic credentials who's not a fugitive of this country.

Isn't there a selection process to obtain these scholarships, such as not comitting a federal crime. These students are fugitives period! I don't give a phuk if the illegal is phunkin Einstein, they committed a federal crime to begin with and that alone disbarreds them from receiving any scholarship period! How can you defend these fugitives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration