Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:20 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,463,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
True. But, California should not expect to be bailed out by Federal taxpayers when they find themselves bankrupt due to pandering to illegals. Why should any illegal alien student pay a lower tuition rate than out-of-state citizens or legal foreign students?

Many, if not most, of these “great kids” are actually ADULTS who engage in the same criminal behavior as their parents. Go to their website and you’ll see how many are working by using a stolen or fake SSN, driving without a license, or obtaining one through fraudulent means. The list goes on. . . .
I don't think the Federal government should bail them out. CA has its sovereignty, they should be held accountable for their budget. How do you explain states receiving funds without an illegal problem?

CA wants to reward top performing people with the chance to attend college, that's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 01:22 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,127,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
True. But, California should not expect to be bailed out by Federal taxpayers when they find themselves bankrupt due to pandering to illegals. Why should any illegal alien student pay a lower tuition rate than out-of-state citizens or legal foreign students?

Many, if not most, of these “great kids” are actually ADULTS who engage in the same criminal behavior as their parents. Go to their website and you’ll see how many are working by using a stolen or fake SSN, driving without a license, or obtaining one through fraudulent means. The list goes on. . . .
Why not? YOu seem to feel you have some God given right to tell other Americans what they can do. Why is that? A religious belief?

Old 10-09-2011, 01:26 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,463,432 times
People in Maryland should not be worrying about what CA wants to do with their residents.

To those in CA...there are 49 other states out there, find one you like.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:34 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,524,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
People in Maryland should not be worrying about what CA wants to do with their residents.

To those in CA...there are 49 other states out there, find one you like.
As long as CA doesn’t expect to use any of my federal taxes to support illegal aliens, I don’t care what they do with their money.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:39 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,289,862 times
Quote:
California can do whatever it wants, if you don't like it, move or vote otherwise (Arizona is close by). That's why we have 50 states and a competitive market.

2500 great kids will now be eligible for aid in California:

Undocumented immigrant students will be eligible for California aid - CNN.com
No, 2500 illegal aliens that have no right to be here will be receiving aid.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:30 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,070,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Sorry you are simply and beyond any doubt wrong and your belief in such an incorrect position would be a stong indicator of a bias or xenophobia. Why else would you advocate that which is hopelessly wrong?

They are residents and the benefit is given to residents. You don't get a vote.

And again those of you who would fight the obvious will of other American would suggest a motive less than honorable.
Pretty bold claims for a simple opinion.

According to AB131
(2) Existing federal law requires that a state may provide that an alien who is not lawfully present in the United States is eligible for any state or local public benefit for which that alien would otherwise be ineligible under a specified federal law only through enactment of a state law that affirmatively provides for that eligibility. This bill would find and declare that the amendments to the Donahoe Higher Education Act described above are state laws within the meaning of this federal provision.

It in no way declares them residents of the state. It also states
This bill would....require the Trustees of the California State University and the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges, and to request the regents, to establish procedures and forms. This provision would apply to the University of California only if the regents, by appropriate resolution, act to make it applicable.

Requiring one to do one thing and only requesting the other to do so. Again, AB131 never declares these illegal alien students as residents.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 10-09-2011 at 02:44 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 02:39 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,070,963 times
California Code (edc (Education Code):66010.8) states:
Quote:
66010.8. (a) No public institution of postsecondary education shall admit, enroll, or permit the attendance of any person who is not a citizen of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted as a permanent resident in the United States, or a person who is otherwise authorized under federal law to be present in the United States. (b) Commencing with the first term or semester that begins after January 1, 1995, and at the commencement of each term or semester thereafter, each public postsecondary educational institution shall verify the status of each person enrolled or in attendance at that institution in order to ensure the enrollment or attendance only of United States citizens, aliens lawfully admitted as permanent residents in the United States, and persons who are otherwise authorized under federal law to be present in the United States. (c) No later than 45 days after the admissions officer of a public postsecondary educational institution becomes aware of the application, enrollment, or attendance of a person determined to be, or who is under reasonable suspicion of being, in the United States in violation of federal immigration laws, that officer shall provide that information to the State Superintendent of Public Instruction, the Attorney General of California, and the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service. The information shall also be provided to the applicant, enrollee, or person admitted.
I find it odd that AB130 or AB131 never amends this portion of the CA Education Code.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:46 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,866,247 times
Quote:
California can do whatever it wants, if you don't like it, move or vote otherwise (Arizona is close by). That's why we have 50 states and a competitive market.

2500 great kids will now be eligible for aid in California:

Great adults do not break the law. If they want a college education let them move back to Mexico and get one there.

I love how when Alabama passes laws that are rightfully harsh on illegals then it's the end of the world and evil bigotry. When Californians literally grant them unearned rights that are a better deal for them than American citizens get then it's a good thing.

No one should be rewarded because their parents broke our immigration laws.

Quote:
Sorry you are simply and beyond any doubt wrong and your belief in such an incorrect position would be a stong indicator of a bias or xenophobia. Why else would you advocate that which is hopelessly wrong?
What's hopelessly wrong is discrimination against natives. Wrapping that in allegations of bigotry demeans real bigotry. But that's what you do when you have no defense: make false allegations against others.

If illegals want a college degree let them leave and get one back in their own countries. They are not entitled to a free college degree from the American taxpayer. I am truly sorry you think I should be taxed so that foreign nationals can avoid the student loans I just finished paying off a few years ago.

That's completely unjust.

Quote:
They are residents and the benefit is given to residents. You don't get a vote.
Residents cannot be subject to deportation at any moment. This has been repeatedly explained to you. Residents have all kinds of rights illegals don't have including the right to drive and vote. And yes, whether you like or not I get to vote and they do not.

They are not residents. They are illegal aliens who should be sent home.

Quote:
And again those of you who would fight the obvious will of other American would suggest a motive less than honorable.
Ask Americans if they want to give a free college degrees to illegals and see the response you get. The only less than honorable motive is turning that reasonable stance into one of bigotry.

It is disgusting that any elected official chooses to pander to an ethnic lobby in this manner. Shame on Jerry Brown!

Old 10-09-2011, 04:52 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,866,247 times
Quote:
I don't think the Federal government should bail them out. CA has its sovereignty, they should be held accountable for their budget. How do you explain states receiving funds without an illegal problem?

CA wants to reward top performing people with the chance to attend college, that's why.
Jerry Brown is simply pandering to the hispanic lobby. We all know that even if you want to pretend otherwise. That is all this is about.

But I assume based on that reasoning that you would have no objections if other states passed laws denying as many possible benefits to illegals?

Quote:
Why not? YOu seem to feel you have some God given right to tell other Americans what they can do. Why is that? A religious belief?
You share the same belief. You apparently have no problem with Americans being taxed to support foreign nationals. Why should a single American be asked to shell out money so that an illegal can get a free college degree? Especially when most Americans don't have degrees and those that do often have huge debts to pay for them?

I ask you the same question I asked the poster above. If you truly believe that California's elected officials can pander to the illegal lobby in search of Hispanic votes then I assume you are perfectly okay with other pols passing laws against illegals in hopes of currying favor with those of us who believe in a sane immigration policy?

Or does that fall into the category of telling Americans what they can do. Because I'll tell you this: I do NOT want to be told that I have to pay taxes to provide for the needs of foreign nationals who break our immigration laws. Who are YOU to tell me otherwise?

Old 10-09-2011, 05:03 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,648,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

Why not send AMERICAN STUDENTS to college? Give us more opportunities? Damn, no wonder California is going down.

Wtf? How do they plan on funding all the illegals?
I don't think they planned on funding "all the illegals" as I recall there is a test
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration