Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 01:45 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
This....

Most/all of THEM didn't break the law, their parents did... would you like to be punished for your parent's mistakes? I sure wouldn't.
Are you sure? They may not have made the decision to come here illegally or overstay visas, but the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. If you doubt my word, you should visit their website (Dream Act Portal Forum) which boasts the largest population of illegal alien students, and you’ll see just how law-abiding they are. . . NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 01:50 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
I consider the Dream Act a just legislation. It is important to differentiate that the people benefiting are not criminals, there parents are by breaking the law to enter illegally. We need to look at the two separately.

However, passing the Dream Act without addressing the core issue is a problem. I can see many impoverished parents out there on the fence about leaving their country of origin viewing this as an additional reason to come here illegally.

We need to fix the system, welcome those who come here to contribute and vigorously pursue and expel those who break the law to come here.
Please see post #51. They are ADULTS, and as criminal as their parents.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:57 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
That's why the system needs fixing. I am not close enough to the issue to cite statistics but I would hazzard a guess that a sizeable percentage of immigrants are here illegally. If we were to firm up our enforcement of laws prohibiting illegal immigration, there'd be more room for those wanting to come here through legal methods.

I'd welcome more immigrants who were vetted and are ready to contribute. Reform the system to allow an easier path for those industrious individuals determined to make a new life here, offset with a zero tolerance approach to those who come here illegally.

This is the middle ground I believe we need to get to solve the problem.
What makes you think we need more immigrants than our annual quotas allow for now? We take in over a million every year and we have millions of Americans out of work. We don't have the social or natural resources to handle anymore population growth than we are experiencing now either.

You said we need to enforce our immigration laws. No argument there but realistically that means deporting the illegals already here. Do you agree with that? Does your "fix the system" idea include amnesty/legalization?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:41 AM

532 posts, read 1,269,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What makes you think we need more immigrants than our annual quotas allow for now? We take in over a million every year and we have millions of Americans out of work. We don't have the social or natural resources to handle anymore population growth than we are experiencing now either.

You said we need to enforce our immigration laws. No argument there but realistically that means deporting the illegals already here. Do you agree with that? Does your "fix the system" idea include amnesty/legalization?
I have no issue with allowing for amnesty for those who apply and meet the criteria for acceptance. Usng your 1M/year figure, if we approve 500K people for amnesty the first year, we should limit immgigration to 500K that year as well.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:25 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
I have no issue with allowing for amnesty for those who apply and meet the criteria for acceptance. Usng your 1M/year figure, if we approve 500K people for amnesty the first year, we should limit immgigration to 500K that year as well.
I had a feeling that is what you meant by "fixing the sytem." So you are for denying 500,000 potential immigrants who are waiting patiently in their homelands to come here the right way to accomodate/amnesty 500,000 illegals already here. How is that fair? I so disagree with that.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:16 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,045 times
Quote:
Punish law-abiding people and reward the law-breakers. That's your definition of "fixing" our system?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:45 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I had a feeling that is what you meant by "fixing the sytem." So you are for denying 500,000 potential immigrants who are waiting patiently in their homelands to come here the right way to accomodate/amnesty 500,000 illegals already here. How is that fair? I so disagree with that.
No kidding, especially since it favors people that cheated and are mostly from one Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration