Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:44 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times

Advertisements

I agree it all boils down to respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 03:05 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I agree it all boils down to respect.
Not "Rule of Law" or "Hey, you did it illegally!"?...

Is it up to an entire country's (or their government's) perceived level of "respect" before you would let individuals of that country legally immigrate?...

Old 10-11-2011, 04:08 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Not "Rule of Law" or "Hey, you did it illegally!"?...

Is it up to an entire country's (or their government's) perceived level of "respect" before you would let individuals of that country legally immigrate?...
The word respect came up in regards to not adapting to our culture and language. It is not only disrespectful not to do that but it is also disrespectful not to honor "our rule of law" by entering our country illegally.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:37 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The word respect came up in regards to not adapting to our culture and language. It is not only disrespectful not to do that but it is also disrespectful not to honor "our rule of law" by entering our country illegally.
As a practical matter there is no legal way for most of the illegals to ever enter the US with a visa allowing them to work. The likely waiting period for such a document for a low socio-economic class Mexican is well past 20 years.

So let us understand they have the choice only of coming illegal or not at all.

That would indicate that practicality rather than disrespect governs their behavior.

Don't read this as a suggestion that we should give them work visas. I would think those should be confined simply to temporary situations where they leave after a set period. I see no reason why we need an influx of poorly educated people from the country next door.

These guys are simply economic refugees....but they come with no disrespect to the US.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:41 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
So........how come we need labels in Spanish? Option "Press 2 for Spanish"? Spanish speaking teachers at our schools? Spanish interpreters in courts, hospitals, prisons, WELFARE OFFICE?

Nice try.

The moment I hear about all the above being required/expected in Italian, Russian, Gaelic, French, Japanese...I might, just might change my mind. Until then, I stand by what I have always believed and observed: they don't bother assimilating and never will. It is just how it is.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:50 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

As a practical matter there is no legal way for most of the illegals to ever enter the US with a visa allowing them to work. The likely waiting period for such a document for a low socio-economic class Mexican is well past 20 years.

So let us understand they have the choice only of coming illegal or not at all.

That would indicate that practicality rather than disrespect governs their behavior.

Don't read this as a suggestion that we should give them work visas. I would think those should be confined simply to temporary situations where they leave after a set period. I see no reason why we need an influx of poorly educated people from the country next door.

These guys are simply economic refugees....but they come with no disrespect to the US.
Most of us who can't do something legally don't do it. Most of us don't skip lines. It is disrespectful when you march in front of others patiently waiting their turn.

These guys aren't economic refugees. That implies that their home country is in terrible shape economically. Mexico is in fine shape economically with a lower unemployment rate than ours. The truth is that illegals are largely Mexico and Guatemala's underclass. Mexicans don't feel like subsidizing them so they push them to come here. When we push back they protest against us instead of Mexico's government.

We've been incredibly generous to the citizens of many Latino countries. We've allowed literally millions of their least functional citizens to come here. Instead of thankyous we get called kinds of because we have the nerve not to do more for them.

They are some of the world's rudest people.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
So........how come we need labels in Spanish? Option "Press 2 for Spanish"? Spanish speaking teachers at our schools? Spanish interpreters in courts, hospitals, prisons, WELFARE OFFICE?

Nice try.

The moment I hear about all the above being required/expected in Italian, Russian, Gaelic, French, Japanese...I might, just might change my mind. Until then, I stand by what I have always believed and observed: they don't bother assimilating and never will. It is just how it is.
I have been in municipal offices where service was available in Korean, Vietnamese and chinese as well as Spanish and English.

In various places in the country the people running offices and business have decided that service in more than one language is reasonable. Even though people may speak English reasonably well they may still find it more convenient to do the task in their native language.

I would note that I can operate reasonably well in a Mexican supermarket or boatyard. They almost always have a capable English speaker to help separate the gringo from his money. Also true in the Mexican civil service. We once did a complex import export deal where we were returning parts to the state for repair. Not only did the "jefe" speak English he designed and place a new form into the system to allow us to do our task. And a couple of weeks later he helped us get the system to work when the part came back. He got no bribe...though we did send him a bottle of good scotch when the task was done.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:59 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Most of us who can't do something legally don't do it. Most of us don't skip lines. It is disrespectful when you march in front of others patiently waiting their turn.

These guys aren't economic refugees. That implies that their home country is in terrible shape economically. Mexico is in fine shape economically with a lower unemployment rate than ours. The truth is that illegals are largely Mexico and Guatemala's underclass. Mexicans don't feel like subsidizing them so they push them to come here. When we push back they protest against us instead of Mexico's government.

We've been incredibly generous to the citizens of many Latino countries. We've allowed literally millions of their least functional citizens to come here. Instead of thankyous we get called kinds of because we have the nerve not to do more for them.

And if they don't get their way, hell breaks lose. The name calling starts, the race card is pulled out.

If I were from a poor country and had no way of providing for my family and decided to come here and had my children provided with a FREE school education provided for by the taxpayers, I would be thanking GOD for that. But the attitude we get here is the complete opposite.

We are not responsible for educating anyone in the world but our own people and the legal residents of this country.

We are not responsible for supporting the DREAM of anyone else but the ones who are here in this country LEGALLY.

It is not our responsibility to bend over and backwards to accommodate foreigners who refuse to assimilate.

Gosh, the sense of entitlement those people have is beyond RIDICULOUS...

and in the end they are like the bad girlfriend a lot of men have known to have..They will use you for your money, complain when they don't get their way....and some in the end will leave you for someone they think is better and still call you names while forgetting about everything he did for you.

Classic.

PS: I met many Brazilians (while living in Brazil) who spent some time here working illegally and were able to buy brand new cars, expensive clothes because of the money they made here....and all but ONE talked smack about Americans. It happens more often than not. My father will be the first one to tell you that. Freaking amazing.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post

YOu have forgotten prohibition? I would be more inclined to suggest that Americans are glad to obey the law as long as they don't care to violate.

Try pot. Try the drugs in the clubs. You never had a drink until you were 21?

We don't skip lines? I will have my wife talk to you about waiting on a deli counter in the Hamptons.

Mexico is in reasonably good shape...roughly the same as Russia. But that in no way says you can't be an economic refugee. Remember when all the black guys went to Detroit in the 40s and 50s...economic refugees. And within the country.

They don't protest. They are not nuts. They keep a low profile. They get some strong advocacy from their ethnic counterpart but that is an old american custom. Remember the Bund?

We did not allow these illegals to come here. They came in spite of our desire. They don't owe us for any favors. In fact we refuse to give them any sort of an even break...which is our right. They are not here with our permission so we don't owe them anything.

But no they are not the least rude...and if you have dealt with any number of Mexicans you should know better...but they are practical.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
And if they don't get their way, hell breaks lose. The name calling starts, the race card is pulled out.

If I were from a poor country and had no way of providing for my family and decided to come here and had my children provided with a FREE school education provided for by the taxpayers, I would be thanking GOD for that. But the attitude we get here is the complete opposite.

We are not responsible for educating anyone in the world but our own people and the legal residents of this country.

We are not responsible for supporting the DREAM of anyone else but the ones who are here in this country LEGALLY.

It is not our responsibility to bend over and backwards to accommodate foreigners who refuse to assimilate.

Gosh, the sense of entitlement those people have is beyond RIDICULOUS...

and in the end they are like the bad girlfriend a lot of men have known to have..They will use you for your money, complain when they don't get their way....and some in the end will leave you for someone they think is better and still call you names while forgetting about everything he did for you.

Classic.

PS: I met many Brazilians (while living in Brazil) who spent some time here working illegally and were able to buy brand new cars, expensive clothes because of the money they made here....and all but ONE talked smack about Americans. It happens more often than not. My father will be the first one to tell you that. Freaking amazing.
I have just as much of a problem or more with American citizens calling us those nasty names and insults. They attack their fellow Americans for wanting our immigration laws respected and enforced and not wanting yet another failed amnesty. Why do they have so little consideration for their own people and their own country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration