Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:25 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,533 times

Advertisements

I love Herman Cain's new idea on stopping illegal border crossings.

I want us to construct an electric fence on the southern border powered by wind turbines and solar panels.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:29 PM

574 posts, read 1,640,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post

I want us to construct an electric fence on the southern border powered by wind turbines and solar panels.
I would only support it if there was a mandate that it never be turned off, is kept fully functional, incinerates instantly, and can prove itself through initial trials that anything trying to cross it is handled immediately!

Old 10-15-2011, 09:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I'd even go a step further and mine the border. Lots of signs in various languages and publicize the HELL out of it so people will truly be 100% responsible for their own butts if they choose to cross.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:38 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Rabid wolverines strapped to the back of alligators!...

(Sorry, I just had to participate)...

Old 10-15-2011, 10:50 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Whoopssssssssss there it is. At last someone has a somewhat decent ideal, at least an idea to give thought to. Something to consider, we have got to get someone in office, who cares about this damn illegal problem that we face. Obama does not give a sh-- about this problem. We need someone tough on this issue. Not a bad idea, but i am sure out of the woodwork we will here, what a bad idea it is.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:53 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'd even go a step further and mine the border. Lots of signs in various languages and publicize the HELL out of it so people will truly be 100% responsible for their own butts if they choose to cross.

Like your idea, but Obama ain't that Man for this, he could care less about this problem, needs the hispanic vote, so obvious is it not. If we never get someone in office, who cares about this illegal problem, it will only get worse, it will get out of control, if we do not get control of it now. Here and now, we have already let it esclate to out of control and out of reach sort of. We need someone tough on this illegal stance, Obama ain't this man.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:01 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,139 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs View Post
I would only support it if there was a mandate that it never be turned off, is kept fully functional, incinerates instantly, and can prove itself through initial trials that anything trying to cross it is handled immediately!
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Whoopssssssssss there it is. At last someone has a somewhat decent ideal, at least an idea to give thought to. Something to consider, we have got to get someone in office, who cares about this damn illegal problem that we face. Obama does not give a sh-- about this problem. We need someone tough on this issue. Not a bad idea, but i am sure out of the woodwork we will here, what a bad idea it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Like your idea, but Obama ain't that Man for this, he could care less about this problem, needs the hispanic vote, so obvious is it not. If we never get someone in office, who cares about this illegal problem, it will only get worse, it will get out of control, if we do not get control of it now. Here and now, we have already let it esclate to out of control and out of reach sort of. We need someone tough on this illegal stance, Obama ain't this man.
Def time to play hard ball till Mexico cleans up its act, which MAY be never.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:07 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:

Great! How bout you pay for it?

Old 10-15-2011, 11:18 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
All joking aside...who do you expect to pay for this? The border states? Because really, they'll be benefiting most from such an endeavor. And I shudder to think how much energy would be wasted from such a fence that could be going to power who-knows-how-many homes and businesses inside of the US. I think it's a bad idea at best. Fence? Fine. Wall? Okay, I'm open to being convinced. But an electric fence spanning thousands of miles, to be kept running indefinitely? Really? I understand the argument "well we're still paying the costs of illegal immigration" but that solution lies in immigration reform. Not in spending X millions more unnecessary taxpayer dollars when we are in such an economy.

Last edited by Bluefox; 10-15-2011 at 11:34 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 12:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
All joking aside...who do you expect to pay for this? The border states? Because really, they'll be benefiting most from such an endeavor. And I shudder to think how much energy would be wasted from such a fence that could be going to power who-knows-how-many homes and businesses inside of the US. I think it's a bad idea at best. Fence? Fine. Wall? Okay, I'm open to being convinced. But an electric fence spanning thousands of miles, to be kept running indefinitely? Really? I understand the argument "well we're still paying the costs of illegal immigration" but that solution lies in immigration reform. Not in spending X millions more unnecessary taxpayer dollars when we are in such an economy.
It would be cheaper than paying the health care costs and for the schools for their kids and the food stamps and WIC, but really there needs to be more done about visa overstayers. They can simply get a cheap border crossing card (some call them shopping passes) and nothing is done when they decide just not to go back home on time.

A very large number of them get these cards supposedly to come and shop or sometimes if they know someone here it's viewed as a visitor visa but they can use them and head on over to a hospital when ready to give birth, and a large number of them get a stolen social security number and work illegally.

Stopping them from coming over illegally means nothing when the government practically gives them a pass to cross legally but doesn't expect them to abide by the terms of the visa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration