U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 12:15 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,786,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbeans4 View Post
Back to the topic really quick =)
My Grandfather was born in Michigan but his parents came over from Finland. They , of course, came here legally and became citizens. They learned to speak English and worked very hard and above all, had Respect for America. That's my problem with Illegal immigrants (aside from the fact that they are Illegal) it's how most of them have a total lack of respect for America and Americans. And how ungrateful some are for the opportunities they have here. My sister owns a Pizza restaurant in Greeley, Co. and you wouldn't believe how many people come in pretending not to speak English. You'll hear them outside speaking English, but when they come in to order they pretend not to even speak a word of it. Just a personal story which adds to my personal opinion. And all opinions aside, when you come here illegally you are doing something that is against the law. That should be the end of the story.

I agree, like I said before both sets of grandparents came from Italy and were proud to be American, my father said they would only speak English in the house. That was a different time and a different mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Ehhh..... I wouldn't call it good, but maybe now I also wouldn't call it arrogent, self centered, egotistical or pompous. Is that a step in the right direction? =)

You are so funny.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:45 AM

2,098 posts, read 5,783,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
I agree, like I said before both sets of grandparents came from Italy and were proud to be American, my father said they would only speak English in the house. That was a different time and a different mindset.

Same here. However, all of my great-grandparents were from Italy, but only a couple of grandparents were born there. They all did what they had to do be here LEGALLY!!! The other two were born here. They all spoke both English and Italian and taught it to their children (my two American grandparents, my parents, aunts, uncles, etc.) But they (the Italian-born) wanted to be Americans and so they always spoke English outside of the house and spoke both while inside the house. So I learned some Italian when I was a kid (and I took it in school too). I think it's good to be skilled in more than one language (not that I'm very skilled anymore) but when we were younger, if people would ask "what are you", we'd say "Italian" and my father would freak out. He'd give us this huge lecture how we are Americans, he didn't care if we said Americans of Italian descent but we were AMERICANS and we should always be proud of that and honor that. Both of my parents came from a family of Army men (dad served during Vietnam, gramps and two uncles in WWII, my one uncle actually got shot in the face and bled for two days before he was found...luckily for us, he lived until I was 15) anyway, back on track...so my dad was hardcore patriotic....and my point is, I am thankful for all of the above and I am an AMERICAN, I SPEAK ENGLISH, I WORK AND PAY TAXES AND I LOVE AND HONOR MY COUNTRY.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Same here. However, all of my great-grandparents were from Italy, but only a couple of grandparents were born there. They all did what they had to do be here LEGALLY!!! The other two were born here. They all spoke both English and Italian and taught it to their children (my two American grandparents, my parents, aunts, uncles, etc.) But they (the Italian-born) wanted to be Americans and so they always spoke English outside of the house and spoke both while inside the house. So I learned some Italian when I was a kid (and I took it in school too). I think it's good to be skilled in more than one language (not that I'm very skilled anymore) but when we were younger, if people would ask "what are you", we'd say "Italian" and my father would freak out. He'd give us this huge lecture how we are Americans, he didn't care if we said Americans of Italian descent but we were AMERICANS and we should always be proud of that and honor that. Both of my parents came from a family of Army men (dad served during Vietnam, gramps and two uncles in WWII, my one uncle actually got shot in the face and bled for two days before he was found...luckily for us, he lived until I was 15) anyway, back on track...so my dad was hardcore patriotic....and my point is, I am thankful for all of the above and I am an AMERICAN, I SPEAK ENGLISH, I WORK AND PAY TAXES AND I LOVE AND HONOR MY COUNTRY.

Absolutely, the Italians they really loved this country and were very proud to be here, they never forgot their heritage and their country but they respected the national language and were happy to learn it. I guess back then they also had no choice. What if they didn't have a choice today? What if we didn't make it so easy?

Old 09-17-2006, 01:15 AM

2,098 posts, read 5,783,630 times
You're right...I say we dare the government to make it hard again! But no, they probably didn't have a choice back then...and they weren't all treated very well when they came here...you know the nicknames back then, w.o.p., d.e.g.o.(sp? pronounced day-go), greenhorn and the ever so popular updated nickname...ginny, etc. But they didn't cry the blues. Maybe they shouldn't have a choice today, I don't know. All I know is it's too crazy here, we are so overpopulated and half of them don't belong here. Imagine how much room this land would have if all the illegals were shipped back?

Old 09-17-2006, 04:31 AM

246 posts, read 204,146 times
Quote:
Ehhh..... I wouldn't call it good, but maybe now I also wouldn't call it arrogent, self centered, egotistical or pompous. Is that a step in the right direction? =)
OK, ok, it just means I'm getting lazy.

Magpies

Old 09-17-2006, 10:33 AM

421 posts, read 337,961 times
Here is an interesting article.
http://www.newswithviews.com/Devvy/kidd108.htm

Old 09-17-2006, 07:28 PM

126 posts, read 285,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies View Post
OK, ok, it just means I'm getting lazy.

Magpies
Aren't you the slightest bit concerned that these threads might fall to pieces without your wisdom and intellect? How can we possibly understand it all if the person who knows it all has gotten too lazy to keep us informed?

Old 09-17-2006, 09:22 PM

311 posts, read 549,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Same here. However, all of my great-grandparents were from Italy, but only a couple of grandparents were born there. They all did what they had to do be here LEGALLY!!!

and my point is, I am thankful for all of the above and I am an AMERICAN, I SPEAK ENGLISH, I WORK AND PAY TAXES AND I LOVE AND HONOR MY COUNTRY.
Great post! Sums it up quite well!!

Old 09-18-2006, 08:07 AM

246 posts, read 204,146 times
Quote:
Aren't you the slightest bit concerned that these threads might fall to pieces without your wisdom and intellect? How can we possibly understand it all if the person who knows it all has gotten too lazy to keep us informed?
I'm billable by the hour. Some of my work is pro-bono, but if you want more you gotta pay.

Magpies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or