U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2006, 03:45 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,764 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

All illegals should be sent back to their country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2006, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Maine
15,080 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Reputation: 17188
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBeranek View Post
All illegals should be sent back to their country
I've met Native Americans who would agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2006, 05:00 PM
 
1,126 posts, read 3,516,602 times
Reputation: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yep.

Not only because we need to protect American jobs and workers, but because we need to protect immigrants' rights.

If people want to come to this country to work, they need to do so legally so that they can stand under the full protection of the law. I'm tired of businesses small and large taking advantage of illegal immigrants in order to increase their bottom line. It is unpatriotic and it is immoral. Shame on them.
So who will mow the lawns, clean your house, or even pick your strawberries? I know not one friend who will do the above for $5hr in 100* weather outside. So, I ask, where is the happy medium?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2006, 05:03 PM
 
1,126 posts, read 3,516,602 times
Reputation: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I've met Native Americans who would agree with you.
Agree, do you know how many people would have to go back? I have Cherokee in me. So, where to you draw the line? How many of your grandparents stood in line for days in New York? Yes, they were let in. But, what if they said no?

There has to be a better way. A better mouse trap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2006, 06:08 PM
 
Location: FLORENCE
3 posts, read 8,568 times
Reputation: 15
I Say Put The Walls Up-- Make Them Come Here Legally And Give Them Visa's If They Do 1 Thing Against The Law- Send Them Packing, 1 Strike Gone. They Would Have To Get Work Visa's In Turn Pay Taxes And Look Forward To Doing It The American Way.. Costly But Hey We Are Free...... To Come And Go Where We Want! But We Pay For It.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2006, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Maine
15,080 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Reputation: 17188
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
So who will mow the lawns, clean your house, or even pick your strawberries? I know not one friend who will do the above for $5hr in 100* weather outside. So, I ask, where is the happy medium?
Citizens will mow the lawns, clean the houses, and pick the strawberries. They might not do it in 100 degree heat for $2 an hour -- nor should they. They should be payed a decent wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2006, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Maine
15,080 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Reputation: 17188
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Agree, do you know how many people would have to go back? I have Cherokee in me. So, where to you draw the line? How many of your grandparents stood in line for days in New York? Yes, they were let in. But, what if they said no?

There has to be a better way. A better mouse trap!
I was being flippant to prove a point: The reason immigrants are coming here illegally is in hopes of a better life. The same reason our ancestors came here. Their motives are not bad. Their actions are.

How do we fix it?

We could spend tens of billions of dollars "roundin' 'em up and shippin' 'em back!" Then spend more tens of billions to round up the same people the next week. Endless cycle.

Or we could get to the root of the problem: Businesses who knowingly hire illegal aliens in order to increase their profits. Start fining businesses and putting lawbreaking business-owners in jail. It won't take long before they'll stop hiring illegals. If the illegals stop having work, the flood will turn into a trickle. We can control a trickle.

Then the immigrants who want to come here and build a life can do so legally and enjoy the full protection guaranteed them under the Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2006, 09:08 PM
 
1,104 posts, read 3,058,533 times
Reputation: 571
I understand everyone wants to sound politically correct. I understand not wanting to sound heartless, but, once again--illegal is illegal. Coming here and not wanting to assimilate does not appear to me to really be trying for a better life. And most important--too often illegals aren't coming empty handed. Check out the DEA website. Check out where the drugs are coming from. Check out what gangs that leads to and how much of a rise in crime it leads to. Violent crime rose in 2005 for the first time since the early ninties.
I would love nothing more than to have endless money and be able to take care of the whole world and let everyone just live. Trouble is we don't have endless money and we're getting weaker as we grow more dependent on China and other countries for all of goods to supply us (since we no longer are the top manufacturers of the world) and loans to pay for all of government spending (which includes all the programs to pay for all the services for illegals). We don't have endless resources to take care of the whole world. Why aren't we insisting Mexico take care of it's own people? We need to start thinking about what we are going to leave to our next generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2006, 09:36 PM
 
311 posts, read 549,391 times
Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
I understand everyone wants to sound politically correct. I understand not wanting to sound heartless, but, once again--illegal is illegal. Coming here and not wanting to assimilate does not appear to me to really be trying for a better life. And most important--too often illegals aren't coming empty handed. Check out the DEA website. Check out where the drugs are coming from. Check out what gangs that leads to and how much of a rise in crime it leads to. Violent crime rose in 2005 for the first time since the early ninties.
I would love nothing more than to have endless money and be able to take care of the whole world and let everyone just live. Trouble is we don't have endless money and we're getting weaker as we grow more dependent on China and other countries for all of goods to supply us (since we no longer are the top manufacturers of the world) and loans to pay for all of government spending (which includes all the programs to pay for all the services for illegals). We don't have endless resources to take care of the whole world. Why aren't we insisting Mexico take care of it's own people? We need to start thinking about what we are going to leave to our next generation.
grammy, good luck with repeating the phrase "illegal is illegal" .....I do the same in most of my posts but I don't think it means the same to us as it does to many. I really believe that crime (ILLEGAL is against the law, folks) should NOT pay. We are rewarding people who break the law.

I agree with Mark S. in part. I think companies/corporations should be punished for hiring illegals. Where I don't agree is that I believe there would still be MANY who would still come here for the better life. I think we would still be paying for health care and educating them in our schools. If they only want to come here for a job that pays good (by mexican standards) and for a better life, why do so many immediately have a child every 9-10 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2006, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Comunistafornia, and working to get out ASAP!
1,959 posts, read 4,640,979 times
Reputation: 919
it should be in this order:

1. Double fence on all 2000 miles with towers, sensors, camera's, military stationed on the border.
2. All illegals out, back to where ever they came from.
3. All business that have or are currently hiring illegals pay a huge fine.
4. A halt on ALL immagration for at least 10 years, 20 better.
Moderator cut: Let's not start a war
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top