U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 10:31 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,516,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjohnston163@aol.com View Post
I Say Put The Walls Up-- Make Them Come Here Legally And Give Them Visa's If They Do 1 Thing Against The Law- Send Them Packing, 1 Strike Gone. They Would Have To Get Work Visa's In Turn Pay Taxes And Look Forward To Doing It The American Way.. Costly But Hey We Are Free...... To Come And Go Where We Want! But We Pay For It.
Agree!..................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 10:33 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,516,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I was being flippant to prove a point: The reason immigrants are coming here illegally is in hopes of a better life. The same reason our ancestors came here. Their motives are not bad. Their actions are.

How do we fix it?

We could spend tens of billions of dollars "roundin' 'em up and shippin' 'em back!" Then spend more tens of billions to round up the same people the next week. Endless cycle.

Or we could get to the root of the problem: Businesses who knowingly hire illegal aliens in order to increase their profits. Start fining businesses and putting lawbreaking business-owners in jail. It won't take long before they'll stop hiring illegals. If the illegals stop having work, the flood will turn into a trickle. We can control a trickle.

Then the immigrants who want to come here and build a life can do so legally and enjoy the full protection guaranteed them under the Constitution.
Agree!.......................

Old 09-22-2006, 07:52 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Citizens will mow the lawns, clean the houses, and pick the strawberries. They might not do it in 100 degree heat for $2 an hour -- nor should they. They should be payed a decent wage.
i SAY PEOPLE GET OFF THEIR LAZY BUTTS AND CUT THEIR OWN DARN GRASS, AND CLEAn THEIR OWN HOUSES, AND I DONT EAT STRAWBERRIES, BUT I PICKED THEM AS A TEENAGER, make them do it!!! sorry caps lock was on!!!

Old 09-22-2006, 10:11 AM

15,078 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Coming here and not wanting to assimilate does not appear to me to really be trying for a better life.
You mean like our own ancestors?

I don't recall many of the Pilgrims taking the buckles off their hats and moving into wigwams.

Quote:
Why aren't we insisting Mexico take care of it's own people?
Good question!

It's because those currently in power don't really want to end the immigration problem, because so many of the Big Business folks who put them in office depend upon illegal immigrant labor to shore up their company profits. So our leaders make a lot of noise and rattle a lot of sabers, but when it comes to fixing the problem, they really aren't interested.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:39 AM

421 posts, read 337,784 times
Default Here's the Truth!

Food for Thought

----------

Recently someone was browsing through the 40th Anniversary Issue of
Reader's Digest (dated Feb. 1962), and came across this reprint from
The Washington News. And found it quite interesting considering our
Current debates!
The Quote:

"Vice President Lyndon Johnson received the following
Message from an Indian (Native American) on a reservation:

'Be careful with your immigration laws. We were careless
With ours.'

Old 09-22-2006, 11:00 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,058,533 times
Mark S--No, the Pilgrims didn't move into wigwams. I will give you that one. And the fact that most weren't willing to respect the Indians and just wanted to make this land theirs caused a lot of fighting and a lot bloodshed. I can't change anything that happened in the past, but I can try to avoid it happening in the future.
Read all these posts on here. People are trying to find a better place to live--one with no crime because the place they live now is becoming so unsafe with the rise in illegals or gangs or drugs or all of the above. People are too crowded because the population has grown so much where they currently live and, therefore, housing has become so expensive.
I'm sorry, but I don't think we have the resources anymore to handle all of these people sneeking in.
I don't understand what our politicians are thinking. We invade Iraq "so the people there can have a better life.", but we don't insist in any way that the goverment of Mexico treat it's people better and they're right on our border. We invade Iraq because "they're a threat." As far as weapons of mass destruction, Iran and North Korea are way more of a threat. And closer to home--these drugs being brought over illegally and the crime that comes with them pose a much greater threat to most Americans.
I also agree that the corporations that hire these illegals need to be punished. Most illegals just need to go home (though many have broken the other laws as well). The people who employ them--huge fines and/or jail time.
I think this is a tremendous problem that threatens the future of this country. That's just my belief. If anyone believes differently, I hope they're right and I'm wrong.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:03 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Quote:
Mark S--No, the Pilgrims didn't move into wigwams. I will give you that one. And the fact that most weren't willing to respect the Indians and just wanted to make this land theirs caused a lot of fighting and a lot bloodshed. I can't change anything that happened in the past, but I can try to avoid it happening in the future.
Read all these posts on here. People are trying to find a better place to live--one with no crime because the place they live now is becoming so unsafe with the rise in illegals or gangs or drugs or all of the above. People are too crowded because the population has grown so much where they currently live and, therefore, housing has become so expensive.
I'm sorry, but I don't think we have the resources anymore to handle all of these people sneeking in.
I don't understand what our politicians are thinking. We invade Iraq "so the people there can have a better life.", but we don't insist in any way that the goverment of Mexico treat it's people better and they're right on our border. We invade Iraq because "they're a threat." As far as weapons of mass destruction, Iran and North Korea are way more of a threat. And closer to home--these drugs being brought over illegally and the crime that comes with them pose a much greater threat to most Americans.
I also agree that the corporations that hire these illegals need to be punished. Most illegals just need to go home (though many have broken the other laws as well). The people who employ them--huge fines and/or jail time.
I think this is a tremendous problem that threatens the future of this country. That's just my belief. If anyone believes differently, I hope they're right and I'm wrong.
just because we didnt find any weapons of mass destruction doesnt mean the creep didnt have them and yes I am more worried about Iran and N. Korea now, them people are crazy!!!

Old 09-22-2006, 11:04 AM

15,078 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
I don't understand what our politicians are thinking. We invade Iraq "so the people there can have a better life.", but we don't insist in any way that the goverment of Mexico treat it's people better and they're right on our border. We invade Iraq because "they're a threat." As far as weapons of mass destruction, Iran and North Korea are way more of a threat.
Preach it, sister! Preach it!

Old 09-22-2006, 12:30 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Default Yes, I'm against hiring illegals

My written solution to this ongoing human tragedy is rather long, and is posted elsewhere on city-data, so I won't crosspost.

Try this link if you care to read it. Would appreciate comments and discussion but not name-calling or anger at me for my ideas.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/other...html#post99818 (msg 13 p2).

Old 09-22-2006, 01:40 PM

421 posts, read 337,784 times
Default The Border

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=72986 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or