U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:56 AM

126 posts, read 285,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
You definitely have to target the businesses immediately. I would start at a $100k fine per employee for the first offence and revoke their business license for any offence after the first.
In another post they were talking about the middle class going away. Illegal immigration driving down wages is the reason. My neighbor’s son worked in construction and made a decent living until all the illegals came. His boss offered to keep him, but the pay was one third what he was paying. How many can take that kind of pay cut and continue to work?
I absolutely agree! Go right for the businesses big fat pockets. And the IRS also needs to do away with the fact that you can write off a certain amount of money for labor with no documentation to back it up. It's not a large amount of money, but it's enough. I like the revoking their license idea too, if only someone could really make that happen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2006, 01:34 PM

246 posts, read 204,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbeans4 View Post
Since you must be the most informed, worldly person on the Earth, Please enlighten me as to how you think that Walmart could actually get away with hiring that many illegals?
Simple. I read. Try it.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...-arrests_x.htm

Quote:
Just in case you haven't noticed Walmart is watched very closely. (probably thanks to anti-Walmart people such as yourself) It is still illegal to hire Illegal immigrants always has been . What it boils dwon to is WHO GETS CAUGHT. Not everyone is audited by the DOL, but my company was, and if I paid out money to ANYONE I sure as hell better have proof that they were documented (SS card) CITIZENS. (I'll repeat that we have never hired illegal immigrants) The companies that hire ilegal immigrants are the ones that don't verify the employees info (or they just won't) and then don't get audited ,(either by the IRS or the DOL) or they 1099 fake SS #'s and as long as no one double checks then they are scott free and get to write off all that money in labor. If you understood how businesses are run you would know that. And don't write back saying "Oh I own my own business, blah blah blah." because you've already said enough for this entire forum, or anyone that has EVER had to file paperwork for a corporation, to know that you have no clue what you are talking about. And maybe in my particular experience I have never seen anyone other than a White guy cooking at Denny's when I order scrambled eggs and whole wheat toast,( hold the special sauce.)
Your defensiveness is gorgeous. With many years in M&A, actually I do know a thing or two about how businesses are run, including the off-balance sheet transactions, under-the-table payouts, and shell companies. It happens a lot more than you think. The large corporates pay armies of consultants to enable them to pull off a lot more than a mom & pop shop can. That's why you get reamed and the big guys don't.

Enjoy your breakfast. But stick your neck into the kitchen -- you never know who hires white guys these days.

Magpies

Last edited by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies; 09-11-2006 at 01:46 PM..

Old 09-11-2006, 02:05 PM

15,082 posts, read 19,724,141 times
Quote:
The companies that hire ilegal immigrants are the ones that don't verify the employees info (or they just won't) and then don't get audited ,(either by the IRS or the DOL) or they 1099 fake SS #'s and as long as no one double checks then they are scott free and get to write off all that money in labor.
Most companies who hire illegals know exactly what they're doing. Where I grew up, most of the dairies, farms, ranches, and construction crews hired loads of illegals. Some places had mostly illegals working there. Pay them in cash and there's no paper trail. Work them 60-80 hours a week, paying them less than half of minimum wage, and if they complain, fire 'em and hire the next truck load.

This kind of stuff doesn't happen everywhere. But there are lots of places where it is way more common than it should be.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:41 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,783,630 times
For everyones' information, Walmart is not very legit. My uncle is the president of one of the grocery store locals and they have been fighting against more Walmarts being put up. Why? Because they hire outside of the American race which in turns takes jobs away from us. They are not Union, they do not offer benefits, they do not allow full time workers as they then would require full time benefits and privelges. It is a horrible company to work for and I do not support it whatsoever. Butterbeans, you better double check your theories. I don't mean that offensively, however, just realize that although we all thought Walmart was the greatest thing since sliced bread, what lies beneath is a lot of deceit. It's probably not much different from the "sweat shop" workers, maybe a step or two above.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:00 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,151,352 times
I wasn't going to comment in this thread again, but I just had to pipe in and say that I worked at Wal-Mart one summer during college. There were plenty of illegals working there, probably 10-20 at the store I worked at. In fact, when I was interviewed, the store manager was very upfront with me about it and even joked about it, telling me that I was the first "legal American" he'd hired in awhile. I'm not saying that this particular store was indicative of Wal-Mart as a whole, just that it can and does happen in Wal-Mart.

And yes, Wal-Mart is a horrible company just in general.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:10 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,166,932 times
Sam Walton's principles died with him, imo.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:34 PM

Wow, I never said Walmart was a golden child, but apparently no one has been in a situation where they simply couldn't afford to shop anywhere else. Walmart has good prices, there was a time in my life that I HAD to have that so I became a fan. When I was 24 I was a Dept. Mngr.at a Super Walmart in Montana. I had benefits, I had a 401K, I had a good paycheck, I had 9-5 M-F hours. It's not some Giant Evil entity, it may not be great, but it's not the downfall of all things American either. And to Mark S., that's what I was saying, it's everywhere and they know what they are doing. Yes, Alot more companies are doing it than people are aware of. I only know what I know from being in the construction industry in Georgia. We are too small of a company to pay anything out in cash, everything I pay out I have to write off so there is always a paper trail, which doesnt even matter because we have nothing to hide. I'm just trying to make the point that everything I write is based on my own personal experience, NOT something someone else told me.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:52 PM

313 posts, read 745,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
For everyones' information, Walmart is not very legit. They are not Union, they do not offer benefits, they do not allow full time workers as they then would require full time benefits and privelges. It is a horrible company to work for and I do not support it whatsoever.
No, Walmart is not union but they do allow full time workers and full benefits. My Mom used to be in management at a Walmart and she had profit sharing and a 401K that had a nice amount in it after 12 years. My sis worked there as well. She was full time from almost day 1. She had full medical benefits and paid nothing when she had her son. They start out higher than minimum wage around here which is better than most and they give decent raises. The Walmart that they worked at always had the unions coming in trying to get the employees to sign up with them and the employees did not want it. It did not matter if corporate or the store management wanted it, the employees were the ones to make the choice. Maybe it is different in other states but this was their experience here in Ca.

I'd have to agree that Sam Walton's principles died with him.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
No, Walmart is not union but they do allow full time workers and full benefits. My Mom used to be in management at a Walmart and she had profit sharing and a 401K that had a nice amount in it after 12 years. My sis worked there as well. She was full time from almost day 1. She had full medical benefits and paid nothing when she had her son. They start out higher than minimum wage around here which is better than most and they give decent raises. The Walmart that they worked at always had the unions coming in trying to get the employees to sign up with them and the employees did not want it. It did not matter if corporate or the store management wanted it, the employees were the ones to make the choice. Maybe it is different in other states but this was their experience here in Ca.

I'd have to agree that Sam Walton's principles died with him.
Thankyou =) I was sitting here momentarily wondering where all the animosity came from. =) Whew.
That was my very same experience when I lived in Montana. I made $9.10/hr. back in 1999 in a state that is notorious for mostly only offering minimum wage jobs. For some reason alot of people on this thread are anti-Walmart. You and Electron are right, it's not the same place Sam Walton founded( but I'm still glad it's here.)

Last edited by butterbeans4; 09-11-2006 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Forgot something

Old 09-11-2006, 05:53 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,115,900 times
would like some opinions on this:

About a year before 9/11 my mother met someone that she fell in love with and they were married in August of that year. He is from Turkey and was being sponsored legally by his brother while applying for all the other proper paperwork. He was working and paying taxes. When 9/11 happened things understandably changed with immigration laws and it has made it impossible for him to get his green card. In addition he has two children that were still in Turkey and now my mother has sponsored them and they are here. He is a hard worker, treats my mother great and still pays taxes but he is illegal. Not because he didn't do the right thing but because of what happened on 9/11. I'm not saying I agree with hiring illegals and by telling you this I'm might be opening myself up to some unkind words but I am intereted in what people say to this. What has happened is, he cannot get a job unless someone hires him without the proper paperwork, so a lot of times he is out of work. Other times he will get hired and then the people don't pay him after he's worked for a week or two because he has noone he can go to and complain. Now because of this obviously it's very hard for them to pay the bills and there are two children involved that are very sweet, good kids. He came to this country, like so many people have with a dream for a better life, willing to work hard for it. If I was from most other countries I would probably do the same.

Please don't respond with, tell your mother to leave him because trust me it also crossed my mind. With the two kids involved that consider her mom and me sister, if she left him the kids would have nowhere to go. They would probably be forced to go back to a horrible life.

For those who will say, he probably married her to get his card.......I thought of that a long time ago but it's not true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or