U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2006, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Nowhere near Elko, NV
246 posts, read 203,902 times
Reputation: 52

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbeans4 View Post
Wow, I never said Walmart was a golden child, but apparently no one has been in a situation where they simply couldn't afford to shop anywhere else. Walmart has good prices, there was a time in my life that I HAD to have that so I became a fan. When I was 24 I was a Dept. Mngr.at a Super Walmart in Montana. I had benefits, I had a 401K, I had a good paycheck, I had 9-5 M-F hours. It's not some Giant Evil entity, it may not be great, but it's not the downfall of all things American either. And to Mark S., that's what I was saying, it's everywhere and they know what they are doing. Yes, Alot more companies are doing it than people are aware of. I only know what I know from being in the construction industry in Georgia. We are too small of a company to pay anything out in cash, everything I pay out I have to write off so there is always a paper trail, which doesnt even matter because we have nothing to hide. I'm just trying to make the point that everything I write is based on my own personal experience, NOT something someone else told me.
That's the problem. You only believe what you see, or what you think you see.

There's a reason why Wal Mart is so rich and so **** cheap. They didn't get where they are today by supporting American manufacturing or fighting for American labor. They buy their crap from China, mark it up, and pack onto their margins by screwing what domestic labor they have. You can take the pollyanna point of view and say "well, folks on a budget can't afford to shop anywhere else". The factory bosses in Shenzhen thank you.

Magpies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2006, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Nowhere near Elko, NV
246 posts, read 203,902 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
No, Walmart is not union but they do allow full time workers and full benefits. My Mom used to be in management at a Walmart and she had profit sharing and a 401K that had a nice amount in it after 12 years. My sis worked there as well. She was full time from almost day 1. She had full medical benefits and paid nothing when she had her son. They start out higher than minimum wage around here which is better than most and they give decent raises. The Walmart that they worked at always had the unions coming in trying to get the employees to sign up with them and the employees did not want it. It did not matter if corporate or the store management wanted it, the employees were the ones to make the choice. Maybe it is different in other states but this was their experience here in Ca.

I'd have to agree that Sam Walton's principles died with him.
Key point: full time workers have benefits. What percent of the staff was full time? How many were working 39 hour weeks? It's good to hear management gets benefits. What about the poor schlubs working the floor?

As for the employees not wanting a union -- choosing between the union and having the only job in town after the downtown got shuttered, not a hard one to figure out. Wal Mart is notorious about closing stores that go union.

Magpies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2006, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Nowhere near Elko, NV
246 posts, read 203,902 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
would like some opinions on this:

About a year before 9/11 my mother met someone that she fell in love with and they were married in August of that year. He is from Turkey and was being sponsored legally by his brother while applying for all the other proper paperwork. He was working and paying taxes. When 9/11 happened things understandably changed with immigration laws and it has made it impossible for him to get his green card. In addition he has two children that were still in Turkey and now my mother has sponsored them and they are here. He is a hard worker, treats my mother great and still pays taxes but he is illegal. Not because he didn't do the right thing but because of what happened on 9/11. I'm not saying I agree with hiring illegals and by telling you this I'm might be opening myself up to some unkind words but I am intereted in what people say to this. What has happened is, he cannot get a job unless someone hires him without the proper paperwork, so a lot of times he is out of work. Other times he will get hired and then the people don't pay him after he's worked for a week or two because he has noone he can go to and complain. Now because of this obviously it's very hard for them to pay the bills and there are two children involved that are very sweet, good kids. He came to this country, like so many people have with a dream for a better life, willing to work hard for it. If I was from most other countries I would probably do the same.

Please don't respond with, tell your mother to leave him because trust me it also crossed my mind. With the two kids involved that consider her mom and me sister, if she left him the kids would have nowhere to go. They would probably be forced to go back to a horrible life.

For those who will say, he probably married her to get his card.......I thought of that a long time ago but it's not true
This is a tough story, and I sympathize. But I sympathize more with the hard luck cases who are waiting in line legally.

Magpies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,098 posts, read 5,782,313 times
Reputation: 938
Regarding Walmart: Maybe it's not the same all over, I'm not sure how that works. But I do know that here, that is the issue with Walmarts. I stand firm in that and I don't think they should be allowed to franchise so largely and give jobs to people who are here legally. Our government should make sure every American and/or legal citizen can find job security, no matter what they need to do to achieve that, before anyone else gets it....period.

Rapture, that is a sad story and I sympathize as well. However, I again must stand firm on my beliefs that people who are here illegally should not be here. Unfortunately, September 11th has caused a lot of problems for everyone. It took away our innocence and people no longer trust anyone anymore. So many things have changed. It's nice to hear that maybe we are starting to tighten up with that sort of thing, but it's not good that someone who really wants to be here is suffering because of those events, because there are people who truly love and respect our country. In defense of your mom's boyfriend however, if he's SO illegal and can't get a job here until paperwork goes through and doesn't have any rights as a citizen, then we shouldn't be taking taxes from him either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2006, 09:56 PM
 
Location: In exile, plotting my coup
2,408 posts, read 13,148,341 times
Reputation: 1784
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies View Post
Key point: full time workers have benefits. What percent of the staff was full time? How many were working 39 hour weeks? It's good to hear management gets benefits. What about the poor schlubs working the floor?

As for the employees not wanting a union -- choosing between the union and having the only job in town after the downtown got shuttered, not a hard one to figure out. Wal Mart is notorious about closing stores that go union.
DING DING DING! It seems like you have a good grasp on some of Wal Mart's tactics. I don't mean to single out Wal Mart by any means as corporate greed certainly isn't limited to it, but it's just that Wal Mart is the company that we're talking about now, and the one that I myself have experience with.

And yes, the benefits are for full-time workers only and they make sure they minimize the cost of those benefits by keeping almost all of the staff at JUST below 40 hours per week. They are very strict with it too.

Rapture, I have a question that is perhaps naive. I was always under the impression that once a foreign national married an American citizen, they receive their Green Card some two or three years later. Is this no longer the case? Or is it specifically the fact that your mother's husband is from Turkey, that is causing the process to be delayed as there is now more scrutiny to those coming from the Middle East and Muslim nations?

Last edited by dullnboring; 09-11-2006 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: forgot to ask rapture about his post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2006, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Stockton, Ca
313 posts, read 744,922 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies View Post
Key point: full time workers have benefits. What percent of the staff was full time? How many were working 39 hour weeks? It's good to hear management gets benefits. What about the poor schlubs working the floor?

As for the employees not wanting a union -- choosing between the union and having the only job in town after the downtown got shuttered, not a hard one to figure out. Wal Mart is notorious about closing stores that go union.

Magpies
Actually full time was considered at 32 hours a week. Part time workers could get benefits as well, they just had to pay a little more. If you read my post better, you would have seen that my Mom was in management and I never said my sis was. She was a regular ol floor person and she had benefits.

There was/is plenty of other places in town to work. Walmart actually pays better than most when you don't have many work skills or experience. The downtown was basically non existant way before Walmart came in. There was already a Target in town by the time WM came and hey, WM was paying more than Target did. I really don't think that they would have shut down that WM store if they went union. They were the most profitable store in Ca for the longest time. You missed the key point there- the employees did NOT want to go union!

I agree WM may not be the greatest but when it comes to how they treat their employees (benefits and such) they do alright and better than a lot of other places. How the upper management treats their employees is a totally different story as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2006, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,098 posts, read 5,782,313 times
Reputation: 938
StampinTami: I think you read Magpies response incorrectly regarding going Union. You made a comment: "I really don't think that they would have shut down that WM store if they went union." and "key point, the employees did NOT want to go union". That's what we're all saying, Walmart is NOT union. I believe magpies point was that whatever other companies these people work for, that's where they did not want to go Union, because Walmart comes in and shuts them down. If I'm wrong Magpies, then I apologize but that's what I took from it. StampinTami, Walmart is not union. The problem is that when another company is, for example, Shoprite, A&P, Pathmark, etc. Walmart comes in and builds, they then put in their own deli, bakery, flower shop, clothing department, non-perishable dept., some even have a nail salon, hair salon and even a McDonald's in them...you get the point. Now, people start going to Walmart because they can hit 12 different stores in one simple building. That's taking away jobs for all of those other people who work in Shoprite, A&P, nail salons, hair salons...I'm sure Walmart can offer a better pay incentive in some situations, however, they're not offering the other benefits that people reap by being in a Union. So now, you get illegal immigrants, people who don't speak English and God knows what else working these jobs and raking in the cash (they don't care about benefits because they're taking the welfare from the state and whatever else our government provides for illegals and non-English speaking citizens these days) so they don't need the benefits or the stability of what a Union offers. Then they send half their money back to their own d*mn country so the rest of the family can get rich or hop the boat to come here and take more of what the government is offering...and the end result, all those hard-working honest Americans are in the unemployment line because their Shoprite, A&P or nail salon has closed down due to lack of business.

Last edited by pixieshmoo; 09-11-2006 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2006, 12:48 AM
 
Location: PSL,FL
421 posts, read 337,668 times
Reputation: 87
Walmart, Kmart, Target and so on...they're all in the same boat as i see it...there are tons of illegals everywhere...an explosion of them...they are putting contractors out of work here in Fl left and right...what really burns my buns about it is that Publix and Walmart hire tons of mentally challenged individuals that adore working and i am sure they'd also do whatever illegals are doing as well...so why aren't they? We have illegals that are actually doing electrical and plumbing work with no certification of any kind!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2006, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Stockton, Ca
313 posts, read 744,922 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
StampinTami: I think you read Magpies response incorrectly regarding going Union. You made a comment: "I really don't think that they would have shut down that WM store if they went union." and "key point, the employees did NOT want to go union". That's what we're all saying, Walmart is NOT union. I believe magpies point was that whatever other companies these people work for, that's where they did not want to go Union, because Walmart comes in and shuts them down. If I'm wrong Magpies, then I apologize but that's what I took from it. StampinTami, Walmart is not union. The problem is that when another company is, for example, Shoprite, A&P, Pathmark, etc. Walmart comes in and builds, they then put in their own deli, bakery, flower shop, clothing department, non-perishable dept., some even have a nail salon, hair salon and even a McDonald's in them...you get the point. Now, people start going to Walmart because they can hit 12 different stores in one simple building. That's taking away jobs for all of those other people who work in Shoprite, A&P, nail salons, hair salons...I'm sure Walmart can offer a better pay incentive in some situations, however, they're not offering the other benefits that people reap by being in a Union. So now, you get illegal immigrants, people who don't speak English and God knows what else working these jobs and raking in the cash (they don't care about benefits because they're taking the welfare from the state and whatever else our government provides for illegals and non-English speaking citizens these days) so they don't need the benefits or the stability of what a Union offers. Then they send half their money back to their own d*mn country so the rest of the family can get rich or hop the boat to come here and take more of what the government is offering...and the end result, all those hard-working honest Americans are in the unemployment line because their Shoprite, A&P or nail salon has closed down due to lack of business.
Ok, Maybe I took what he wrote the wrong way. You said it matters that the other company is a union. Why would that matter? My point was they didn't want a union. They could have chosen to bring a union in and they chose not to. They didn't want everything that comes with a union. They didn't (I don't either!) see what is so great about a union. They felt they had really good benefits for working somewhere like WM.
Who cares if they bring in all these diff departments? A deli- we don't really have free standing delis around here...they are mostly in grocery stores (chain stores), bakery- same thing, we have a flower dept not an actual shop and they don't have a good selection or quality, the hair and nail salons don't seem to be very busy ever, Mc D's is just like having one outside the store (in fact we have both). We have had a regular WM for years and we just got our first SuperCenter (1st in Ca) a couple of years ago. Before WM came in we had the choice of clothes from the mall (way overpriced) and electronic stuff from the electronic chain stores. We didn't have many mom and pop shops that we always hear about in the WM argument. Even if we did, I think that WM is able to employ a heck of a lot more people than a little shop, pay better wages and offer medical benefits.
My city is like 30% hispanic (atleast!) and I don't see many hispanics working at WM (they can work/make more somewhere else!). They all work for companies like lawn care, painting, electrical, and construction. We also have a lot of ag stuff and a lot of them work there, I'm sure. I see the hiring of illegals more of an issue with construction type businesses and factories/ canneries. I know plenty of young men that would have loved to have had a well paying construction type job or even factory job but they were over looked. Most of the factory type jobs were requiring the workers to know Spanish so they could communicate with the other workers and supervisors in some cases. This was 6-7 years ago so I can only imagine what it is like now! I know all too well how illegals can hurt America (don't need to be preached at!) I live in freakin Mexifornia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2006, 06:17 AM
 
Location: NJ/SC
4,286 posts, read 13,112,370 times
Reputation: 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
DING DING DING! It seems like you have a good grasp on some of Wal Mart's tactics. I don't mean to single out Wal Mart by any means as corporate greed certainly isn't limited to it, but it's just that Wal Mart is the company that we're talking about now, and the one that I myself have experience with.

And yes, the benefits are for full-time workers only and they make sure they minimize the cost of those benefits by keeping almost all of the staff at JUST below 40 hours per week. They are very strict with it too.

Rapture, I have a question that is perhaps naive. I was always under the impression that once a foreign national married an American citizen, they receive their Green Card some two or three years later. Is this no longer the case? Or is it specifically the fact that your mother's husband is from Turkey, that is causing the process to be delayed as there is now more scrutiny to those coming from the Middle East and Muslim nations?

After 9/11 doesn't matter if your married to a US citizen. They have spent thousand of dollars to lawyers and to the government for his paperwork to go through and still nothing. Turkey is an allis of the US so it has nothing to do with him being from there. I also have a friend from Canada thats married to my girlfreind who is a US citizen and having the same problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top