Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:58 AM

246 posts, read 329,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbeans4 View Post
I think now I'm just going to sit back and read everyone else's post in this thread. I love debating. It' s just not as much fun to debate with uninformed, opinionated, know-it-alls with too much time on their hands. =) Some of whom are just flat out making things up as they go depending on what the thread is about, and you know who you are.
Oh come on, you'll join in. Your desire to be enlightened will get the better of you.

Magpies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 11:00 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
This is why we will not buy a new home! The quality of new homes is crap! Good for all of you that refuse to hire illegals and are following the laws! Thank you!
With you on that, we will only buy an older home!!! we know what goes on.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:09 AM

313 posts, read 834,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies View Post
Unions can be a waste. They also can protect workers. Remember that next time you knock off for a weekend.

But you've confused two issues. Employees should have the right to associate any way they choose. Forcing workers into a union is as unfair as preventing them from joining.

Please do come to me for answers: usually right, never in doubt.

Magpies

How have I confused two issues?

Old 09-12-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:

How have I confused two issues?
Erm, we were talking about being *allowed* to join a union, and you complained that your husband was *forced* to join one. Two different things.

We're ships passing in the night, so let's right our course. We're agreed that workers should be allowed to associate any way they wish, yes?

Here's what happens at Wal Mart when workers choose to associate:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0210-13.htm

But hey, things are looking up in China:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Nov30.html

Mao! Mao! Mao more than ever!

Magpies

Old 09-12-2006, 12:53 PM

313 posts, read 834,035 times
Quote:
Erm, we were talking about being *allowed* to join a union, and you complained that your husband was *forced* to join one. Two different things.
Magpies
Ok, I was talking about unions. So sorry, I guess I should have seperated it from the other and put it up with my opinion of unions. Whatever. I don't think I will ever agree with you. I think I will just go back to ignoring you.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Whatever. I don't think I will ever agree with you. I think I will just go back to ignoring you.
They all say that, yet they keep coming back.

Magpies

Old 09-12-2006, 02:53 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,508 times
Quote:

We're ships passing in the night, so let's right our course. We're agreed that workers should be allowed to associate any way they wish, yes?

Here's what happens at Wal Mart when workers choose to associate:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0210-13.htm

But hey, things are looking up in China:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Nov30.html

Mao! Mao! Mao more than ever!

Magpies
Let's not forget that state of residence determines wether or not someone is required to join a union. The Old Dominion is a 'right to work' state, and uniion membership is not required. West Virginia, on the other hand, is a closed shop state, meaning that if you work under a union contract, they take your money and you are a member.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Let's not forget that state of residence determines wether or not someone is required to join a union. The Old Dominion is a 'right to work' state, and uniion membership is not required. West Virginia, on the other hand, is a closed shop state, meaning that if you work under a union contract, they take your money and you are a member.
Valid point. Mandating union membership is like mandating church attendance, only with an expectation you pony up for the collection plate.

Magpies

Old 09-13-2006, 02:13 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1 View Post
Sorry but I have 4 kids and we work our butts off and yes Walmart is the only place we can afford to buy food from anymore, not our fault!!

Don't worry about buying from Walmart continue to do so and you don't have to explain it to anyone. I like to buy my food there, I really don't buy much else there. Who was that that said Walmart food wasn't cheaper? they better check again. I've been down with a broken ankle for a few weeks now and I can't get out to shop and my husband keeps bringing the wrong stuff home, so I've been shopping Safeway online and having my groceries delivered for 7.95, let me tell you those products are expensive compared to Walmart and some of the stuff is suppose to be on sale. I can't wait to walk again and shop back at Walmart. I don't think the Chinese is are growing my produce or putting the milk in the containers. I should be good there.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:31 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Don't worry about buying from Walmart continue to do so and you don't have to explain it to anyone. I like to buy my food there, I really don't buy much else there. Who was that that said Walmart food wasn't cheaper? they better check again. I've been down with a broken ankle for a few weeks now and I can't get out to shop and my husband keeps bringing the wrong stuff home, so I've been shopping Safeway online and having my groceries delivered for 7.95, let me tell you those products are expensive compared to Walmart and some of the stuff is suppose to be on sale. I can't wait to walk again and shop back at Walmart. I don't think the Chinese is are growing my produce or putting the milk in the containers. I should be good there.
I have looked at them all, Albertsons, Safeway, Krogers, Bashas, food city and that place smelled bad, Walmart was cheaper than all, I will admit Food and hair products and makeup are all I buy there though. Sorry about your ankle, that must have hurt!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration