Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:44 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
I guess you want to overlook the fact that this crime would not have occured if these illegals were not here. Yes we have enough of our own criminals, we certainly do not need the criminals from other countries to add to it. They ALL need to be deported and fight to build thier own country to be a viable as ours. Many of those crossing our borders are criminals and people like you want to welcome them? I beg to differ that your position is Sane Thinking and Responsible Activism. Even Mexico is sane enough to push their criminals over our borders by giving them maps and instructions on how to cross. Keep drinking your Koolaide.

PS: Considering you say you are a Christian how do you reconcile supporting illegal immigrants that break our laws or are you affiliated with one of those churches that alter their beliefs to support their agendas?
It is getting too off topic to continue the illegal immigration issue or even the new topic of Christian values you wish to discuss, let us just say that I do not agree with criminal activity of any sort. I further do not believe that every persons actions will be in agreement with my sense of ethics. This crime and this thread have nothing to do with either issue.

We have a crime that was horrible in nature and committed by people living in New Jersey. It is not terribly relevant how or when they got there. It is pertinent that one or more of them has an extensive criminal record and our law enforcement agencies were prevented from acting on that information. It does not matter what ethnicity or citizenship he has.

This is an act that could occur anywhere, and anytime in the US and our police are unable to allocate resources to protect us from it. Our media is certainly not disclosing all the details to us, and I am not entirely sure that is a bad thing in this case. Sure it helps us build rage and a sense of injustice. But does it accomplish anything? Does it help you personally to know exactly what atrocious acts were committed? Aside from satisfying our own grotesque sense of curiosity, how much info is enough?

I agree that the media presents items that further it's own agenda. I think the stories should be more objectively presented regardless of whether they support our public position. I do not think that always means every detail, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 03:27 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
That is why I did not write a sarcastic response, but rather a satirical one. Please read the postscript for the disclaimer.

Although not explicitly stated, that was the intent of the message as supported by her response to my message where she states this would not have happened if the illegal immigrants were not here. Since the purpose of this post seems to be to educate people on the details of the crime, it seems reasonable to fight misinformation based on an outside agenda. I see in her banner "Location: In an illegal immigrant free part of the country." This also seems evidence of her mindset and thus the lack of objectivity in her argument. That is why I satirized her intent back into my retort.

This does seem very on topic to me. We are discussing a horrible act and it does not need to be sensationalized to meet the needs of an agitator. It is disgusting enough on it's own merit.
I love it when people try to split linguistic hairs in their defense because that's about all they've got - I had a friend actually admonish me in a debate we had a few months ago for 'not knowing the difference between culpability and guilt'. Guess what? I didn't even bother to point out his own folly, since I like the guy and didn't want him to appear a bigger fool than he had already portrayed himself to be.

Satire (from dictionary.com)

1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

And incidentally, if you don't think that the person's status as a non-citizen or that his culture had any role in this crime then that belief is just as dense as the 'Rush Limbaugh or Al Franken rhetoric'. Methinks that is very nimby-esque and I hope that none of the victims' family members or friends read CD and the posts that trivialize the facts of what is a gruesome and wholly avoidable set of murders and sexual assaults.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:20 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,276,662 times
johnrex62: We cannot prevent American killers from perpetrating violence against Americans, but these three children would be alive today if we had taken care of the illegal immigrant problem earlier. It is disingenuous on your part to deflect reality through "satire."

Old 08-23-2007, 09:00 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
johnrex62: We cannot prevent American killers from perpetrating violence against Americans, but these three children would be alive today if we had taken care of the illegal immigrant problem earlier. It is disingenuous on your part to deflect reality through "satire."
From what I can find online, only one of the six arrested was illegal. The other adult had a green card which means he immigrated legally and the other 4 were all minors and no information on their status was available although one of them was related to the green card holder.

So, again this does not seem to be strictly a problem with illegal immigrants as several appear to be legal. Who should we run out of the country because of immigrant status? Where do we stop? It does not seem to be practical to evict every immigrant from the country as that is the majority of our population.

This is still just a case of some very evil people committing a heinous crime. There is nothing trivial about it, but running off half-cocked and trying to blame every immigrant in the country for it, we should address the problems with law enforcement and how we treat criminals, not try to use this situation as a soapbox against immigration to a country founded on immigration.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:25 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
It's so sad. Those illegal alien criminals should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:13 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,276,662 times
Quote:
From what I can find online, only one of the six arrested was illegal. The other adult had a green card which means he immigrated legally and the other 4 were all minors and no information on their status was available although one of them was related to the green card holder.

So, again this does not seem to be strictly a problem with illegal immigrants as several appear to be legal. Who should we run out of the country because of immigrant status? Where do we stop? It does not seem to be practical to evict every immigrant from the country as that is the majority of our population.

This is still just a case of some very evil people committing a heinous crime. There is nothing trivial about it, but running off half-cocked and trying to blame every immigrant in the country for it, we should address the problems with law enforcement and how we treat criminals, not try to use this situation as a soapbox against immigration to a country founded on immigration.
I don't think anybody was blaming "every immigrant" for the problem. It doesn't matter whether the country was founded on immigration or not: that's beside the point. Also, the majority of the U.S. population is not made up of immigrants. Finally, to be against illegal immigration is not to be against immigration.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:46 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times
Quote:
I am certainly glad this type of crime has never, ever been perpetrated by a non-immigrant. Once we determine who the illegal immigrants are we can be assured of a safe and peaceful society.

I am glad, Citigirl, that you are proclaim the dangers of illegal immigration because you realize that only illegals could possibly perform such a horrible act as this. It is comforting to know that true Americans are so docile and domesticated now as to be incapable of such brutality. It is so reassuring that we only have to fear outrages like this one from the hands of non-Americans!

P.S. This satirical response has been brought to you by the committee for Sane Thinking and Responsible Activism. The opinions expressed in this message are for the consumption of rational and free thinking people only. Not for use while under the influence of radical cults, alcohol, or hallucinogenic drugs. Not to be combined with Rush Limbaugh or Al Franken rhetoric or your results may not be considered acceptable to mainstream society.

Well, all I have to say is thank God that we have reached this point in our country's history when we've eradicated all of our own homegrown criminals and now feel the need to import violence from other countries. I mean really folks, if these poor children hadn't been massacred by illegal alien gang members, they might have gone on to be productive members of society. We can't allow that to happen now can we?

Didn't anyone enlighten you folks to the fact that there is a sector of the Sane Thinking and Responsible Activism committee working diligently to ensure that we continue to import criminal activity into the U.S. at an alarming rate? They are known as the "Population Control" sector. If we were to actually enforce our borders and incarcerate or deport all of these poor little gang-bangers, rapists and murders back to their countries of origin, who would ensure the deaths of an average of 25 Americans per day at the hands of illegal aliens? They're just doing their part for population control. The Sane Thinking and Responsible Activism committee would then have to hire criminal Americans to commit the crimes that criminal illegal aliens are now committing and unfortunately, they are afraid that they may not find enough Americans with the cajones to decapitate teenagers on a regular basis.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:04 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,597 times
Default justice

Justice would be better serverd if the illegals were handed over to the familys of the victims to deal with.

They might and I say might be deported to only be able to turn right around and come back in and do the same thing. All while I have to listen to most pres. candidates tell me that illegal immigration is OK. I dont think people realize how many of these people are coming here. Just like in this story
Man Charged With Kidnapping, Trying To Sexually Assault Young Girls in Gaston County - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte
people will need to provide justice because our government just doesnt care anymore.

I am tired of watching this world get so smart in somewhat usless things like inovation but still kill each other like animals.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:11 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,083 times
Quote:
We have a crime that was horrible in nature and committed by people living in New Jersey. It is not terribly relevant how or when they got there.
It is pertinent that one or more of them has an extensive criminal record and our law enforcement agencies were prevented from acting on that information. It does not matter what ethnicity or citizenship he has.
Now this is the most amazing thing.......Why is it that it is NOT 'terribly relevant how or when they got there' but it IS relevant 'that one or more of them has an extensive criminal record and our law enforcement agencies were prevented from acting on that information'? Both are equally relevant to the crime and neither should have been tolerated.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:16 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Now this is the most amazing thing.......Why is it that it is NOT 'terribly relevant how or when they got there' but it IS relevant 'that one or more of them has an extensive criminal record and our law enforcement agencies were prevented from acting on that information'? Both are equally relevant to the crime and neither should have been tolerated.
I guess for some it is easy to take a flippant attitude when it someone else’s child that was brutally murdered.

If you talk to any officer, any and all information/evidence is relevant to a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration