Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:50 AM

126 posts, read 118,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
There's no requirement that someone follow immigration laws if he wishes to be called an immigrant?

Really?

Illegals aren't immigrants. Immigration implies permanency. Illegals can be deported at any time. Immigrant also implies law abiding would be citizen. Illegals are none of these things.

I call them illegals or illegal aliens just to annoy their idiotic supporters.
Read the definition again. Virtually all immigrants can be deported.

They clearly intend to stay permanently whether allowed to or not.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:03 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Everytime I see an article supportive of illegal aliens and illegal immigration as a whole they always use the word "undocumented." As soon as I see the word "undocumented" in a news article I know they are going to be supportive of illegal immigrants, so I stop reading.

Anyone else notice this?
yes, they are trying to make it sound legal, rather then illegal...which it is illegal, but everyone ignores it, and what they are getting away with is not fair to the society of our country, they are draining our systems.

I have no problem with someone in this country legally, as long as they are making an attempt to become an American citizen, and pay they're taxes....just like everyone else....I also have a problem with anyone who leaches off the Welfare Systems all they're lives...

Everyone at some time in they're lives needs help, but...to leach off the systems is wrong, no matter what color your skin is....white, black, yellow, blue, or whatever...and that is not racist...that says fair is fair. Of course when you treat one set of people one way, and another set of people another way, that is definately going to harbor not only resentment, but hostility and shows just how corrupt our country is....

Old 10-27-2011, 11:20 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
DHS refers them as unauthorized immigrants nowhere they call them illegal immigrants.
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/s...ll_pe_2010.pdf
Really? Note, also GAO and USCIS.

Quote:
October 18, 2011 (Philadelphia, Pa.) — Customs and Border Protection officers at Philadelphia International Airport arrested an illegal alien Saturday who was wanted in Philadelphia on charges that included sexual assault, corruption of minors and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse.
DHS | Enforcement News

Quote:
Illegal border crossings have been significantly reduced, as apprehensions of illegal aliens decreased from 723,825 in FY2008 to 556,041 in FY2009, a 23 percent reduction, in part as the result of increased security along the southwest border.
DHS: Statement by Deputy Press Secretary Matt Chandler on Pew Hispanic Center Report on Unauthorized Immigration Flows

Quote:
A more recent study estimated that there were about 10 million illegal aliens living in the United States as of March 2005. The study estimated that nearly 700,000 aliens entered the United States illegally or overstayed their authorized period of stay each year between 2000 and 2004. Some illegal aliens in the United States have been arrested and incarcerated in federal and state prisons and local jails, adding to already overcrowded prisons and jails.

In our population study of 55,322 illegal aliens, we found that they were arrested at least a total of 459,614 times, averaging about 8 arrests per illegal alien.
U.S. GAO - Information on Certain Illegal Aliens Arrested in the United States

Quote:
Certain illegal aliens who were eligible to apply for temporary resident status under the legalization provision of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
USCIS - Legalized Aliens

Quote:
Reimbursement of States for costs of incarcerating illegal aliens and certain Cuban nationals.
USCIS - I-Link Reference

Old 10-27-2011, 11:23 AM

387 posts, read 591,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
There's no requirement that someone follow immigration laws if he wishes to be called an immigrant?

Really?

Illegals aren't immigrants. Immigration implies permanency. Illegals can be deported at any time. Immigrant also implies law abiding would be citizen. Illegals are none of these things.

I call them illegals or illegal aliens just to annoy their idiotic supporters.
Legal or otherwise both are considered immigrants

Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkit711 View Post
Read the definition again. Virtually all immigrants can be deported.

They clearly intend to stay permanently whether allowed to or not.
All immigrants can't be deported merely for living in this country. Illegals can. Hence illegals aren't immigrants. It doesn't matter if they intend to stay. They can be asked to leave at any moment.

Quote:
Again no. A legal immigrant is an entirely different person from an illegal alien both legally and morally. If I move into your apartment without your permission that does not mean I am a resident of your home.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkit711 View Post
Immigrant has no such requirement

a person who migrates to another country, usually for permanent residence.

No requirement he do so legally.
Go to the DHS site on immigration statistics. The word "legal" appears quite a number of times.

Persons Obtaining Legal Permanent Resident Status: Fiscal Years 1820 to 2010

Persons Obtaining Legal Permanent Resident Status by Region and Selected Country of Last Residence: Fiscal Years 1820 to 2010

Persons Obtaining Legal Permanent Resident Status by Region and Country of Birth: Fiscal Years 2001 to 2010

Persons Obtaining Legal Permanent Resident Status by State or Territory of Residence: Fiscal Years 2001 to 2010

Old 10-27-2011, 12:53 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
We are categorizing the legality.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:38 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,139 times
Quote:
An both are called ALIENS to, even legal ones. Most of us who DONT want illegal aliens here call them just that. Most of us here who like legal immigrants call them that.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:40 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Everytime I see an article supportive of illegal aliens and illegal immigration as a whole they always use the word "undocumented." As soon as I see the word "undocumented" in a news article I know they are going to be supportive of illegal immigrants, so I stop reading.

Anyone else notice this?

I dont even like using the word illegal, I prefer the word criminal. after all criminals are the people that break the law, hence the name of criminal aliens is more appropiate.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:55 PM

126 posts, read 118,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I dont even like using the word illegal, I prefer the word criminal. after all criminals are the people that break the law, hence the name of criminal aliens is more appropiate.
There are criminal aliens. Both legal and illegal. Different subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration