Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:51 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,731,483 times

Advertisements

Immigration Debate in Australia

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia, as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.

A day after a group of mainstream Muslim leaders pledged loyalty to Australia and her Queen at a special meeting with Prime Minister John Howard, he and his Ministers made it clear that extremists would face a crackdown. Treasurer Peter Costello, seen as heir apparent to Howard, hinted that some radical clerics could be asked to leave the country if they did not accept that Australia was a secular state, and its laws were made by parliament. "If those are not your values, if you want a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia is not for you", he said on National Television.

"I'd be saying to clerics who are teaching that there are two laws governing people in Australia : one the Australian law and another Islamic law that is false. If you can't agree with parliamentary law, independent courts, democracy, and would prefer Sharia law and have the opportunity to go to another country, which practices it, perhaps, then, that's a better option", Costello said.

Asked whether he meant radical clerics would be forced to leave, he said those with dual citizenship could possibly be asked to move to the other country. Education Minister Brendan Nelson later told reporters that Muslims who did not want to accept local values should "clear off. Basically people who don't want to be Australians, and who don't want, to live by Australian values and understand them, well then, they can basically clear off", he said.

Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques. "IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT," Howard said. "Take it or leave it. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.

However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the 'politically correct' crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Australia. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of Australia being a multi-cultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. And as Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle.

This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society .. Learn the language!

Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.

We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us. If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like "A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. By all means, keep your culture, but do not force it on others.

This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our Flag, our pledge, our beliefs, or our way of life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.

If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted."

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/australia.asp

For the entire interview, click on the link. Too bad our own government doesn't have this much backbone. It's time that Americans stood up and said--NO MORE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 07:09 AM

1,247 posts, read 921,878 times
Good post.

I would like to point out that Howard has some misunderstandings regarding Shar'ia, though. Shar'ia only applies to Muslims. I could go deeper into this. Many non-Muslims do not understand shar'ia. It's better to be educated on the subject, before forming opinions.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:35 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,436,458 times
I wish that could happen here. The US has a distinct culture. I'm tired of hearing that we must value everyone else's culture to the detriment of our own.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:39 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,436,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Good post.

I would like to point out that Howard has some misunderstandings regarding Shar'ia, though. Shar'ia only applies to Muslims. I could go deeper into this. Many non-Muslims do not understand shar'ia. It's better to be educated on the subject, before forming opinions.
Is shar'ia just a set of morals and values or is it actually laws? What happens when shar'ia and state laws clash?

Old 04-10-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Is shar'ia just a set of morals and values or is it actually laws? What happens when shar'ia and state laws clash?
I'm sure it depends on the clash. If the clash would interfere with a Muslim's prayers, I would assume the Muslim would be required to leave that state. Muslims are actually not allowed to overthrow governments through violent means. In most cases, Shar'ia is more restrictive than the state laws, especially in Western democracies like the US and Australia. So clashes aren't really an issue.

Islam is more than just a religion. It differs from Christianity in that it is an entire way of life.

Much of what people think of Islam is actually not the religion, but culture.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:12 AM

652 posts, read 2,800,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Immigration Debate in Australia

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia, as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.
Good for them. I'm glad there are people somewhere in Western Civilization who want to save what's theirs.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:58 PM

452 posts, read 1,130,600 times
This is how every American should feel in regards to the Mexican Invasion. Every American politician should also feel the same way. American politicians are cowards and none of them no matter how strongly they feel will ever speak the words that Australia's leaders have spoken.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:01 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,085,364 times
So impressive to read this common sense and one mindedness of Australian government...it should be sent to our government as a reference of how a soverign government should think and act.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:43 AM

16,226 posts, read 27,327,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
I'm sure it depends on the clash. If the clash would interfere with a Muslim's prayers, I would assume the Muslim would be required to leave that state. Muslims are actually not allowed to overthrow governments through violent means. In most cases, Shar'ia is more restrictive than the state laws, especially in Western democracies like the US and Australia. So clashes aren't really an issue.

Islam is more than just a religion. It differs from Christianity in that it is an entire way of life.

Much of what people think of Islam is actually not the religion, but culture.
So by your statement, are we to understand that Muslims are allowed to overthrow governments through peaceful means, as opposed to violent means?

Old 04-19-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
So by your statement, are we to understand that Muslims are allowed to overthrow governments through peaceful means, as opposed to violent means?
I don't know, but I would think so. The only way that would be done peacefully is if they are a majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration