Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:45 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,650,609 times

Advertisements

What do you think it will take to at least slow down illegal immigation?I feel we need to build a 50 feet high wall,that is also at least 10 feet think.Do you think that would be a good way to slow it down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 09:05 PM

11 posts, read 8,132 times
We wouldn't need a wall/fence/whatever if we enforced our laws by fining the big business elites who hire illegal aliens.

Furthermore, if we didn't bend over and give them free hand outs/health care/children citizenship/ they wouldn't continue to flood in.

If we actually enforced laws, we would end the problem. However, we let in far too many UNSKILLED legal immigrants. I support a guest worker program with no path to citizenship to fulfill labor requirements.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:31 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
What do you think it will take to at least slow down illegal immigation?I feel we need to build a 50 feet high wall,that is also at least 10 feet think.Do you think that would be a good way to slow it down?
Heavy fines for those companies that hire illegals is #1!
John & Ken here of KFI-640 in los angeles recently poked holes in chertoff's claim that employers would be told and warned which employees SSNs did not "match" their names. apparently, it is illegal for the IRS (or social security?) to share that info with another public agency!! there are significant laws in place that keep common sense things from being implemented in this country. it needs to start with that and the misinterpretation of the 14th amendment that makes any person born on US soil an automatic citizen.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:34 PM

111 posts, read 263,320 times
Default As harsh as this sounds...

Guns.

Lots and lots of guns.

Well, it would stop them, no?

Okay, okay, at least leg shots or something. Look, if there's no pain, there's no lesson learned. This is a problem, and there's no time or tolerance for political correctness.

Thanks for reading, friend.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:38 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFromNY View Post
We wouldn't need a wall/fence/whatever if we enforced our laws by fining the big business elites who hire illegal aliens.

Furthermore, if we didn't bend over and give them free hand outs/health care/children citizenship/ they wouldn't continue to flood in.

If we actually enforced laws, we would end the problem. However, we let in far too many UNSKILLED legal immigrants. I support a guest worker program with no path to citizenship to fulfill labor requirements.
I still believe in my "15%" theory. With the new world of NAFTA hurrying things along, here's what it means: Lets just say, for the sake of argument, that the US economy makes it 85% more desirable to work here than in Mexico. This is a powerful incentive to migrate here.
But as NAFTA becomes a reality for the "working class", America and Mexico will tend to "equalize" out, like water allowed to run freely between two reservoirs. This is the purpose of NAFTA, an equalizing. At some point in the future, the economy of Mexico will be improved, and that of the US degraded, to the point they're only 15% different. At that time, it will become apparent to the immigrants that the hassle, discomfort, and effort of moving to a foreign land just won't be worth it anymore. Life here will not be attractive enough, compared to life there, to justify expending the effort.
At that point, illegal immigration's financial appeal to the poor will be lost, and it will taper off and cease.....We already see a slight decrease when the economy "tightens up"...this is only an extension of that reality....just my opinion...

Old 08-24-2007, 11:11 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,364,642 times
Well to get a 15% difference between the per capita GDP of the USA and Mexico is going to take quite a while.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:05 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFromNY View Post

Big fat DITTO to this!

Old 08-25-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Heavy fines for those companies that hire illegals is #1!
John & Ken here of KFI-640 in los angeles recently poked holes in chertoff's claim that employers would be told and warned which employees SSNs did not "match" their names. apparently, it is illegal for the IRS (or social security?) to share that info with another public agency!! there are significant laws in place that keep common sense things from being implemented in this country. it needs to start with that and the misinterpretation of the 14th amendment that makes any person born on US soil an automatic citizen.
I don't know if it would work everywhere, but we do all paychecks by direct deposit. Our bank notified us when the social security number did not match!

Old 08-25-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I still believe in my "15%" theory. With the new world of NAFTA hurrying things along, here's what it means: Lets just say, for the sake of argument, that the US economy makes it 85% more desirable to work here than in Mexico. This is a powerful incentive to migrate here.
But as NAFTA becomes a reality for the "working class", America and Mexico will tend to "equalize" out, like water allowed to run freely between two reservoirs. This is the purpose of NAFTA, an equalizing. At some point in the future, the economy of Mexico will be improved, and that of the US degraded, to the point they're only 15% different. At that time, it will become apparent to the immigrants that the hassle, discomfort, and effort of moving to a foreign land just won't be worth it anymore. Life here will not be attractive enough, compared to life there, to justify expending the effort.
At that point, illegal immigration's financial appeal to the poor will be lost, and it will taper off and cease.....We already see a slight decrease when the economy "tightens up"...this is only an extension of that reality....just my opinion...
I'm not willing to lower my economy and standard of living to raise theirs closer to ours.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:20 AM

156 posts, read 150,703 times
Youy want to slow and stop illegals from coming here? Then start treating them the way that Mexico treats illegals. PERIOD!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration