Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 06:46 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Why don't they just go to other EU countries?

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
[sarcasm]
Because Yurop is a third-world country.
[/sarcasm]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,152,830 times
For being here not very long, she sure speaks English pretty well. On the other hand there are other groups of immigrants, illegal or not who have been here 20 years and hardly know English at all.

I understand Europe is a fairly crowed place, but the fact that their populations are stagnant or shrinking is the only reason why I wouldn't want more to come here. Although, I'd rather have them than Indians, Koreans, Chinese or Filipinos anyday.

Actually we should allow immigration only from countries that have stable fertility rates of between 1.8 - 2.2 births per woman. The rest need to grow up and deal...

Old 11-13-2011, 03:03 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
Funny....I just got finished eating a gyro 30 minutes ago before reading this. And on top of that, I'm taking a Philosophy course. I'm neutral about them emigrating here- I doubt we will get a huge amount of them anyway and Greece is country of only 10 million . I will say there past contribution to Western society is one to admire.

My metro is said to have one of the largest(if not the largest) population with Greek Heritage in the nation of about 100,000 or so.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
For being here not very long, she sure speaks English pretty well. On the other hand there are other groups of immigrants, illegal or not who have been here 20 years and hardly know English at all.

I understand Europe is a fairly crowed place, but the fact that their populations are stagnant or shrinking is the only reason why I wouldn't want more to come here. Although, I'd rather have them than Indians, Koreans, Chinese or Filipinos anyday.

Actually we should allow immigration only from countries that have stable fertility rates of between 1.8 - 2.2 births per woman. The rest need to grow up and deal...
For me it's the immigrants' ability to provide for their children. If someone can afford 5 or 6 or more kids because they have the kind of income that allows them to afford food, health insurance, housing costs and so on, it's up to them how many kids they want to have and support.

Too many indigent and uneducated types however are coming here because the government programs make it all too possible to expect all the material things they could hope to have and have children they can never provide for themselves. For me it comes down to "if ya can't feed 'em don't breed 'em", and the excuse that they can't afford their many children in their own country so must come here is not a valid excuse.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:22 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post

Statisically those immigrant birth rates are lower than the countries they come from.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:48 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Does anyone else notice that the normal pro illegals are completely silent on this one? No cries of racism, xenophobia, bigotry, lack of compassion, etc.? The Greeks are just hard working people looking for a better life? They're only going to take the jobs Americans don't want? Guess this proves that without the race card, the pro illegals have NOTHING.
No, they still have a great point.

Show me one Mexican city of over 25,000 people that operates within first world standards for crime and corruption. Show me one in Africa. I can show you plenty in Greece.

Inviting people here who haven't proven themselves able to run first world style communities is the point.

Also, taking a three page sample to make your sweeping conclusion is bereft of logic and shows that you don't know how to make a cogent argument backed up with unimpeachable fact. You're desperate to make arguments on your emotional, yet baseless, entitled beliefs. People with weak arguments need to be ignored, as all they do is crate noise and waste time. Make sure that you have an unimpeachable argument before you speak. Emotion gets you no-where in a civilized society, and leads to inefficiency, crime, and unjustified entitlement. Discipline of mind and emotion is what leads to the success of civilized societies.

Our forefathers built this country for their children. My grandfather fought, and my father fought and died, so that his children could have a better life here. The ancestors of these immigrants did no such thing yet are ruining the quality of life, through crime and welfare, for the children of my forefathers.

There aren't any Greek gangs that I'm aware of.

I'll wait for the sorry excuses for why Mexican and other third world immigrant gangs exist in the USA.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:37 PM

22 posts, read 14,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
I'll wait for the sorry excuses for why Mexican and other third world immigrant gangs exist in the USA.
No excuses here. My parents came here illegally from Mexico, yet guess what? No gang members in my family. I do not excuse my parents for not coming here the right way (they would not have been able too anyway), but hey, they did and at least I can say they did not steal or commit crimes while here. There's plenty of illegals of ALL nationalities who come here to work, not to abuse of our system or raise gang members. Obviously you're going to have bad apples in any group, and more so in a group as large as the Mexican one.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:40 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
No, they still have a great point.

Show me one Mexican city of over 25,000 people that operates within first world standards for crime and corruption. Show me one in Africa. I can show you plenty in Greece.

Inviting people here who haven't proven themselves able to run first world style communities is the point.

Also, taking a three page sample to make your sweeping conclusion is bereft of logic and shows that you don't know how to make a cogent argument backed up with unimpeachable fact. You're desperate to make arguments on your emotional, yet baseless, entitled beliefs. People with weak arguments need to be ignored, as all they do is crate noise and waste time. Make sure that you have an unimpeachable argument before you speak. Emotion gets you no-where in a civilized society, and leads to inefficiency, crime, and unjustified entitlement. Discipline of mind and emotion is what leads to the success of civilized societies.

Our forefathers built this country for their children. My grandfather fought, and my father fought and died, so that his children could have a better life here. The ancestors of these immigrants did no such thing yet are ruining the quality of life, through crime and welfare, for the children of my forefathers.

There aren't any Greek gangs that I'm aware of.

Perhaps you should re-read my post. My point was strictly that this thread proved we are against illegal immigration regardless of race or origin, and that the normal people who defend hispanic illegals have nothing to say on this thread. I am extremely ANTI illegal immigration, I think you are confused.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:46 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,774 times
A second massive influx of Italians, like the one in the late 1800s-early 1900s, will be next....and that's fine with me, I'll be reunited with my distant cousins!!!! Don't pro-illegal people call that "family reunification"?...

Old 11-15-2011, 06:10 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed View Post
No excuses here. My parents came here illegally from Mexico, yet guess what? No gang members in my family. I do not excuse my parents for not coming here the right way (they would not have been able too anyway), but hey, they did and at least I can say they did not steal or commit crimes while here. There's plenty of illegals of ALL nationalities who come here to work, not to abuse of our system or raise gang members. Obviously you're going to have bad apples in any group, and more so in a group as large as the Mexican one.
Well that explains it, you are the child of illegal aliens. Your parents had to work while here, how did they do that without authorization? (look at that both - stealing and a crime just that quick) You seem to simply making excuses for your parents and those like them to justify your existence. It shows in the other topic you started by only pointing out the "most serious crimes" percentage vs the overall crime numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration