U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 05:29 AM

32 posts, read 81,239 times

Advertisements

Why do illegal immigrants from Mexico sneak across the border into the US? Why don't they just walk right in through Customs and just overstay? Seems a lot simpler to me.

I assume if US citizens can enter Mexico freely to visit without a visa, so can Mexicans, right?

Otherwise, why don't illegal Mexicans just get a tourist visa then and overstay the visa? Why do they have to sneak in through the border and cross a desert?

Also, why don't they just use their Mexican driver licenses with an International driver license to drive legally in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 05:52 AM

1,344 posts, read 2,577,050 times
Because then there is no record that they are here at all.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:36 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,365,248 times
Good question!!

The INS has already thought of these ideas. I'm not sure what the criteria is for Mexican visitors, but it's very hard for a Mexican to come here as a "tourist". Some come here on work visas, but that's temporary and the employer is responsible for them while they are here.

I know that in Guatemala, to come to the US even for a visit, you have to show lots of documentation - including a substantial bank balance (that's going to stay in Guatemala - can't take it here to the US with you) and a job in Guatemala, and a "reason" to come back.

We take it for granted that we can usually travel from here to any country (well, except Cuba), but for citizens of Central America it is much, much different.

(This is another good reason I love my home country of the US. I go where I want, stay where I want, and if the government asked to see my bank balance before I went on a trip, I'd cry, "Invasion of privacy!!!!"

I have friends in Guatemala, and so do my other friends. Unfortunately, we cannot sponsor them to come visit us as tourists, even for two weeks. They don't have any money in the bank and there is a high chance in the government's eyes they would come here and stay.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:13 AM

387 posts, read 510,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth_criminal View Post
Why do illegal immigrants from Mexico sneak across the border into the US? Why don't they just walk right in through Customs and just overstay? Seems a lot simpler to me.

I assume if US citizens can enter Mexico freely to visit without a visa, so can Mexicans, right?

Otherwise, why don't illegal Mexicans just get a tourist visa then and overstay the visa? Why do they have to sneak in through the border and cross a desert?

Also, why don't they just use their Mexican driver licenses with an International driver license to drive legally in the US?
For getting a tourist visa you have to show substantial finances and prove to Consular Officer that you have substantial ties to his country like a job or business
Mexican are treated differently by ICE/Border patrol when it comes to processing at POE than people from other countries

Old 11-13-2011, 09:16 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Actually that's pretty much what many do. All they need is a $140 border crossing card that lasts for 10 years and allows them to walk through customs and whenever they decide, they simply do not return home. These are supposed to allow them to come visit someone, or shop over here but of course they are heavily abused.

The majority didn't come over hiking through a desert or swimming a river, they are what's called "visa overstayers", because the visas are practically given away and they believe using that to get over makes them better than those who came over without them.

Also the border crossing cards are very easily purchased or rented in any border town, they have them laid out and help the illegal find one with a picture that he resembles, and will make suggestions on shaving or growing a mustache, combing the hair differently. They cost more but work well for those who cannot get a legitimate border crossing card.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
For getting a tourist visa you have to show substantial finances and prove to Consular Officer that you have substantial ties to his country like a job or business
Mexican are treated differently by ICE/Border patrol when it comes to processing at POE than people from other countries
Wrong.

Come check out the border towns some time, take a look at the pedestrian lanes especially. These are shoppers that are not well-to-do by any stretch of the imagination.

And yes Mexicans are not expected to abide by the terms of their visas which is why so many millions are over here working, giving birth in order to acess food stamps and other welfare handouts, other people are following the laws.

We don't have 30 million Canadians or Europeans living here illegally.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually that's pretty much what many do. All they need is a $140 border crossing card that lasts for 10 years and allows them to walk through customs and whenever they decide, they simply do not return home. These are supposed to allow them to come visit someone, or shop over here but of course they are heavily abused.

The majority didn't come over hiking through a desert or swimming a river, they are what's called "visa overstayers", because the visas are practically given away and they believe using that to get over makes them better than those who came over without them.

Also the border crossing cards are very easily purchased or rented in any border town, they have them laid out and help the illegal find one with a picture that he resembles, and will make suggestions on shaving or growing a mustache, combing the hair differently. They cost more but work well for those who cannot get a legitimate border crossing card.
This is interesting, and something I didn't know. Just curious - why, though then would they pay a coyote $2,000 or $3,000 to cross dangerously? Is it just a matter of getting the visa for $140 and then overstaying? Most of the people I know from Mexico (I worked in a clinic for farmworkers) either had to have a work visa (they monitored those folks like hawks and kept them on a tight monitored schedule) or paid a coyote a lot of cash. Some arrived in bare feet, all torn up, from walking on back roads.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
This is interesting, and something I didn't know. Just curious - why, though then would they pay a coyote $2,000 or $3,000 to cross dangerously? Is it just a matter of getting the visa for $140 and then overstaying? Most of the people I know from Mexico (I worked in a clinic for farmworkers) either had to have a work visa (they monitored those folks like hawks and kept them on a tight monitored schedule) or paid a coyote a lot of cash. Some arrived in bare feet, all torn up, from walking on back roads.
If they have a criminal record or previous deportations for committing some crime here they can't as easily buy a shopping visa or border crossing card. And if they are working as drug mules, it's more risky to come through the border, but what kind of person in a low wage country can so easily come up with $3000 cash to pay a smuggler? Supposedly these are people whose skills are so low they can't even find a maquila job that pays decent wages as far as Mexican wages go and the unemployment rate in Mexico is much lower than that of the USA. Even middle class Americans often don't have $3000 cash laying around.

The cartels control ALL the non-legal entry points -- including those trafficking rings that bring them over on the back roads. The cartels will get anyone with a criminal record back over here when those individuals are banned from legal reentry.

But yes, many of those living here, coming to give birth here have the visitor visa and are called "visa overstayers".

Yes many farmworkers aren't actully here illegally - because there are no caps and few requirements for the H2A visa. That allows the farmers to bring in as many guest workers as they like, you can't always look at field workers and assume they are here illegally, often they are not.

Also it takes some planning ahead to get the $140 border crossing card. They're most readily given to the people who live near the border, not from some place far into the interior of Mexico. And they are given only to Mexicans, not Central Americans who would have to purchase a fake birth certificate and other Mexican ID and later apply for the shopping visa. And an illegal can't just come up with no job and get one, they have to have some kind of employment in Mexico which makes it seem like they might go back. Someone from the interior could easily come to Juarez, get a maquila job and then get the border crossing card but if they're in a hurry to get here that doesn't work.

There are now an estimated 250,000 people from Juarez alone who have relocated to the USA - and very very easily as all they have to do is use their shopping visa and come on over.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the information - very interesting!

I was told that the $3K was not easy to come up with for them, and the debt is heavy. They have to work several months here just to make a dent in paying it off. However, looking back on it now, that doesn't make sense - doesn't sound like coyotes would just "loan" someone money, bring them in and turn them loose.

Thanks for your insight!

Old 11-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Thanks for the information - very interesting!

I was told that the $3K was not easy to come up with for them, and the debt is heavy. They have to work several months here just to make a dent in paying it off. However, looking back on it now, that doesn't make sense - doesn't sound like coyotes would just "loan" someone money, bring them in and turn them loose.

Thanks for your insight!
Yes, someone with no job and no education in Mexico simply doesn't have $3000 laying around so often they are bringing in drugs for their trafficker, they work off their debt by being drug mules.

But also there is another way these poor indigent people come up with the money, like in one case I know. The mother is a widowed mother of 12, first one son came illegally to work but he basically was working as an indentured servant, his traffickers were keeping most of the money until the money was paid off, he was not free to leave or find other employment. After a few years he had it paid up but this is why kidnapping for ransom has become so prevalent with illegals. They become involved with the very worst kinds of people who use them to make money - one way or another -- and can be held for ransom very easily and cannot leave because the traffickers have them enslaved.

There is one other way - like in this same family when the second son who now has a family wanted to come, the traffickers have made them put up the family home for the money. If they don't pay off the "loan" on the home, their mother and the rest of those kids back home will become homeless. It's nothing more than a very low class home built of whatever they could use but since work is down for that son, there is now a real threat that the house will be lost and they don't know where to go. You can't get out of these deals, these houses aren't houses a bank will loan money and they don't have second mortgages for them, and when the traffickers want the family out of the house which they likely will to teach them a lesson about not paying the loan. Instead of helping, this is now seriously harming the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or