Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:58 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times

Advertisements

I just called the offices of a U.S. Congresswoman from New York State who openly supported this proposal on her website and the nice, polite woman who answered the phone told me that the Congresswoman seems to support it from a moral-standpoint.

Alright, my problem with these "moral" decisions by these politicians is what are you doing to the legal residents when you try to do good to the illegal immigrants? You're hurting the legal folks and that's not very moral. It's almost as if the people who support illegal immigrants don't care about the collateral damage of what they are doing.

The nice lady (and I mean she was very nice) also told me that this wasn't supporting illegal immigration and I asked her, "How does giving state-funding to illegal immigrants to go to college NOT support illegal immigrants?" She had no answer. I suspect that the lack of explanation is the same for the lawmakers because I really don't think they know much about illegal immigration. I say that because it was funny how the nice lady who answered the phone tried to explain to me that these kids were born here. I told her nicely, that, "No, the people that will receive these funds are illegal immigrants."

It's just weird how there are so many misconceptions about these bills, laws, etc. People don't always know what will happen if they are approved. The same is true for the U.S. Congress. We know they don't read ALL of the bills before voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Just posted the link on my Facebook page. I know way too many people whose children and grandchildren can be negatively impacted by this. Phone call to Albany next.
Awesome, thanks for calling. I'm still trying to get in touch with John King, Jr. Check out his website, he is all about helping illegal immigrant children. It's funny because the people who are making these bills don't have to worry about how they are going to send their children to college, they make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and don't even qualify for TAP. Yet, they are the ones who get to decide to take money from legal residents and Citizen students who need the money.

Shouldn't there be a vote on this bill BY THE PEOPLE?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:10 PM

Here's another report on the proposal with some additional quotes from the parties involved:

New York State Education Officials Vote to Open Up Educational Opportunities for Students Regardless of Status | New York Immigration Coalition

Once again, the talk of the country and New York State being built by immigrants is used as an excuse.

Quote:
"The Education Equity for DREAMers Act opens up a pathway out of the shadows. New York was built in no small part by the energy and vitality of immigrants. Giving these students a chance to go to college will not only help them, it will help our economy grow."
Exactly how does giving state funds meant for legal students help the economy grow? These people can say ANYTHING and it will get an applause by the pro-illegal immigrant crowds.

Quote:
“In a time when the federal government has failed to act and states are implementing divergent policies affecting immigrants, New York must lead and take a stand. California has established that undocumented youth deserve equal opportunity by passing the California Dream Act while states like Georgia and Alabama are undermining the right to education by barring undocumented children from school. "
Check out this lie. When did Alabama or Georgia bar children from school? LOL

Old 11-17-2011, 01:20 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Yes, Chicagonut. I agree. My only explanation is that these guys are so caught up in doing what they think is right that they realize what they are doing is wrong to the rest of us (legal residents and Citizens). I don't think SOME of them realize that they are making mistakes and how significant what they are trying to propose is. The way I see it is this: What you GIVE an illegal immigrant, you TAKE AWAY from a Citizen or a legal immigrant and residents.

I've been calling trying to get in touch with the Board of Regents and was able to talk to the organization that disperses the TAP.

Call that number and tell them that you want to know why this proposal is OK.

NYSED::Office of Governmental Relations
Thanks for all you do. You are a loyal and patriotic American. I am not a resident of New York but I will make the call.

There is more than one type of American who is blinded by an agenda in this. Some as you said, think they are doing the moral thing and are blinded by misplaced compassion (bleeding heart liberals) while they are totally oblivious to their total lack of compassion for their fellow Americans. The other usual suspects are those blinded by ethnocentricism and some by greed.

As for these students getting jobs and helping our economy how can they do that after graduation when they can't work here? Not only that but for every job they would take that is one less job for an American. A workingAmerican would also be paying into our economy and contributing to our tax base. We have no shortage of Americans to do that.

Last edited by chicagonut; 11-17-2011 at 01:29 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 01:24 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Here's another report on the proposal with some additional quotes from the parties involved:

New York State Education Officials Vote to Open Up Educational Opportunities for Students Regardless of Status | New York Immigration Coalition

Once again, the talk of the country and New York State being built by immigrants is used as an excuse.

Exactly how does giving state funds meant for legal students help the economy grow? These people can say ANYTHING and it will get an applause by the pro-illegal immigrant crowds.

Check out this lie. When did Alabama or Georgia bar children from school? LOL
No illegal alien kids are being barred from a K-12 education anywhere in this country and that is all they are entitled to. Yes, they continue to spew their lies.

Our country was built by both "legal" immigrants and citizens. Don't you just love the way they blur the lines between legal immigrant and illegal aliens? It is just another one of their dishonest tactics.

Last edited by chicagonut; 11-17-2011 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-17-2011, 01:33 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
I've posted the link on the NYS board.

I did not see anything about this in the LI newspaper, Newsday. If it was in it, it was a small blurb, buried in the paper.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:48 PM

http://www.regents.nysed.gov/meeting...1/1111bra5.pdf

Old 11-17-2011, 01:58 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No illegal alien kids are being barred from a K-12 education anywhere in this country and that is all they are entitled to. Yes, they continue to spew their lies.

Our country was built by both "legal" immigrants and citizens. Don't you just love the way they blur the lines between legal immigrant and illegal aliens? It is just another one of their dishonest tactics.
They blur the lines to make illegals look better. Obama's great at that, especially when he made fun of border security and spoke of how much immigrants contribute by creating companies like Yahoo and Google. He didn't bother to specify that they were legal.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:00 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post

I don't think illegal alien kids should be entitled to our education. That is something that should be changed.

I agree the love to to use dishonest tactics when fighting with the citizens of this country.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:02 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
I don't understand. Isn't it the money from working, taxpayers that supports this state financial aid grant?

Let me get this straight because I can't believe. First, not only are tens of thousand of illegal immigrant youth in New York able to attend college, but now they are trying to allow them to cut-into the grants and financial aid that should be for those who are legally here?

How could ANYONE support this? The article talks about how it is a "great investment." Investment for what? It makes no sense to replace your legal, able and educated workers with those from another country that are actually here illegally. Why not help your own citizens first?

Secondly, you mean these lawmakers are OK with taking money away from the legal students and giving it to illegal immigrants.

What happens when a student goes into their financial aid office to apply for this TAP (Tuition Assistance Program) and the school tells them that there are no more funds available? Let's say that student was BORN in the United States. If I am that student, I'm pretty damn PISSED and HURT that I had to share those funds with some illegal immigrants. HOW is this OK? This isn't a game, this isn't a joke. People want to go to college, have better education and bring in better income. As the old saying goes: You don't play with someone's money.

Where are the OWS people who can protest this law in New York? Does this not cut into the 99%ers income? Sharing financial aid with illegal immigrants? Can't rise up if you are threatened.

I hope and pray that this does not pass and I can't understand how something like this is not made bigger news of. Essentially handing over things that are for legal people to illegal immigrants. HOW is this OK?

I love the "unapologetic" shirts that they are wearing ... not. What a slap in our faces.

How can the federal government SUE states such as Alabama and Arizona for trying to fight illegal immigration, but you know the federal government will do NOTHING to protect taxpayers money in this situation. Do you think they will sue New York? Hell no. People work hard and their money is going towards the secondary education of some illegal immigrants? I'd be fuming and this would spring me into some serious action. Imagine being a New Yorker and knowing that some ungrateful little brats such as the ones in the article are sitting in a New York college someone getting education off the backs of some taxpayers AND ... they are "unapologetic about it." How can Washington and state politicians not see the flaws here?

I don't even think California has stooped this law. They haven't offered up state funds yet.

This is John King, the Education Commissioner, the person behind it mostly: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/ny...missioner.html
I couldn't have said it better.

I totally agree with your post and feel your anger here. I also am outraged at this!!

I will contact those offices too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration