Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:52 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,637,534 times

Advertisements

I know many of you oppose it, so I just want to try to convince some in changing their minds.

What is wrong it giving a pathway for adults and teenagers who were brought over by their parents? They had no choice. They did not choose to come to this country in the first place. Why punish someone for something their parents did? Many of them don't even know the language of their birth place. All they know is the American way of life.

Here are points to take note

1. They are not a threat to our national security.

2. They are not people who just want to break are laws.

3. They can help our country being that they have dreams of becoming meaningful people in our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 09:08 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,428,212 times
The anti's agenda is to keep these kids at the bottom rung of society and make examples out of them. It's a gamble on American lives as well, basically they are betting these kids being so hopeless turn to crime, and cause enough havoc to get the laws enforced...

Political agenda > Kids Futures

Last edited by Mach50; 11-23-2011 at 09:19 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 09:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,437,323 times
They can be like legal foreign students, obtain foreign student visas -- extremely easy to get, and for once in their lives do something the honest and legal way. Why should those foreign students who come here legally to study be penalized and pay more than the lawbreaking ones?

Or they can return home and attend a university there. They are not entitled to anything just because they and their parents chose to break the laws of this country.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They can be like legal foreign students, obtain foreign student visas -- extremely easy to get, and for once in their lives do something the honest and legal way. Why should those foreign students who come here legally to study be penalized and pay more than the lawbreaking ones?

Or they can return home and attend a university there. They are not entitled to anything just because they and their parents chose to break the laws of this country.
Student visas have a limit on how many hours they can work and must maintain a credit limit as well.

So you are proposing:
1) They leave the country
2) Apply for a foreign student visa with a history of being illegal
3) If accepted (since it is "extremely easy") then pay international tuition while not being able to work but 20 hours a week.

Or they can:
1) Return to a country they haven't lived in since 2
2) Attend a university in the language and culture they did not grow up with.
3) Leave their family behind in the US.

Basically you provided an implausible solution...you'd rather gamble with kids then provide a real solution.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:40 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,633,609 times
Why should we legalize them? When we have millions of other law abiding legal immigrants who properly came here & paid thousands of dollars & waiting in line for years?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Student visas have a limit on how many hours they can work and must maintain a credit limit as well.

So you are proposing:
1) They leave the country
2) Apply for a foreign student visa with a history of being illegal
3) If accepted (since it is "extremely easy") then pay international tuition while not being able to work but 20 hours a week.

Or they can:
1) Return to a country they haven't lived in since 2

Basically you provided an implausible solution...you'd rather gamble with kids then provide a real solution.
Exactly. Why not?

Many American kids are unable to afford college especially if they are paying out-of-state tuition. Americans first.

And no, it's not us that wants an unlimted lower class of illegals continually pouring over the border. That's your side's argument that we need dirt cheap labor and unlimited supplies of it.

I believe that they should be returned home. Contrary to the lies said about Mexico, it actually has universities and some very fine ones.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Very phony arguments. For one almost all children of illegals learn their parents' language, usually as their first language, it's English they have trouble with.

Second it's a great age to experience other countries, even your own. I myself went to Mexico to study and didn't know the language but I quickly learned it and it was a great experience. These kids have all the advantages over American kids that study outside the USA, they already are fluent in the language, and they grew up in the culture.

Even American students in Mexico don't find it difficult to adapt to the culture or what are you claiming is so difficult with Mexican culture? It's fun actually to learn something of it.

And yes poor little babies of 18 and older age, they can leave their families now. Lots of kids go off to college, what's wrong with these ones? My parents didn't go with me to Mexico when I went to study there.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:08 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,587,189 times
How do people that speak only Spanish communicate with their children that speak only English? Someone is lying. Either that or they have developed a way to use brain waves.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:45 AM

4,865 posts, read 5,655,497 times
Sorry, this mind right here isn't changing! I wouldn't change it even if you paid me 10 million dollars.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Exactly. Why not?

Many American kids are unable to afford college especially if they are paying out-of-state tuition. Americans first.

And no, it's not us that wants an unlimted lower class of illegals continually pouring over the border. That's your side's argument that we need dirt cheap labor and unlimited supplies of it.

I believe that they should be returned home. Contrary to the lies said about Mexico, it actually has universities and some very fine ones.
It was negligence on the US part by not enforcing the laws that allowed these kids/parents to stay so long.

I believe you cut your loses and give these kids some hope in the country where they were raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration