Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 11:20 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
So just give up? Just let 16-year-olds shoot up heroin or PCP? Are you really advocating the legalization of all drugs? Marijuana I see (and even agree with), but crack, meth, heroin, pcp, acid, ecstasy...the list goes on.....just stop trying to prevent people from using them since its just human nature??!!

We may never win the war on drugs, but we can minimize drugs' damage on society by keeping up the fight against them.

Why should you jump to the worst possible outcome?

We legalized alcohol, and while yes, a few 16 year olds do sneak a swig of scotch from daddys liquor cabinet, very few of them actually do that. And drug use is in a very small part of the population when you talk about the harder stuff like that. Even if legal, use doesn't go up.

Look at portugal, they legalized marijuana, and use went down.

If drugs are legal, it doesn't mean that everyone will suddenly start using drugs. Ugh.

Its cheaper to legalize but regulate use and where it can be bought. We do this quite well with alcohol now.

Remember, Drug dealers don't card, most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 11:27 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why should you jump to the worst possible outcome?

We legalized alcohol, and while yes, a few 16 year olds do sneak a swig of scotch from daddys liquor cabinet, very few of them actually do that. And drug use is in a very small part of the population when you talk about the harder stuff like that. Even if legal, use doesn't go up.

Look at portugal, they legalized marijuana, and use went down.

If drugs are legal, it doesn't mean that everyone will suddenly start using drugs. Ugh.

Its cheaper to legalize but regulate use and where it can be bought. We do this quite well with alcohol now.

Remember, Drug dealers don't card, most of the time.
Marijuana, yes. But not hard drugs. I've personally known too many people hurt by hard drugs. They are not like marijuana. No, everyone won't suddenly start using drugs. But the ones that are using them will have no incentive to quit.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
Marijuana, yes. But not hard drugs. I've personally known too many people hurt by hard drugs. They are not like marijuana. No, everyone won't suddenly start using drugs. But the ones that are using them will have no incentive to quit.

Magic mushrooms aren't addictive. I wouldn't want to do them everyday though. LSD is harmless if made correctly.

The point is, its no ones jobs to try. We can restrict, but honestly, in a free country people are going to do what they are going to do.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:34 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
The Obama administration and many local officials have said the U.S.-Mexican border is safer than ever

Obviously the borders they're referring to are their own limits of comprehension or concern.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Yeah, I'm sure the reporting of thousands of murders that occur in Mexico at the hands of cartels is over blown also. With the cartels going through your property, why would you be afraid?

Maybe instead of starting another war in Libya and policing the world our troops should be on the border protecting our country. The cartels present a much greater threat to our citizens then terrorists. If the cartels try their crap with our troops on the border, they can be handled with extreme predjudice.
You're scared. Scared people are hard to debate. But....

Please tell me, how many ranchers were killed last year by the Cartels?

Old 11-26-2011, 08:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're scared. Scared people are hard to debate. But....

Please tell me, how many ranchers were killed last year by the Cartels?
How many do you want to be killed?

Rob Krentz was killed. Larry Link of Stein's ghost town was probably killed by illegals.

All you have to do is look at the high homicide rates just across that border and realize that nothing magically transforms these killers when they cross into the USA. They will kill anyone who gets in their way, they will kill anyone they think might get in their way. Many have killed numerous times, they've killed their own fellow citizens, they'll gladly kill Americans.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
It's not just ranchers in danger. Look at the recent cartel shootout near Houston.

Zetas Drug Cartel Allegedly Conducts 'Mexico-Style Attack' near Houston | Fox News Latino

While the men - Eric De Luna, 23; Fernando Tavera, 19; Ricardo Ramírez, 35 and Rolando Resendiz, 34 – have all allegedly admitted to an affiliation with the violent Mexico-based Zetas cartel, U.S. authorities are still puzzled as to why the group would authorize such a brazen attack on U.S. soil for 300 pounds of marijuana.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
US ranchers: We live in fear along Mexican border - Nightly News - msnbc.com

"The Obama administration and many local officials have said the U.S.-Mexican border is safer than ever and that reports of violence on the American side are wildly exaggerated. But the farmer scoffed at that argument. "I walk this soil every day and have since I was old enough to come out on my own," he said. "In this part of Texas, it is worse than it's ever been."

I side with the Farmers. They deal with the issue every single day.

Do Politicians really expect us to believe the border is secure? Really?

I cannot imagine living in fear on a daily basis. You can even feel safe in your own home...and the government chooses to joke about it instead. I bet these farmers and many other folks who live close the border didn't find the "moat with Alligators" joke funny at all.
Farmers and ranchers down there have been told to ride armed when they go out on THEIR land.

This from April 2010:

Sheriff To Texas Border Town: 'Arm Yourselves' : NPR
A couple hundred people crowded into the grade-school gym to hear a chilling message from Hudspeth County Sheriff Arvin West.

"You farmers, I'm telling you right now, arm yourselves," he said. "As they say the old story is, it's better to be tried by 12 than carried by six. Damn it, I don't want to see six people carrying you."

Old 11-26-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Farmers and ranchers down there have been told to ride armed when they go out on THEIR land.

This from April 2010:

Sheriff To Texas Border Town: 'Arm Yourselves' : NPR
A couple hundred people crowded into the grade-school gym to hear a chilling message from Hudspeth County Sheriff Arvin West.

"You farmers, I'm telling you right now, arm yourselves," he said. "As they say the old story is, it's better to be tried by 12 than carried by six. Damn it, I don't want to see six people carrying you."
What farmers and ranchers in south and west Texas go way out on their land unarmed? When did they ever do that?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's not just ranchers in danger. Look at the recent cartel shootout near Houston.

Zetas Drug Cartel Allegedly Conducts 'Mexico-Style Attack' near Houston | Fox News Latino

While the men - Eric De Luna, 23; Fernando Tavera, 19; Ricardo Ramírez, 35 and Rolando Resendiz, 34 – have all allegedly admitted to an affiliation with the violent Mexico-based Zetas cartel, U.S. authorities are still puzzled as to why the group would authorize such a brazen attack on U.S. soil for 300 pounds of marijuana.
If U.S. authorities are puzzled as to why brazen violence would erupt over 300 LBS of weed, those authorities should be fired. That's anywhere from 350-500k on the streets...depending on the quality. Folks die over that type of money all the time in the drug game. Lotta guys have been killed for far less money.

Legalize the stuff and all of this nonsense comes to an end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration