Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:01 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,370 times

Advertisements

I don't know when exactly the illegal immigration debate became the big topic it is, I think it was a single senator who brought it up as a problem.

But I haven't seen this much conflict with race/legal status before in my lifetime (I am 35).

I understand the desire or outright need for a worker to come into the US illegally for the benefit of his or family, but I also don't want to encounter the portion of illegals who are criminals because of desperation or just disrespect for the law. What I don't understand is why our government, which is mostly a big business mouthpiece, claims to want to end illegal immigration, while at the same time admitting they need it. That's like saying "Get lost........hold on, can you do this job for me, then get lost? I might need you again later, so be ready"

An unfortunate fallout of illegal immigration is the treatment endured by the legal Spanish speaking population. I feel bad that any law-abiding person gets clustered with law-breakers and must deal with scorn as if they did something wrong.

I want to hear some opinions: Do you think a civil war type conflict is a possibility, with all the hatred and opposing agendas at play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 05:07 PM

110 posts, read 355,827 times
civil war isnt within reality.
civil war would weaken us and expose us to exploits from our many friends around the world, who have plotted for this moment.

the civil wars of europe, WWI and WW2 guaranteed the demise of europe.

if everyone in the world wants an american lifestyle and be part of our society, then dont come to US, we will come to you.

i think thats the theory behind EU and NAU, reforming corrupt governments and applying successful policies to establish greater prosperity.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:29 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Not to answer you in plain language, for that's not what I do, but I'll say that future predictions ARE a fascination. Civil war, in the classic sense? Very very doubtful--but this isn't to say things couldn't get a lot rougher and more hostile if things don't change.
You've noted, I'm sure, an increase of angry, racist sentiments in society and on this forum. Though I've tried to discount racism as being a driving force in our society as it once was, there's no arguing that it does seem to be on the upswing on the "lunatic fringe".
All this "racism" and anger, on the part of MANY races, reflects a society headed rapidly into unknown territory. We no longer know what we "stand" for. Our leaders appear to be "out to lunch", if not openly dismissive of us "little people". The current administration seems to hold an attitude toward its constituents that falls just short of open contempt. We have the feeling, in other words, that there's nobody looking after our interests, and history shows these are signs of a population vulnerable to all sorts of bizarre, desperate plans to somehow get back in "control" of our lives and future.
Our government's absolute refusal to even ADDRESS the immigration situation, it's dismal no-win position in Iraq, its treatment of its own military, and its seemingly hell-bent determination to merge our nation with Canada and Mexico, and to do this in "secret", closed-door fashion, has produced a slow-burning anger. Exactly where this will lead is a matter of opinion. Civil War?- probably not. Dark, negative, less-free future?---maybe...

Last edited by macmeal; 08-28-2007 at 06:05 PM..

Old 08-28-2007, 07:37 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I don't know when exactly the illegal immigration debate became the big topic it is, I think it was a single senator who brought it up as a problem.

But I haven't seen this much conflict with race/legal status before in my lifetime (I am 35).

I understand the desire or outright need for a worker to come into the US illegally for the benefit of his or family, but I also don't want to encounter the portion of illegals who are criminals because of desperation or just disrespect for the law. What I don't understand is why our government, which is mostly a big business mouthpiece, claims to want to end illegal immigration, while at the same time admitting they need it. That's like saying "Get lost........hold on, can you do this job for me, then get lost? I might need you again later, so be ready"

An unfortunate fallout of illegal immigration is the treatment endured by the legal Spanish speaking population. I feel bad that any law-abiding person gets clustered with law-breakers and must deal with scorn as if they did something wrong.

I want to hear some opinions: Do you think a civil war type conflict is a possibility, with all the hatred and opposing agendas at play?
civil war type conflict is very possible. I feel bad for small kids today and their kids, I hate to say that some kind of conflict or out and out civil war is coming if the government will not stop illegals and the crime they put on Americans. Someday Americans will take back are country

Old 08-29-2007, 09:15 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default maybe

Maybe, but I also see the US government starting to impose democracy on other countrys like Iraq and I now read plans for cuba. I see them wanting to become the one world government (bush senior has said this himself).

So if it is going to happen, it would have to happen sooner than later. I am now thinking that Americans solution is to run to another state that has less illegals. When this is not possible anymore Americans will be the minority in the US and then who will win or have the full backing of our government?

If nothing changed in LA, what would cause it?

Old 08-29-2007, 10:43 AM

273 posts, read 249,333 times
I'm not sure all these illegal latinos are a bad thing. You got to admit, cheap labor is good for the economy. Their position is really no different than the pre-1960 negro. They will be segregated in to their own locales and we probably won't have much interaction with them, but will benifit from their cheap productivity.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:30 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
I'm not sure all these illegal latinos are a bad thing. You got to admit, cheap labor is good for the economy. Their position is really no different than the pre-1960 negro. They will be segregated in to their own locales and we probably won't have much interaction with them, but will benifit from their cheap productivity.
Their is a BIG deference between the 1960 Negro and cheap labor of today. The 1960 Negro is not a illegal alien The Negro is an American and has all American rights. The illegal alien is a criminal That has violated federal and state laws.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:14 AM

273 posts, read 249,333 times
Your right....there are so many here, I forgot that part. Sure will be nice when police officers have the authority to check their legal status. Can't come soon enough.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:10 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Answer to the OP: No.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:12 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post

No, the nation is too big and too rich. If the country fragmented they would just bring in troops from another part of the nation to squash the outbreak. We already have about 50,000 murders in the United States every three years or so. And that barely registers a mention on the evening news.

If we hit an economic collapse where the dollar was worthless and our economy tanked with hyperinflation, then I'd say yes because the central government in Washington would lose much of its power.

I could however see Alaska separating from the union. But it wouldn't happen in a civil war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration