U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:44 AM

88 posts, read 546,539 times

Advertisements

Just what benefits do illegal immigrants get? I thought that the U.S was only known for things such as food stamps and bare-bones public hospitals. I'm not aware of any U.S citizens receiving disability or welfare that's enough to live above the poverty line, letalone illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 07:11 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,487,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeans View Post
Just what benefits do illegal immigrants get? I thought that the U.S was only known for things such as food stamps and bare-bones public hospitals. I'm not aware of any U.S citizens receiving disability or welfare that's enough to live above the poverty line, letalone illegals.
They get welfare through fraud and their anchor babies. Surely, you know this. What does it matter if they live below or above the poverty line? It is our taxes they are tapping into. In their own countries they lived in poverty but they had to work to survive. Here many don't have to do that. Just pop out a few anchors and they don't have to work.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:24 PM

7,526 posts, read 7,184,036 times
Free public schooling. Unlimited use of our hospitals. Anchor babies afford them welfare, section 8, food stamps, etc.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:39 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,545,745 times
I used to do public assistance, until they basically made it a job requirement to speak Spanish. Anyone who does a food stamp or Medicaid review on a case and actually requests the required verifications, things like birth certificates, social security cards, and statements regarding housing, rent verification, income. You are treated like a racist if you ask for these documents on a case with a Hispanic name, yet dinged if you don't do it on cases with Anglo names. The politics of public assistance is crazy.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 PM

88 posts, read 546,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
They get welfare through fraud and their anchor babies. Surely, you know this
I suspected "anchor babies" as a gateway to getting welfare, but didn't think that they were able to get welfare. It just sounded like they were able to get entitlements that a legal U.S citizen could not. Even if they get the same as everyone else, I can see why everyone's fuming at that.

EDIT: Actually, I thought something like "If they're entitled to welfare, then how can they be better off than a legal citizen who gets the same amount of welfare?" Anchor babies in part, I guess. And 3 families in each house?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:24 PM

298 posts, read 335,198 times
And they need not bother paying taxes on under-the-table income, nor reporting said income to the welfare dept (since that would result in less or no food stamps), or buying auto insurance or getting a drivers license.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:08 AM

47,576 posts, read 60,387,118 times
Quote:
I suspected "anchor babies" as a gateway to getting welfare, but didn't think that they were able to get welfare. It just sounded like they were able to get entitlements that a legal U.S citizen could not. Even if they get the same as everyone else, I can see why everyone's fuming at that.

EDIT: Actually, I thought something like "If they're entitled to welfare, then how can they be better off than a legal citizen who gets the same amount of welfare?" Anchor babies in part, I guess. And 3 families in each house?
Yes -- often in their government provided housing that the anchor baby got them, there are several families, or renters. Illegals with a US born baby can rent out rooms to other illegals or space on the floor to sleep and actually make money from their free housing.

And of course many illegals work for cash as independent contractors and simply don't report their earnings when applying for government handouts.

Illegals and others from Mexico are doing better than ever in this economy - remittances to Mexico were up considerably in 2011, they have MORE money to send back.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:00 AM

22,358 posts, read 27,454,856 times
There used to be a time when the word "illegal" actually meant something. Insane for illegal aliens to receive any time of benefits. They should be deported as the law states.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:16 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,487,139 times
Quote:

Who said anything about them being better off? What I said is that even though they may or may not live in poverty here as they did in their own countries many don't have to work for a living here because of their anchor baby cash. In their own countries they don't get all these anchor baby freebies to suppliment their income or to live off of. Many of these anchor baby moms don't have to work at all.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:53 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,696,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I used to do public assistance, until they basically made it a job requirement to speak Spanish. Anyone who does a food stamp or Medicaid review on a case and actually requests the required verifications, things like birth certificates, social security cards, and statements regarding housing, rent verification, income. You are treated like a racist if you ask for these documents on a case with a Hispanic name, yet dinged if you don't do it on cases with Anglo names. The politics of public assistance is crazy.
I know exactly what you are talking about and it is that way all across the country. I had to work with public assistance offices and that is where I learned a lot about illegal immigrants and government assistance, the fraud and the whole sha-bang.

It is amazing that the workers in those offices were encouraged to pay less scrutinizing attention to cases involving Spanish speaking people.

How can people who were born in the United States or who are legally here be treated with more scrutiny and restrictions than someone who is illegally in the country? I've literally seen doors shut in U.S. citizens' faces and seen them wide open for illegal immigrants.

Also, there is the Spanish translation aspect. A U.S. citizen could walk into a government office and wait hours for an opening, but because a translator is available, or many, a non-English speaking person can walk in and get top-notch assistance and a much faster process.

It's a culture of 1) feeling sorry for illegal immigrants or 2) being afraid to go after illegal immigrants because a] the racism claims or b] people are afraid to dive into an illegal immigration case because of fear of it being complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration