Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 02:21 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times

Advertisements

Ala. GOP leaders have 2nd thoughts on immigration - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Gov. Robert Bentley, who signed the law, said he's contacting foreign executives to tell them they and their companies are still welcome in Alabama.

"We are not anti-foreign companies. We are very pro-foreign companies,
Oh that's right: 'furrin' companies like BMW actually pay billions of dollars in taxes to your state and foreign trade contributes substantially to your economy.

And I'm guessing some of them thar furrin folk have probably picked up the phone and, with the help of their best translators, told the state's highest officials that they'd better stop this crap, or they'll relocate somewhere else.

Being a bigot has a price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 02:29 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Since the law took effect, Alabama's unemployment rate has dropped a half percentage point. Says the article. Good for them.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:36 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Since the law took effect, Alabama's unemployment rate has dropped a half percentage point. Says the article. Good for them.
lol, it would take up to a year before the illegals that left Alabama to no longer be counted in unemployment statistics.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:43 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
The only bigotry is the all too common belief in the hispanic community that hispanics are entitled to break our immigration laws with impunity. Americans are not responsible for making the sure the economic desires of Latin America's underclass are met. People in Alabama should have the right to enforce immigration laws. I'm sorry some people think otherwise solely because most of the violators share some of their ancestry.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:11 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
The only bigotry is the all too common belief in the hispanic community that hispanics are entitled to break our immigration laws with impunity. Americans are not responsible for making the sure the economic desires of Latin America's underclass are met. People in Alabama should have the right to enforce immigration laws. I'm sorry some people think otherwise solely because most of the violators share some of their ancestry.
You totally miss the point. As a Puerto Rican born in Puerto Rico I am a full fledged American citizen, as were my parents. What bothers me is that if I go to Alabama I can be pulled over just because of the way I look and it's legal. Ever think that people of Italian descent can look Hispanic as well?

I am not sure what race you are, but I am sure if you had physical characterstics that allowed police to pull you over just on how you look, I am sure you wouldn't be too happy....

I think illigeal immigration needs to be controlled, however, the way Alabama and Arizona are going about it is the wrong way.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:29 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
You totally miss the point. As a Puerto Rican born in Puerto Rico I am a full fledged American citizen, as were my parents. What bothers me is that if I go to Alabama I can be pulled over just because of the way I look and it's legal. Ever think that people of Italian descent can look Hispanic as well?

I am not sure what race you are, but I am sure if you had physical characterstics that allowed police to pull you over just on how you look, I am sure you wouldn't be too happy....

I think illigeal immigration needs to be controlled, however, the way Alabama and Arizona are going about it is the wrong way.
I see you have been drinking the pro-illegal kool-aid. Let me set you straight. No one is pulled over in Alabama or any other state just because of their looks. You are spouting nonsense. I would also ask you what would you have to fear anyway if pulled over? Don't you normally have a valid DL when pulled over?

It doesn't bother me in the least if the cops are looking for a white female who committed a crime and I happen to fit that description. I don't commit crimes and I am an American citizen with a valid DL. I am happy to cooperate with LE when needed.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:29 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
The only bigotry is the all too common belief in the hispanic community that hispanics are entitled to break our immigration laws with impunity.
Do you even know the meaning of the word 'bigotry'?

Quote:
Americans are not responsible for making the sure the economic desires of Latin America's underclass are met. People in Alabama should have the right to enforce immigration laws. I'm sorry some people think otherwise solely because most of the violators share some of their ancestry.
Keep that confederate flag flyin'.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:38 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I see you have been drinking the pro-illegal kool-aid. Let me set you straight. No one is pulled over in Alabama or any other state just because of their looks. You are spouting nonsense. I would also ask you what would you have to fear anyway if pulled over? Don't you normally have a valid DL when pulled over?

It doesn't bother me in the least if the cops are looking for a white female who committed a crime and I happen to fit that description. I don't commit crimes and I am an American citizen with a valid DL. I am happy to cooperate with LE when needed.
I have nothing to hide, but what about if I get pulled over every week by someone different? You act as if you get pulled over once and you prove you are a citizen that they will never pull you over again.

The simple fact that a law being passed making it okay to pull somone over because of the way they look is bad enough.

Your example doesn't work here because that is a SPECIFIC incident. The immigration laws are going after people because of the way they look and who they are, not because they robbed a store or did a hit and run.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:44 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Do you even know the meaning of the word 'bigotry'?

Keep that confederate flag flyin'.

Do you even know what the Confederate flag stands for?

I bet you don't.

The flag represented the South's resistance to the North...It has 13 stars that represent the 13 southern states of the American union before they formed the Confederate States of America. It has nothing to do with racism.

But what do I know? I am only a Political Science AND History major

And I actually take the time to get educated on subjects before running my mouth.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:47 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post

You need to read the LAW and stop drinking the Kool-Aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration