Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:03 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,310,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Application is not a guarantee, only an intent to become a permanent resident and eventually a citizen. An alternate way would be to have an anchor child.
Being a US National does not qualify one for permanent residency, much less citizenship.

I'm being repetitive to counter the same argument you keep regurgitating. An anchor baby is one born to a non-immigrant (who are here temporarily) or illegal immigrants (who are here illegally). The former was the case with Michelle Malkin's parents as well as Bobby Jindal's.
Prove it then rather than it just being your opinion.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:26 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,216,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Again, who cares if lawbreakers are offended?
Did you click on the link to the definition of the word offensive?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Did you click on the link to the definition of the word offensive?
Your link didn't work.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:43 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,800,296 times
Quote:
Prove it then rather than it just being your opinion.
Prove what? Something I've gone over and over with you? Anyway...

1- Bobby Jindal's parents came to the USA on non-immigrant visa. A non-immigrant visa is issued for temporary visit and on guarantee that there is no intent of immigration (hence, non-immigrant). His parents dropped the anchor, and we have the so-called anchor baby in Bobby Jindal.

2- Michelle Malkin's parents came to the USA on a work permit (a non-immigrant visa). A non-immigrant visa is issued on the promise of returning "home" before the visa (or contract/work) expires. Her parents dropped the anchor, and we have the so-called anchor baby in Michelle Malkin.

QED.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM

782 posts, read 1,108,506 times
Quote:
You're wrong. The term anchor baby is reserved strictly for those that were born from "illegal" parents. If someone overstays their visa then they are also illegally here but Malkin's parents did no such thing.
Quote:

By who?
By the people that use the term..not because Wikipedia says so...
Wikipedia talks about the term, how it's used and how cultures are offended by it..but it never addresses Where it came from, Where it was first used (except for a sentence on Anchor Children from Vietnam) and, Who first used it.
I therefore submit that Anchor Baby is a descriptive term used by American citizens describing children born of parents that are illegal aliens. That the child was born in the US with the sole purpose of attaining birthright citizenship for the future purpose of conferring citizenship back to the parents. I have been using the term since the 80's .

I will say this again..Test Tube Babies, Bone Marrow Babies, Anchor Babies..it is what is and they are what they are...if the shoe fits wear it.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
By the people that use the term..not because Wikipedia says so...
Wikipedia talks about the term, how it's used and how cultures are offended by it..but it never addresses Where it came from, Where it was first used (except for a sentence on Anchor Children from Vietnam) and, Who first used it.
I therefore submit that Anchor Baby is a descriptive term used by American citizens describing children born of parents that are illegal aliens. That the child was born in the US with the sole purpose of attaining birthright citizenship for the future purpose of conferring citizenship back to the parents. I have been using the term since the 80's .
That is because you want to ignore the other side of the coin. It doesn't matter how long you've done so. How exactly does the shoe not fit, when parents come to this land on guarantee of non-immigration (work permit/temporary visa) and drop an anchor for the same reasons that an illegal immigrant would? Neither is expected to stay here, but have an "anchor" to use.

It is this pick and choose methodology you all adopt that takes away your credibility to define anything, no matter for how long and how often and how loudly it has been screamed. Facts are here to stay.

BTW, what of tourists (on visitor's visa) who drop an anchor here? May be that is an approach to immigration you all approve of?

Old 12-12-2011, 03:09 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,639,672 times
I can almost see the saliva spraying on the screen as you people rant about how non-derogatory the bogus term "anchor baby" is.

Maybe you should invest in a dictionary and look up the word "derogatory".

Old 12-12-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Prove what? Something I've gone over and over with you? Anyway...

1- Bobby Jindal's parents came to the USA on non-immigrant visa. A non-immigrant visa is issued for temporary visit and on guarantee that there is no intent of immigration (hence, non-immigrant). His parents dropped the anchor, and we have the so-called anchor baby in Bobby Jindal.

2- Michelle Malkin's parents came to the USA on a work permit (a non-immigrant visa). A non-immigrant visa is issued on the promise of returning "home" before the visa (or contract/work) expires. Her parents dropped the anchor, and we have the so-called anchor baby in Michelle Malkin.

QED.
Prove that when the term "anchor baby" originated it was meant to include babies born from parents here legally. It's pretty simple really.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Prove that when the term "anchor baby" originated it was meant to include babies born from parents here legally. It's pretty simple really.
I can, if you cooperate and answer this question:

A couple applies for, and gets Visitor's Visa to the USA. They arrive here (clearly, legally), and have a baby. Now they're parents of an American citizen.

Would this baby qualify as an anchor baby based on the definitions you use? In mine, I would say yes.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I can almost see the saliva spraying on the screen as you people rant about how non-derogatory the bogus term "anchor baby" is.

Maybe you should invest in a dictionary and look up the word "derogatory".
Maybe you should read the posts. None of have said that it isn't a deragatory term but it is a deragotory act for illegal alien parents to give birth on our soil hoping this will anchor them onto our country, therefore it deserves a deragatory term. What we are asking is why are those who do that offended by it? Should bank robbers be offended if they are called "bank robbers"?

Last edited by chicagonut; 12-12-2011 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.