U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 05:46 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,725,011 times

Advertisements

From the article:
Quote:
A 20-year-old undocumented immigrant in a quiet but determined voice challenging the judge to decide his fate right then with an ultimatum that left some in the court stunned. "Id rather you make a decision today," David Morales said. "Its been a really hard year for me. I want to go to college. I want to do something with my life."
And the downside to the judges decision:
Quote:
But Pead calmly explained to Morales that if he rendered a decision there, he would only be left with one choice to issue a voluntary removal order. That would essentially require Morales to leave the country and return to his native Mexico within a few months.
The outcome of not rendering a decision:
Quote:
After about a five minute recess, Young and Morales came back and agreed to let federal prosecutors review his case to see if he would qualify under the federal policy announced in August that would prioritize deportations among undocumented immigrants by focusing on those with criminal charges......However, the policy doesnt grant legal status. Instead it puts immigrants in a position where they were before their arrest without status and without documents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or