U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:31 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,081,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I can vouch for that. I remember when California used to be a paradise.
Yeah, before the energy crisis, the subprime crisis and the budget deficit. Wait! All those things have nothing to do with illegal immigration. Not only that, but crime FELL to it's lowest levels recently!

Yeah the 1980s and 1970s. Rising unemployment, rising crime, and high amounts of racial tension. GREAT TIMES!!! Hell, my parents even say that the late 1990s and early 2000s (prior to the housing bubble) was a great time for CA. My dad lived here since the 1950s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,643,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Yeah, before the energy crisis, the subprime crisis and the budget deficit. Wait! All those things have nothing to do with illegal immigration. Not only that, but crime FELL to it's lowest levels recently!

Yeah the 1980s and 1970s. Rising unemployment, rising crime, and high amounts of racial tension. GREAT TIMES!!! Hell, my parents even say that the late 1990s and early 2000s (prior to the housing bubble) was a great time for CA. My dad lived here since the 1950s.
Maybe chicagonut is old enough to remember when California was indeed 'paradise'. Many 'old timers' who actually had the honor of growing up there in the 1950's-mid 1970's can vouch for that as well.

I arrived there in 1978 and it was already deteriorating due to overpriced housing and gang problems-----------and, compared to Wash DC, California was still 'paradise'.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:49 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,157,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Maybe chicagonut is old enough to remember when California was indeed 'paradise'. Many 'old timers' who actually had the honor of growing up there in the 1950's-mid 1970's can vouch for that as well.

I arrived there in 1978 and it was already deteriorating due to overpriced housing and gang problems-----------and, compared to Wash DC, California was still 'paradise'.
You are correct! I was referring to the 50's up to the mid 70's. Mostly prior to 1965 as it was after that our government had the "let them all in" attitude. After the 1986 amnesty that is when the "let them all in" attitude became hordes of illegal aliens.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:52 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,088,876 times
Quote:
I can vouch for that. I remember when California used to be a paradise.
I remember, before the gold rush of 1849...after 1849, its been on a constant down hill slide.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Or maybe nostalgia...

Old 02-11-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
You are correct! I was referring to the 50's up to the mid 70's. Mostly prior to 1965 as it was after that our government had the "let them all in" attitude. After the 1986 amnesty that is when the "let them all in" attitude became hordes of illegal aliens.
Yeah the 1950s and 1960s with increased racial tension and housing segregation. There were two Black people and no Hispanic people at my dad's high school in the early 1960s. Oh, what about the zoot suit riots in the 1940s. The Watts riots of the 1960s.

Oddly the same "hordes" helped prop up the economy of south central after the last middle income residents left for the burbs in the 1990s.

California was highly segregated. I'd not call that a paradise.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I remember, before the gold rush of 1849...after 1849, its been on a constant down hill slide.
ROFLMAO!

If California has deteriorated so much since 1848: why do so many damn illegal aliens from Mexico still want to live there yet turn their noses up at Guatemala? Remember the Guats pulled a 'Texas 1836' and booted Mexico out as well prior to 1848.

I certainly hear no hue and cry from Mx wanting Guatemala back: maybe because it is poor and mostly Indian?

Hindsight being 20/20: we (the USA) should have taken all of Mexico in 1848.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Yeah the 1950s and 1960s with increased racial tension and housing segregation. There were two Black people and no Hispanic people at my dad's high school in the early 1960s. Oh, what about the zoot suit riots in the 1940s. The Watts riots of the 1960s.

Oddly the same "hordes" helped prop up the economy of south central after the last middle income residents left for the burbs in the 1990s.

California was highly segregated. I'd not call that a paradise.
Yawn. Till fairly recently (1948) Jewish people were not allowed to live in certain enclaves, nor were the Irish (back east), etc. Last time I checked; they would be considered Anglos here in Arizona

Things change-----------and, the odds are growing that we will see a de facto return to Jim Crow pertaining to at least Spanish speaking Latinos courtesy of the insolence of the mostly Hispanic illegal aliens.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:15 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,157,849 times
Quote:
ROFLMAO!

If California has deteriorated so much since 1848: why do so many damn illegal aliens from Mexico still want to live there yet turn their noses up at Guatemala? Remember the Guats pulled a 'Texas 1836' and booted Mexico out as well prior to 1848.

I certainly hear no hue and cry from Mx wanting Guatemala back: maybe because it is poor and mostly Indian?

Hindsight being 20/20: we (the USA) should have taken all of Mexico in 1848.
We had our social problems during the 50's and 60's including the plight of black citizens in this country but one still had a sense of being at home in one's own country lingually and culturally. There wasn't the overcrowded conditions that we see today in our schools, less crime, less taxes, cleaner air, less traffic, not waiting for hours to see a doctor or to get treated in the emergency room and illegal immigration was only a trickle not a tsunami.

I also wonder why Mexicans aren't clamouring to invade Guatamala. I mean if they want to use that ole stolen land argument.......

Old 02-11-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Yawn. Till fairly recently (1948) Jewish people were not allowed to live in certain enclaves, nor were the Irish (back east), etc. Last time I checked; they would be considered Anglos here in Arizona

Things change-----------and, the odds are growing that we will see a de facto return to Jim Crow pertaining to at least Spanish speaking Latinos courtesy of the insolence of the mostly Hispanic illegal aliens.
How does that negate anything? So segregation in California was okay because it happened everywhere else?

Actually the odds are LESSENING that we will return to to an apartheid state. This is because of how integrated the newer suburbs are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration