Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,151 times

Advertisements

Mitt Romney said Friday that if elected president he would make illegal immigrants return to their home country in order to get a green card.

Romney: Illegal Immigrants Who Want A Green Card Must First Return Home | Fox News

Something does not seem right about this to me. These people if they return to their home countries should have to stay there and not be eligible for citizenship or even a tourist Visa to return to America. They are law breakers who likely used fake documents to get a job and rent an apartment, open a bank account.

To me, the people who have not broken the law should have first choice to get in line for a green card or tourist Visa.

Why is Romney even considering these law breakers for a Green Card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 12:19 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,946 times
Well are you or is he talking about a specific country or all countries in general?

This may already sort of be happening anyways for Mexico. When one starts the immigration process for a green card the first step is the Resident card and if the one undocumented is in U.S illegally there is no guarentee they are safe. If they are caught while going through process they can still be deported. Once the resident card(GC) gets approved is when the real process begins, the Visa. This is when they must return to Mexico to go to consualte for interview. From there they muct stay in Mexico until decision is made. The old way of obtaining a green card while in U.S. doesn't exist anymore maybe for other countries but then again they are illegal too. For Mexico you MUST leave the U.S. to get the visa in order to, in the end, recieve the GC.

In my case my husband had to stay in Mexico for 3 years and that was after his Green card was approved in U.S. No one realizes the green card is easy to get but the Visa is a whole other story, unless you are already in Mexico and never have entered U.S.
This is for spousal or fiance visas it may be different for work and study visas.

Last edited by laina1980; 12-19-2011 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: mistake

Old 12-19-2011, 01:43 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Ideally, no.

However, assuming they left voluntarily, how would immigration officials know they were once here as illegal aliens?

It's much better than any plan that involves considering giving any of them amnesty and simply allowing them to remain.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:12 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Ideally, no.

However, assuming they left voluntarily, how would immigration officials know they were once here as illegal aliens?
They know. #1 rule when going to consulate interview, DON"T LIE.
If you do you better trace your tracks. Anything can come up on thier system. My husband said he saw one Officer throw the guys paperwork on the floor for lying and said "I told you not to lie, I have here you were in U.S such dates" they are vicious and play many head games in the interviews.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
read my lips no more amnesty. done it twice its an invite to wipe your muddy feet on our laws.
"immigration reform" my foot. they already return to mexico, they do it all the time its called
"emergencia" lots of people do it.
and its not 11 million, lying presidential candidates like on TV last night. its 20 million. and u know those trade jobs that were too good for your worthless kid?
they are doin em. have u noticed that all the new cops and soldiers are named lopez now? every time you hire that mexican man to mow your lawn when your kid is sitting on the couch u r helping support illegal immigration.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:15 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
A resounding NO. Everyone one of these side stepping avenues is just another carrot to draw yet more illegals here. Do we need more highly skilled workers? Yes. Do we need unskilled laborers with no education? No. We do not need to add anyone to the social service network.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:43 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Mitt Romney said Friday that if elected president he would make illegal immigrants return to their home country in order to get a green card.

Romney: Illegal Immigrants Who Want A Green Card Must First Return Home | Fox News

Something does not seem right about this to me. These people if they return to their home countries should have to stay there and not be eligible for citizenship or even a tourist Visa to return to America. They are law breakers who likely used fake documents to get a job and rent an apartment, open a bank account.

To me, the people who have not broken the law should have first choice to get in line for a green card or tourist Visa.

Why is Romney even considering these law breakers for a Green Card?

Why should they be allowed to even have that option after breaking our laws. Deport them end of story.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:44 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I don't think there's any good answer since they never should have been allowed here in the first place. Since it's gone this far, maybe have them sign up on a list somewhere and then go back to their country and apply. It will be a strange process since they have already broken our immigration laws but let them be special cases who can eventually get in if they pass the other tests like all LEGAL immigrants.

As for the ones who do NOT sign up to be on the list of possible legal immigrants, they either want to go home (and should go) OR they should be arrested and deported.

Romney comes closest of the lot to coming up with a fair solution.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Certainly not if they've committed felony document fraud and used stolen social security cards or have failed to pay all their taxes, hospital bills, etc.

If they are allowed to go back, they should have to get to the back of the line behind the others who have applied first. And there should be no guarantees because with so many Americans out of work, we don't need very many green card workers.

No welfare or food stamp types at all of course.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,151 times
Default Criminal Illegal Aliens should not be allowed to wait in line for citizenship!

If they broke all those laws they should not be able to even get in a line for the right to return to America. They are criminals!

There are tons of impressive people who are sitting in countries all over the world who have broke no laws and are extremely talented that deserve to be allowed to wait in line for the right to come to America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Certainly not if they've committed felony document fraud and used stolen social security cards or have failed to pay all their taxes, hospital bills, etc.

If they are allowed to go back, they should have to get to the back of the line behind the others who have applied first. And there should be no guarantees because with so many Americans out of work, we don't need very many green card workers.

No welfare or food stamp types at all of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration