U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-21-2011, 04:31 PM
 
Location: New Hampshire
4,827 posts, read 4,649,060 times
Reputation: 3583

Advertisements

200 undocumented Pacific Steel workers lose their jobs | Berkeleyside


"After a recent crackdown by the Department of Homeland Security, 200 workers who could not provide a valid social security number are being laid off.

Those let go from the third largest foundry in the United States include many highly skilled workers who have been at the company for decades."

"The crackdown comes at an interesting time for Pacific Steel. Demand for its steel parts dropped considerably when the economy sank in 2008, but has been picking up rapidly in recent months, said Jewel. The factory only had about 470 workers in March, but has gone on a hiring spree since then, increasing its work for to 600, said Jewel. It is running three shifts 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The average employee earns about $18 an hour."


I am sure no American wants to work making $18 an hour which is more than what I make.

No mention of deportation though...funny huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2011, 05:36 PM
 
373 posts, read 489,196 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
200 undocumented Pacific Steel workers lose their jobs | Berkeleyside


"After a recent crackdown by the Department of Homeland Security, 200 workers who could not provide a valid social security number are being laid off.

Those let go from the third largest foundry in the United States include many highly skilled workers who have been at the company for decades."

"The crackdown comes at an interesting time for Pacific Steel. Demand for its steel parts dropped considerably when the economy sank in 2008, but has been picking up rapidly in recent months, said Jewel. The factory only had about 470 workers in March, but has gone on a hiring spree since then, increasing its work for to 600, said Jewel. It is running three shifts 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The average employee earns about $18 an hour."


I am sure no American wants to work making $18 an hour which is more than what I make.

No mention of deportation though...funny huh?
Just shows we need a worker permit system like the one they use in Canada. The fired workers will just go to another job HERE and get hired..With a permit system they could not do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 05:51 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,155,041 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
200 undocumented Pacific Steel workers lose their jobs | Berkeleyside


"After a recent crackdown by the Department of Homeland Security, 200 workers who could not provide a valid social security number are being laid off.

Those let go from the third largest foundry in the United States include many highly skilled workers who have been at the company for decades."

"The crackdown comes at an interesting time for Pacific Steel. Demand for its steel parts dropped considerably when the economy sank in 2008, but has been picking up rapidly in recent months, said Jewel. The factory only had about 470 workers in March, but has gone on a hiring spree since then, increasing its work for to 600, said Jewel. It is running three shifts 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The average employee earns about $18 an hour."


I am sure no American wants to work making $18 an hour which is more than what I make.

No mention of deportation though...funny huh?
Yeah, I'd like to see the claim by the pro-illegals that Americans won't work for that kind of money. As for their deportation, it doesn't surprise me at all that it wasn't mentioned. Afterall, Obama has a hands off approach on illegals unless they have commited a heinous crime. Felony SS and I.D. theft don't count, I guess. They will probably be added to the other 300,000 that Obama refuses to deport and then they will be given work permits. This country is so screwed up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 06:09 PM
 
1,487 posts, read 1,990,689 times
Reputation: 934
Just a few years ago ICE was saying that 35% of farm laborers were foreign workers. That means 65% are American born workers. So who is saying that American workers don't want to work in the fields? Sounds fishy to me. 65% may not be 100% but it is still a majority. Jobs Americans don't want to do? I think there BS here in industrial quantities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 06:13 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,155,041 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Just a few years ago ICE was saying that 35% of farm laborers were foreign workers. That means 65% are American born workers. So who is saying that American workers don't want to work in the fields? Sounds fishy to me. 65% may not be 100% but it is still a majority. Jobs Americans don't want to do? I think there BS here in industrial quantities.
Right! And out of that 35% of foreign farm laborers only 3% of them are illegal aliens. What are the other 97% doing? I hardly know of any other jobs that an American won't do for a fair wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 01:51 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Reputation: 22159
Problem is, even if it were true that Americans don't want to work, it's not feasible to have 30 million foreigners working here illegally sending billions of dollars out of this country every month which is what is taking place now, while 20 million American citizens are paid not to work.

The government will run out of money doing that.

Remittances to Mexico were way way up in 2011, and remittances are many billions of dollars every month. Not all remittance senders are here illegally, but immigrants coming here with no desire to invest in this country are not benefitting this country. American citizens need jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Kansas
19,189 posts, read 14,079,037 times
Reputation: 18141
I have seen American workers being replaced here by what I am guessing are illegals. These are jobs that we have people ready and willing to take. Gone are the days of most jobs being those that Americans won't take. When it comes to the agricultural jobs, they can bring them in legally for the short-term but this would require them to have to be "fair" to them. In reality, the reason nothing is being done is because those that have $$$$$, want them here to exploit them - cheap labor to clean their houses, care for their children, tend their garden, work in conditions others would not because they don't complain, can't complain and American workers know more about the laws which are in place for a reason. It is actually sad that those that defend these illegals do so out of selfishness in order to keep or put more money into their own pockets. IF we need the workers, issue the green cards and make it contingent on a wage that doesn't require the government to support them. Shoot, up the hill you have a lot of young, healthy Americans still asleep and planning to veg out on the couch all day - cut their welfare checks and you might find them ready to pluck a chicken when their belly starts rumbling and drowns out the sound of the TV!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 08:14 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Reputation: 22159
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have seen American workers being replaced here by what I am guessing are illegals. These are jobs that we have people ready and willing to take. Gone are the days of most jobs being those that Americans won't take. When it comes to the agricultural jobs, they can bring them in legally for the short-term but this would require them to have to be "fair" to them. In reality, the reason nothing is being done is because those that have $$$$$, want them here to exploit them - cheap labor to clean their houses, care for their children, tend their garden, work in conditions others would not because they don't complain, can't complain and American workers know more about the laws which are in place for a reason. It is actually sad that those that defend these illegals do so out of selfishness in order to keep or put more money into their own pockets. IF we need the workers, issue the green cards and make it contingent on a wage that doesn't require the government to support them. Shoot, up the hill you have a lot of young, healthy Americans still asleep and planning to veg out on the couch all day - cut their welfare checks and you might find them ready to pluck a chicken when their belly starts rumbling and drowns out the sound of the TV!
Yes.

There likely are Americans who are perfectly happy never having to work, they're plenty comfortable on welfare programs, and eternally extended unemployment checks - however we cannot keep going with millions of unemployed and never employed Americans living off the government (taxpayers) indefinitely and millions of foreign workers coming in who send billions of dollars out of this country every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top