Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,345 times

Advertisements

I don't know but most of the american people come from inmigrants most of them from europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 02:47 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
This country was founded by European immigrants

Old 08-30-2007, 03:03 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
No, we're not here for good. I mean it was fine in the beginning but Jesus, the traffic has gotten just awful over the past 520 years so we're all going back.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:03 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
And this country is being ruined by illegal immigrants.

Immigrants who come here legally who want to be Americans are good for America.

Illegals who break laws, they break a law just by being here. I don't want to hear the lie that they are only working hard, blah, blah. Illegals come here illegally, refuse to assimilate and don't want to become American. They just want the freebies from this country.

Americans and legal citizens need to wake up and vote people in who are going to secure our borders and deport all illegals.

I a sure I am going to get bashed and called racist. I said nothing about anyone's ethnicity, so how can that be racist. I don't care what race, ethnicity, etc. an illegal is-they are illegal.

If we had just enforced current immigration laws and secured our borders, then many many Americans would still be alive today, including the 3 young kids from Newark whose lives were cut short. We have enough murders and other crimes that are committed by Americans. People here illegally should be deported and our crime rate will drop big time

Old 08-30-2007, 03:08 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
And this country is being ruined by illegal immigrants.

Immigrants who come here legally who want to be Americans are good for America.

Illegals who break laws, they break a law just by being here. I don't want to hear the lie that they are only working hard, blah, blah. Illegals come here illegally, refuse to assimilate and don't want to become American. They just want the freebies from this country.

Americans and legal citizens need to wake up and vote people in who are going to secure our borders and deport all illegals.

I a sure I am going to get bashed and called racist. I said nothing about anyone's ethnicity, so how can that be racist. I don't care what race, ethnicity, etc. an illegal is-they are illegal.

If we had just enforced current immigration laws and secured our borders, then many many Americans would still be alive today, including the 3 young kids from Newark whose lives were cut short. We have enough murders and other crimes that are committed by Americans. People here illegally should be deported and our crime rate will drop big time
It's not racist. I don't have a terribly strong opinion on illegals but if they don't have a soc. sec number how can they pay taxes?
Also, I do not believe the solution will be an easy one but there needs to be a solution nonetheless

Old 08-30-2007, 03:20 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
It's not racist. I don't have a terribly strong opinion on illegals but if they don't have a soc. sec number how can they pay taxes?
Also, I do not believe the solution will be an easy one but there needs to be a solution nonetheless
why is it so hard to get into this country legally? i know SOOO many people waiting 7+ years for a green card. these are hard workers with good jobs, pay taxes, etc, yet can't get that final seal of approval. wouldn't making it easier to get here curb the problem somewhat?

Old 08-30-2007, 03:29 PM

Double-post.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
why is it so hard to get into this country legally? i know SOOO many people waiting 7+ years for a green card. these are hard workers with good jobs, pay taxes, etc, yet can't get that final seal of approval. wouldn't making it easier to get here curb the problem somewhat?
Well...the reason it's hard, primarily, is because we're having enough trouble just supporting ourselves. Many times, our plate is just too full. I mean what are we supposed to do? There are so many homeless on our very own streets. Government "hand up" programs are in shambles, people are taxed out the ears. It's so hard already, especially financially, that sometimes there's simply no room for more people. I personally think that's why. ETA: And there's the simple matter of overcrowding. There are many cities and towns in this country where you can't walk down the street without bumping arms with other people, or people are living close enough to touch each other out their windows, or many many people to one house. Yes, there are very uncrowded places in this country. Unfortunately these would obviously tend to be the rural areas, where the work just...isn't. So more and more people have to try to crowd into the epicenters where the jobs are and it's just physically too much that way as well.

It would be so awesome if we really could let everybody in who wanted to be in. But it's just not feasible. We're already suffering as it is. It's like a starving person giving his last piece of bread to someone else. Yes, that would be a really wonderful and selfless thing to do but it's not really fair if the person is *made* to do it. We support an awful lot of people who don't give back (in the form of taxes). It's just way too much.

Now, obviously many Americans are affluent at least by comparison to people of other countries. But the thing is, we're working to be that affluent. I don't really believe in the whole "well, you have a lot so no matter how you got it, you're obligated to give it to other people" thing. Welllllllllll...partially I do (b/c I do believe in government help programs...just am sad that they don't work too well) and I do believe we should *try* to help one another, but...I think what the posters above are referring to is people who don't give *anything* back, don't pay taxes; or who seriously misbehave, as in crime. This obviously is not every immigrant, and not even every illegal immigrant (at least as far as the crime goes) but there are enough people who do fit that description that they're killing it for immigrants who would like to give back and do things societally, you know, give-and-take, I mean.

That's just my take on it.

ETA: Also, Tahiti, you know what is really sad? Your friends are having this degree of trouble because they are trying to do it legitimately. The people that posters above are complaining about (I think) are the sneak-in-ers. Your friends are known by the system because they're applying, going through the appropriate channels, etc. and so the government is able to say no. It's harder to say no to someone who sneaks in and then "lies low" from a governmental standpoint by not identifying him or herself (i.e...getting a legitimate job that involves an SS number and the paying of taxes). Again, that's, I believe, why people are frustrated with this situation.

Oh, and by the way. Counting down until this gets moved to the Immigration Forum, LOL.............

Last edited by JerZ; 08-30-2007 at 03:40 PM..

Old 08-30-2007, 04:46 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
It's beyond frustrating to do it legally. I did it and it took FOREVER and cost a small fortune. I first came to the US on a work visa valid for 1.5 years which was extended for another 1.5 years. During that time I fell in love (ahh) and got married. We had to be married for 3 years before I could get a green card. Then I had to keep my green card and be a good citizen (not get arrested) for 5 years and then I was free to apply for citizenship...which took a good year to come through. They are so strict that you have to be a person of good character - no arrests, DUI's etc and yet they don't seem to care about the law breaking illegals. It blows my mind. All this so I can work and pay taxes. Next time, screw it, I'm running across the border.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:01 PM

328 posts, read 1,196,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
It's beyond frustrating to do it legally. I did it and it took FOREVER and cost a small fortune. I first came to the US on a work visa valid for 1.5 years which was extended for another 1.5 years. During that time I fell in love (ahh) and got married. We had to be married for 3 years before I could get a green card. Then I had to keep my green card and be a good citizen (not get arrested) for 5 years and then I was free to apply for citizenship...which took a good year to come through. They are so strict that you have to be a person of good character - no arrests, DUI's etc and yet they don't seem to care about the law breaking illegals. It blows my mind. All this so I can work and pay taxes. Next time, screw it, I'm running across the border.
It's extremely difficult to legally immigrate to the US if you are from Europe. Although if you're from Asia, Africa or South and Central America it's easy. You can thank the pride of Massachusetts for that, Senator Teddy Kennedy and his "Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965." This one act is more responsible for the current situation in the United States than any other.

Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration