U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2012, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,766 posts, read 12,748,545 times
Reputation: 5440

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
My question would be why have a press anything for Spanish since English is our national language? Spanish will only become a prominant language in this country if unabated illegal immigration from south of our border continues. If Hispanic citizens who know how to speak English prefer things in Spanish, I say tough rocks. What does a common hemisphere have to do with and individual country's national language?

As has been pointed out in here it isn't just illegal aliens and first generation Hispanics that prefer Spanish over English in many cases. It is several generations that do. I see no reason to accomodate their "preference" when English is our language. It is a non-assimilation factor to me. What someone chooses to speak at home however is their own business.
English is NOT our national language. We have no official national language. English is dominant and common here and it is used as the worldwide language of business, but it is not official and there is nothing saying people can't use something else.

 
Old 01-01-2012, 01:53 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Why does it matter what language people are speaking? Are you suggesting that the government force individuals and private businesses to exclusively speak and use only English? That's quite the big government you're supporting.
Smarter nations like India are making great strides because they've realized the importance of a common language. English is the language of the world, of business, of science. It's utterly foolish that in this country we do not promote the use of a common language but instead promote language ghettos and balkanization.

Of course the powers-that-be may prefer to have the people in this country divided and unable to communicate -- and of course unable to read the US Constitution.
 
Old 01-01-2012, 03:28 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 1,422,745 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Sorry, but there is no reputable source that suggests 50 million illegal latinos. I've never even seen a number that high anywhere until you said it here. I think even numbers as high as 20 million are too high.
In light of the fact that illegal aliens do not sign in after they cross the border dictates that any numbers that you read will be nothing more than an estimate. The fact that the US government has been spouting the 12 million estimate for more than a decade is indicative of the fact that their estimate is off by several million.

Additionally, I never suggested that all of the illegals in this country are "latino". While the majority of illegals are from Mexico, I am fully aware that we have illegal aliens from all over the world.

Our borders have been wide open since prior to 1986 and the flow has been steady the entire time. Add to the fray, thousands, possibly millions of visa overstayers.

I am more inclined to believe that there is an estimated 50 million (possibly more) illegal aliens living in America to date.
 
Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Smarter nations like India are making great strides because they've realized the importance of a common language. English is the language of the world, of business, of science. It's utterly foolish that in this country we do not promote the use of a common language but instead promote language ghettos and balkanization.

Of course the powers-that-be may prefer to have the people in this country divided and unable to communicate -- and of course unable to read the US Constitution.
I'd like to know where I implied that the government should interfere by forcing people to speak our common langauge. However, you are right why not promote our language rather than encouraging this segregation and balkinization by different language usages in our country out in public? I am aware that our laws state that anyone can speak any language they want to but this is about non-assimilation and rudeness to me, not about our laws.
 
Old 01-01-2012, 05:59 PM
 
387 posts, read 270,741 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
In light of the fact that illegal aliens do not sign in after they cross the border dictates that any numbers that you read will be nothing more than an estimate. The fact that the US government has been spouting the 12 million estimate for more than a decade is indicative of the fact that their estimate is off by several million.

Additionally, I never suggested that all of the illegals in this country are "latino". While the majority of illegals are from Mexico, I am fully aware that we have illegal aliens from all over the world.

Our borders have been wide open since prior to 1986 and the flow has been steady the entire time. Add to the fray, thousands, possibly millions of visa overstayers.

I am more inclined to believe that there is an estimated 50 million (possibly more) illegal aliens living in America to date.
They have not been spouting 12 million for a decade. The number has varied widely over the years reaching a peak in 2008 or so. Pew and others also do it.. Even the madman at NumbersUSA can't get past 20 million.

I don't believe any of the numbers are precise either. But within a million or two is sufficient to understand the size and the nature of the problem.

A large error would be reasonably obvious. There are lots of secondary things that tell about population. They are not precise but they will detect an error of 3X or 4X.
 
Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...I am aware that our laws state that anyone can speak any language they want to but this is about non-assimilation and rudeness to me, not about our laws.
So a conversation that is anywhere in the United States, and that you may not even be overhearing, has the potential to offend you?...
 
Old 01-02-2012, 03:40 AM
Yac
 
5,874 posts, read 6,293,306 times
Since most of the folks here aren't interested in a discussion, or that is the impression you're trying so hard to make, I'm closing this. This thread is going nowhere and is only getting more ridiculous over time.
Closed.
Yac.
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top