U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2011, 05:19 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 1,422,338 times
Reputation: 748

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yes, it isn't only rich Republicans that hire illegal aliens contrary to the pro-illegal propaganda. I can think of two rich Democrats at the very least who have been suspected of hiring aliens to work in their grape vineyards and that is Nancy Pelosi and Dianne Finestein. I am sure there are many more.

As for your last comment I never assume when someone is speaking Spanish that they are illegal because I know how adamant even many Hispanic-Americans are about speaking Spanish rather than English even though they know how to.
I agree. There are people from all walks of life that hire illegal aliens. Some of them are our neighbors who are too lazy to cut their own grass or too cheap to hire an American lawn service.

I have also been in and around Americans of hispanic descent speaking Spanish. I also remember a time when it was considered rude to do so. What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business.

IMO, if you can count and spend my American tax dollars, and soak up all the freebies you get illegally, surely you can respect my country by learning the language, respecting it's culture,and the people who provide you the freebies and the lifestyle that your own people and country will not and does not provide. I am still of the opinion that it is rude and ignorant to speak a foreign language in public particularly if you are capable of speaking English.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 12-28-2011 at 05:28 PM..

 
Old 12-28-2011, 07:36 PM
 
671 posts, read 573,191 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Unmanaged immigration , legal and illegal,
Would love to hear how he figures that legal immigration is unmanaged. The managed part is what makes it legal.
 
Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Can someone PM me a # where they actually say "press 2 for English"?
I've never heard it, it has always been "para espanol oprima numero dos".

For an American product of course.
 
Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Reputation: 18562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Can someone PM me a # where they actually say "press 2 for English"?
I've never heard it, it has always been "para espanol oprima numero dos".
Yup, that's usually how it goes! Some people also fail to mention (or realize?) that English is always the default language, so you can just ignore the prompt and things will continue in English. Details, shmetails... guess those get in the way of their whining.
 
Old 12-29-2011, 02:48 AM
 
Location: Oregon
222 posts, read 184,987 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
There are people from all walks of life that hire illegal aliens. Some of them are our neighbors who are too lazy to cut their own grass or too cheap to hire an American lawn service.
That's pretty much everyone in my Neighborhood. Every week there's about 6 groups of workers doing people's yard work. A week ago I offered to rake leaves for one of my Neighbors for 20 bucks and they got some Illegals to do it instead.
 
Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
I have never said nor implied that Hispanic automatically means "illegal". In fact I have said quite the opposite. I have often pointed out that we have millions of Hispanic "Americans" in this country. When I hear Spanish being spoken I don't assume that they are illegal either. I clarified that in one of my prior posts under this topic.

The fact that most illegals are Mexicans or other Hispanics does not make me suspect of every one of them that I encounter. I don't know why anyone would think so based on my own words in here.

If others can criticize the white race in here (even though this forum is not about them) I should be able to criticize Hispanics who defend illegal allens, IMO. It is hard to talk about illegal immigration and not bring up the "facts" about who most of them are and what group is supporting them the most. It is still about the topic of illegal immigration.
 
Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,464,997 times
Reputation: 3223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Conservative desire for cheap labor isn't helping either. I think this is one issue where unfortunately both parties are cowardly. The Dems play identity politics in hopes of capturing hispanic votes. The Reps look the other way because their big business contributors like workers who are too scared to rally for decent wages and benefits.

The whole thing is ridiculous. The entire world is taking TOEFL yet illegals and their vast number of supporters in the hispanic community feel no need to even make a pretense at learning the language of the country they want to join.

I swear a big chunk of the frustration with illegals might be mitigated if Latino nations made English fluency mandatory in their communities. The Koreans have. In much of South Korea you really can't get a halfway decent job unless you can pass TOEFL and demonstrate English proficiency. Instead we get a community of people who willfully violate our laws and make not even the slightest linguistic effort to assimilate into our community. Worse, they make all sorts of demands that we cater to them in their native language.

It's a pity. I happen to think Spanish is a lovely language. I've studied French, Hebrew, Italian, German and Spanish. Of all those languages, Spanish was probably the prettiest and the easiest. But I will not speak it to someone who is obviously here illegally and does not speak English. Anyone who can't be bothered to obey this country's immigration laws and refuses to make an effort to learn this country's language is someone I want to avoid.
And how many illegals do you meet in a given day or week?
 
Old 12-29-2011, 09:56 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,464,997 times
Reputation: 3223
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingObeat View Post
That's pretty much everyone in my Neighborhood. Every week there's about 6 groups of workers doing people's yard work. A week ago I offered to rake leaves for one of my Neighbors for 20 bucks and they got some Illegals to do it instead.
If you know for sure they're illegal, then call ICE and your state's labor and tax authorities. Problem solved, right?
 
Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,385,436 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
And how many illegals do you meet in a given day or week?
I'm pretty sure the idiots who landscape my neighbor's yards every other week, make it clear they don't speak English and park in front of my house playing loud music in Spanish aren't exactly here with permission.

Your point?

I don't want illegals here. They're selfish, lawbreaking creeps who push down wages for our poorest citizens, pay little if anything in taxes and suck up resources meant for our own citizens. I sure as heck don't want to finance them. Why do you?

 
Old 12-29-2011, 10:07 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,464,997 times
Reputation: 3223
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
You know what, there is no excuse in the world for this. I know hispanics who have lived in this Country for over 20 years, and do not speak english. Maybe the husband or the wife does, but not the two. This is just being lazy.
So some guy who works 10 hours a day in 100 degree weather is lazy because he prefers to spend the few hours he has left in his day with his family? I think we need to be careful about throwing out words like 'lazy' around when you're not really certain of the circumstances.

And I think that people romanticize a past that they're not really familiar with. Most of the recorded historical data and most observations about immigrants - legal or not - shows that the first generation immigrants are typically not that strong with the host language, but that the second and third generations are typically able to communicate and are assimilated fairly well.

You learned English because there was no reason for you to think you could rely on Italian. It's that simple. For children of Mexican children who end up in the school system here, it's probably the same thing. The kids who have the most difficulty are those who were not born in the U.S. but came over with their parents, or those who did not receive strong support from their families after they were born here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top