U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,464,314 times
Reputation: 3223

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I'm pretty sure the idiots who landscape my neighbor's yards every other week and park in front of my house playing loud music in Spanish aren't exactly here with permission.

Your point?

I don't want illegals here. They're selfish, lawbreaking creeps who push down wages for our poorest citizens, pay little if anything in taxes and suck up resources meant for our own citizens. I sure as heck don't want to finance them. Why do you?

My point is you're complaining and tossing around accusations which might very well be baseless. You have an opportunity to find out for yourself if your suspicions have merit, but you don't seem particularly enthusiastic about finding out the truth. Is it easier just to complain about a problem that may or may not exist? What if they're here legally? Will that ease tensions a bit, or will you still be upset that you can't landscape your neighbor's yard because they're willing to work for minimum wages and you're not?

 
Old 12-29-2011, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
2,435 posts, read 2,719,147 times
Reputation: 2579
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, English is option 2 in many cases now. And when the illegals are taught some English they are providing it to them as "English as a SECOND language". No wonder they don't believe it's important or worth the effort to learn any English.
And...
Why they dont see any need to assimilate into our culture, nor resepct our laws and customs. This maintains the disposition of distrust, disdain and fear of anyone who is not from their homeland.
I am moved to doubt that particularly in Mexico, that spanish relegated as option 2 behind english, as a mere 'second language'?
 
Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,385,153 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
My point is you're complaining and tossing around accusations which might very well be baseless. You have an opportunity to find out for yourself if your suspicions have merit, but you don't seem particularly enthusiastic about finding out the truth. Is it easier just to complain about a problem that may or may not exist? What if they're here legally? Will that ease tensions a bit, or will you still be upset that you can't landscape your neighbor's yard because they're willing to work for minimum wages and you're not?
I sincerely doubt the people in question are here legally. Again your point? You realize that their minimum wage jobs mean all sorts of increased costs in other ways? Since they aren't driving with insurance (and they do indeed drive) that means increased premiums on my end. They probably bring their kids so that means increased costs for school taxes. I also sincerely doubt that they have medical insurance. So again that means increased costs on my end.

The point is that illegals cost more than they contribute. This is not in dispute. Most illegals are high school dropouts who don't speak English and therefore inherently raise costs on American citizens. Why should we let them stay?

The neighbor's pathetic desire to save money on landscaping costs should not be passed on to me. Why do you think otherwise?

 
Old 12-29-2011, 11:18 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I sincerely doubt the people in question are here legally. Again your point? You realize that their minimum wage jobs mean all sorts of increased costs in other ways? Since they aren't driving with insurance (and they do indeed drive) that means increased premiums on my end. They probably bring their kids so that means increased costs for school taxes. I also sincerely doubt that they have medical insurance. So again that means increased costs on my end.

The point is that illegals cost more than they contribute. This is not in dispute. Most illegals are high school dropouts who don't speak English and therefore inherently raise costs on American citizens. Why should we let them stay?

The neighbor's pathetic desire to save money on landscaping costs should not be passed on to me. Why do you think otherwise?

I would also ask why any loyal, law abiding American would be ok with illegal aliens violating our immigration laws and working here without authorization. If they think that is ok then maybe they should move to some other country where laws are not respected and enforced. Good luck with that!
 
Old 12-29-2011, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, English is option 2 in many cases now. And when the illegals are taught some English they are providing it to them as "English as a SECOND language". No wonder they don't believe it's important or worth the effort to learn any English.
Any example phone numbers that won't continue in English if no selection is made?...
 
Old 12-29-2011, 01:12 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Any example phone numbers that won't continue in English if no selection is made?...
I think it is the principle of thing involved here. We are an English speaking country. Even most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English. It is just plain pandering nothing more and nothing less.
 
Old 12-29-2011, 03:58 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 1,422,083 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Would love to hear how he figures that legal immigration is unmanaged. The managed part is what makes it legal.

I'm sure like me you aren't holding your breath waiting for an explanation. Otherwise, we would both die waiting to exhale.
 
Old 12-29-2011, 04:01 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 1,422,083 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Can someone PM me a # where they actually say "press 2 for English"?
I've never heard it, it has always been "para espanol oprima numero dos".

For an American product of course.
You can start by calling Bank of the Aliens, formerly known as Bank of America.
 
Old 12-29-2011, 04:08 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 1,422,083 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I have never said nor implied that Hispanic automatically means "illegal". In fact I have said quite the opposite. I have often pointed out that we have millions of Hispanic "Americans" in this country. When I hear Spanish being spoken I don't assume that they are illegal either. I clarified that in one of my prior posts under this topic.

The fact that most illegals are Mexicans or other Hispanics does not make me suspect of every one of them that I encounter. I don't know why anyone would think so based on my own words in here.

If others can criticize the white race in here (even though this forum is not about them) I should be able to criticize Hispanics who defend illegal allens, IMO. It is hard to talk about illegal immigration and not bring up the "facts" about who most of them are and what group is supporting them the most. It is still about the topic of illegal immigration.
I totally agree, excellent points and post
 
Old 12-29-2011, 04:11 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 1,422,083 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Any example phone numbers that won't continue in English if no selection is made?...
For the record it is common knowledge to anyone who uses the phone to call a company in America that if you don't intercede and press 2 for English the message is instantly babbled in Spanish. Over the years, I've learned to beat the corporate crooks at their own game. Usually if you press 2, prior to the spanish babbling, you eliminate the annoyance of listening to the spanish pandering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top