U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-30-2011, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,788,161 times
Reputation: 5466

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, English is option 2 in many cases now. And when the illegals are taught some English they are providing it to them as "English as a SECOND language". No wonder they don't believe it's important or worth the effort to learn any English.
Um, it's called ESL, English as a Second Language, because for those people taking those classes, English is not their FIRST language, meaning that they are not native English speakers. It is called ESL no matter what country you learn it in, including in Mexico. Jesus..

 
Old 12-30-2011, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 70,023,912 times
Reputation: 27523
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Um, it's called ESL, English as a Second Language, because for those people taking those classes, English is not their FIRST language, meaning that they are not native English speakers. It is called ESL no matter what country you learn it in, including in Mexico. Jesus..
ESL training is now being required of all teachers in all grades.
More and more English-challenged kids are entering the education system at higher grades. Bilingual is not taught after 5th grade..it's all taught in English.
 
Old 12-30-2011, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,788,161 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Press 2 for English
insightnews.com
COMMENTARY
Monday, 26 December 2011 14:59

WASHINGTON D.C. - The son of immigrants, Rob Sobhani, Ph. D., was raised with a deep love of America and an appreciation of its legacy of open doors. Today Dr. Sobhani fears the fallout from an immigration policy that is completely out of control. Unmanaged immigration , legal and illegal, are having a disastrous effect on state and local economies, jeopardizing jobs for low-income citizens, creating a rapid population increase that puts pressure on our shaky infrastructure and overburdened environment and worst of all… are fracturing our national identity and spirit. What is needed, he argues, is a new immigration consensus—one that would respect the tradition of American opportunity and diversity without crippling our nation. He explores this in his new book Press 2 for English: Fix Immigration, Save America (Jan. 2012).

Dr. Sobhani makes a convincing case that a failure of national leadership has paralyzed any progress in immigration reform. The economics of managing immigration are clear: if we fix the system, we can create jobs for millions of Americans here and provide hope to millions who want to return to their native lands and help rebuild them.



http://www.insightnews.com/commentar...-2-for-english


Attached Images
Too bad he isn't running for POTUS.
Yeah, it's just too bad that the premise, that illegals are bankrupting the country, is just a load of bulls*t. Whatever illegals cost us, it is FAR FAR down the list of causes for our recent recession, and is barely a blip compared to defense, medicaid and medicare and general government waste. I'm also curious how Rob proposes that we keep our economy strong without strong population growth in this case given that a huge chunk of the workforce, the Baby Boomer generation, is all set to retire if they haven't already. Do we really want to be Japan, which has very low immigration, an aging population, plummeting tax returns and an economy on the verge of collapse (you think our recent one was bad, just wait)? Some people can't look past their own biases to see how absolutely short-sighted they are on this issue. Reforms are needed, absolutely, but if we're not going to do them in an intelligent, reasoned manner, then we are setting ourselves up for far worse to come.
 
Old 12-30-2011, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,788,161 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
ESL training is now being required of all teachers in all grades.
More and more English-challenged kids are entering the education system at higher grades. Bilingual is not taught after 5th grade..it's all taught in English.
I do think English should be the primary language of public education, but I also don't have a problem with working with those students whose first language is not English. I see learning more than one language as a positive. All scientific research has proven again and again that knowing more than one language increases criticial thinking skills. I actually think all kids should be going through mandatory foreign-language immersion courses (the language of their choice, of course).
 
Old 12-30-2011, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,788,161 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
You are so so correct. I get sick and tired of the customer service in another language.

I have been known on more then one occasion, to tell the person i cannot understand them. Give me someone english now, a supervisor, because i know everyone has one or i refuse to talk.
They give me the round about that there is no supervisor there, and i tell them, i will continue calling for help until i get someone who speaks english, and i am not very polite at this time.
It works for me everytime, i do get someone who speaks more then better english. But should i have to ***** in order to get someone who speaks english. I don't tihink so.
I am tired of other languages overshadowing the language of this Country, which should be english.
In a global economy, it's likely that you are talking to someone who is not even in the US and who attempted to learn English to work for that specific company, probably for significantly less money than we would ever think to work for. English is not an easy language to learn, and if someone on the other end of the line is trying to earn a living in their native country trying to speak a language that is foreign to them, maybe you should simply try being a bit nicer. I'm sure that, if they are customer-service, they have been trained to deal with people like yourself, but it might do you a bit of good to take a step back and consider the situation a bit more deeply than your minor inconvenience for what was likely not a life and death problem.
 
Old 12-30-2011, 05:32 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 1,425,779 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Yeah, it's just too bad that the premise, that illegals are bankrupting the country, is just a load of bulls*t. Whatever illegals cost us, it is FAR FAR down the list of causes for our recent recession, and is barely a blip compared to defense, medicaid and medicare and general government waste.
It's not a premise, it is a serious reality. There are approximately 50 million illegal aliens in this country and a very small percentage of them are working. If they are paying taxes, it is via stolen identities and amounts to very little. Additonally, the vast majority of illegal alien women are breeding heavily with no way to support the children that they birth into this world, thus the American tax payer is stuck funding: medical care, WIC, welfare, Section 8 housing, cost of education and a minimum of 18 years on the taxpayers dole.

As far as defense of America and any tax money spent to provide a safety net for Americans, your point is moot, since providing for our fellow Americans is America's responsibility. Providing for multiple millions of illegal aliens (primarily from Mexico) is not.

Quote:
I'm also curious how Rob proposes that we keep our economy strong without strong population growth in this case given that a huge chunk of the workforce, the Baby Boomer generation, is all set to retire if they haven't already. Do we really want to be Japan, which has very low immigration, an aging population, plummeting tax returns and an economy on the verge of collapse (you think our recent one was bad, just wait)? Some people can't look past their own biases to see how absolutely short-sighted they are on this issue. Reforms are needed, absolutely, but if we're not going to do them in an intelligent, reasoned manner, then we are setting ourselves up for far worse to come.
You speak as if not a single one of those here illegally is unemployed. At the end of the day, as Americans we always have, and will take care of our own.

Foreign invaders are a drain on this country. We certainly could not survive another 1986 style amnesty which would give citizenship to millions of foreign, illiterate derelicts. Supporting 50 million non-working illegal aliens and their offspring? Is not and should never have been our problem. At this point, our economy dictates that legalizing them should never be an option. If they are so much of a net positive, why does Mexico whine when they start heading home or they are deported en masse? Why are various (primarily spanish) countries with a large population of illegal aliens living in America banding together and demanding that we keep their useless poverty stricken masses here?

Illegals need to go home and drain the resources of their respective countries and governments. It's way past time to shut down the gravy train.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 12-30-2011 at 05:42 PM..
 
Old 12-30-2011, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,788,161 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
It's not a premise, it is a serious reality. There are approximately 50 million illegal aliens in this country and a very small percentage of them are working. If they are paying taxes, it is via stolen identities and amounts to very little. Additonally, the vast majority of illegal alien women are breeding heavily with no way to support the children that they birth into this world, thus the American tax payer is stuck funding: medical care, WIC, welfare, Section 8 housing, cost of education and a minimum of 18 years on the taxpayers dole.

As far as defense of America and any tax money spent to provide a safety net for Americans, your point is moot, since providing for our fellow Americans is America's responsibility. Providing for multiple millions of illegal aliens (primarily from Mexico) is not.

You speak as if not a single one of those here illegally is unemployed. At the end of the day, as Americans we always have, and will take care of our own.

Foreign invaders are a drain on this country. We certainly could not survive another 1986 style amnesty which would give citizenship to millions of foreign derelects. Supporting 50 million non-working illegal aliens and their offspring? Is not and should never have been our problem. Illegals need to go home and drain the resources of their respective countries and governments. It's way past time to shut down the gravy train.
50 million illegals? Last pulled-out-of-*ss estimates I've seen are more like 12 million, maybe 15, and all evidence is pointing to that growth slowing down to a trickle in recent years. Why do you think there are more than 4x that many? Looks like you dug pretty deep for that one. Honestly, the rest of your post doesn't even matter when you lead off with such utter nonsense.
 
Old 12-30-2011, 05:46 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 1,425,779 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
50 million illegals? Last pulled-out-of-*ss estimates I've seen are more like 12 million, maybe 15, and all evidence is pointing to that growth slowing down to a trickle in recent years. Why do you think there are more than 4x that many? Looks like you dug pretty deep for that one. Honestly, the rest of your post doesn't even matter when you lead off with such utter nonsense.

No I didn't dig deep for anything. You'd have to be an idiot living under a rock to not acknowledge reality. The media has been told to underestimate the numbers. We've been hearing the 12 million lie for more than a decade. It really isn't rocket science.

As for your continually subtle personal attacks, you're getting lower on the richter scale as you post. Take your pick:

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+m...live+in+the+US
 
Old 12-30-2011, 05:48 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,320,793 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I have never said nor implied that Hispanic automatically means "illegal". In fact I have said quite the opposite. I have often pointed out that we have millions of Hispanic "Americans" in this country. When I hear Spanish being spoken I don't assume that they are illegal either. I clarified that in one of my prior posts under this topic.

The fact that most illegals are Mexicans or other Hispanics does not make me suspect of every one of them that I encounter. I don't know why anyone would think so based on my own words in here.

If others can criticize the white race in here (even though this forum is not about them) I should be able to criticize Hispanics who defend illegal allens, IMO. It is hard to talk about illegal immigration and not bring up the "facts" about who most of them are and what group is supporting them the most. It is still about the topic of illegal immigration.
Like you i assume nothing about Hispanic Americans either.

I know some who speak broken english, but in front of you or anyone will speak spanish. I know hispanics who have lived in this Country legally for many years, and they choose to speak spanish.

I always have to be truthful, whether people like it or not, but that is just me, i say what it is i know.

We have hispanic friends who are very sucessful, have their own business, beautiful home, yes they are wealthy. They choose to speak english, and always speak english, and their children speak better english, then a lot of adults, and are most polite.

I have wondered myself, why! but have never asked them. The way they put it, they are Americans first born abroard of a heritage of being Spanish. Yes they are citizens, and they love being citizens of this Country. But i have to say also, i do know some friends who also choose to speak half english, and half spanish. Depends really on the people.


Getting english speaking customer service representitives these days is a rarity. I often ask for a supervisor, and will not speak, unless someone can help me in english. Stay tough.
 
Old 12-30-2011, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,788,161 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
No I didn't dig deep for anything. You'd have to be an idiot living under a rock to not acknowledge reality. The media has been told to underestimate the numbers. We've been hearing the 12 million lie for more than a decade. It really isn't rocket science.

As for your continually subtle personal attacks, you're getting lower on the richter scale as you post. Take your pick:

how many illegal aliens live in the US - Google Search
What should I be seeing? I clicked on the first 5 links and all said the numbers were 11-14 million, nowhere near the number you're trying to suggest. There is no conceivable way that there are 50 million. That is 1/6th of the entire nation's population for god's sake. Would be pretty hard to miss, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top