U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:35 PM

12,801 posts, read 12,858,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Like you i assume nothing about Hispanic Americans either.

I know some who speak broken english, but in front of you or anyone will speak spanish. I know hispanics who have lived in this Country legally for many years, and they choose to speak spanish.

I always have to be truthful, whether people like it or not, but that is just me, i say what it is i know.

We have hispanic friends who are very sucessful, have their own business, beautiful home, yes they are wealthy. They choose to speak english, and always speak english, and their children speak better english, then a lot of adults, and are most polite.

I have wondered myself, why! but have never asked them. The way they put it, they are Americans first born abroard of a heritage of being Spanish. Yes they are citizens, and they love being citizens of this Country. But i have to say also, i do know some friends who also choose to speak half english, and half spanish. Depends really on the people.

Getting english speaking customer service representitives these days is a rarity. I often ask for a supervisor, and will not speak, unless someone can help me in english. Stay tough.
Yes, stay strong, the cable will be fixed!

Old 12-30-2011, 08:47 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,038,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
It's not a premise, it is a serious reality. There are approximately 50 million illegal aliens in this country and a very small percentage of them are working...

Thanks for the great laugh...

Old 12-31-2011, 07:55 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,432,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

Thanks for the great laugh...

You're welcome. Too bad that I hate yawning, otherwise I'd be thanking you for every single one of them that results from your posts.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:10 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,079,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Yeah, it's just too bad that the premise, that illegals are bankrupting the country, is just a load of bulls*t. Whatever illegals cost us, it is FAR FAR down the list of causes for our recent recession, and is barely a blip compared to defense, medicaid and medicare and general government waste. I'm also curious how Rob proposes that we keep our economy strong without strong population growth in this case given that a huge chunk of the workforce, the Baby Boomer generation, is all set to retire if they haven't already. Do we really want to be Japan, which has very low immigration, an aging population, plummeting tax returns and an economy on the verge of collapse (you think our recent one was bad, just wait)? Some people can't look past their own biases to see how absolutely short-sighted they are on this issue. Reforms are needed, absolutely, but if we're not going to do them in an intelligent, reasoned manner, then we are setting ourselves up for far worse to come.
No, short-sighted is allowing illegals to populate our country, while many skilled professionals and tradesmen from other countries are waiting in line to come to this country.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:20 PM

387 posts, read 272,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
No, short-sighted is allowing illegals to populate our country, while many skilled professionals and tradesmen from other countries are waiting in line to come to this country.
Which skills and professions do you think we are short? I would suggest some of those are the last people in the world we need to have immigrate.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:22 PM

33,088 posts, read 30,352,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
Which skills and professions do you think we are short? I would suggest some of those are the last people in the world we need to have immigrate.
Let's see, computer Professionals? Yes

Ditch diggers? No, especially since this category will be leaching off the social service network.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:31 PM

387 posts, read 272,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Let's see, computer Professionals? Yes

Ditch diggers? No, especially since this category will be leaching off the social service network.
Computer professionals is an absolute no. We have lost much work to India and Pakistan and Singapore and have large sets of unemployed programmers and scientists.

There may be very specific skills needed like language or some particular technical area...but in general we are way overloaded.

Skilled tradesmen like plumbers and pipefitters and electricians are also present in abundance here and lack work. .

Old 12-31-2011, 07:37 PM

12,801 posts, read 12,858,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I agree, so let's fix the system.

Oh but you probably mean indiscriminate deportation of 12 million people. Yeah... good luck with that.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:49 PM

9,077 posts, read 15,543,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Can someone PM me a # where they actually say "press 2 for English"?
I've never heard it, it has always been "para espanol oprima numero dos".

For an American product of course.
Still waiting for that #.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:54 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,038,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Guard View Post
English has taken a back seat to Spanish in many American cities. There are more English speakers in the Filipino city of Manila, than there are in Los Angeles, lol.
Errm, name the "many" cities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration