Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 01:32 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Guard View Post
Los Angeles, Miami, El Paso, Laredo, Hialeah, San Bernardino, Anaheim, San Antonio, Fresno, Bakersfield, Houston, etc.
So when I visit those cities I'll see all traffic signs and major newspapers written in Spanish?

Old 01-01-2012, 03:23 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
English has taken a back seat to Spanish in many American cities. There are more English speakers in the Filipino city of Manila, than there are in Los Angeles, lol.
Uhhhhh... maybe that's because English is an official language in the Philippines? So you may as well have said "There are more English speakers in the city of London, than there are in Los Angeles." LOL. While most Filipinos also speak Tagalog/Filipino (among other languages), you'd be hard pressed to find ANY who don't speak English. So, not exactly a hilarious surprise or revelation there.

FYI, did you know the town of Daly City, CA has the highest concentration of Filipinos outside of the Philippines? I lived at the border of Daly City for quite a few years, and came to notice a good number of materials & signs written in Tagalog. And as I said above, basically all of them speak English - but many prefer to use Tagalog, and the local businesses catered to that preference. Now I live down in Silicon Valley, where like half of the signage is in Korean, Hindi, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc. Interesting facts, but of course some people here think our immigration population (both illegal and legal) is entirely comprised of Mexicans. Oh yeah, and everyone who speaks a language other than English in public is obviously an illegal alien. Mmkay.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-01-2012 at 03:44 AM..

Old 01-01-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
So when I visit those cities I'll see all traffic signs and major newspapers written in Spanish?
Nope... I've been to most of those cities, and all of the traffic signs & major newspapers are in English. I have noticed bilingual street signs around California, but only in heavily Asian (usually Chinese or Korean) neighborhoods - like where I used to live in Stockton, nearly all street signs in the southwest were English w/ Chinese underneath.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-01-2012 at 03:46 AM..

Old 01-01-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:
You will see large sections of town where all you hear is Spanish being spoken. I wonder if these are the so-called "assimilated Hispanics" that you liberals love to talk about so much.
Ever been to Silicon Valley? If so, you should know this isn't merely a "Hispanic trait."

Old 01-01-2012, 07:47 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Uhhhhh... maybe that's because English is an official language in the Philippines? So you may as well have said "There are more English speakers in the city of London, than there are in Los Angeles." LOL. While most Filipinos also speak Tagalog/Filipino (among other languages), you'd be hard pressed to find ANY who don't speak English. So, not exactly a hilarious surprise or revelation there.

FYI, did you know the town of Daly City, CA has the highest concentration of Filipinos outside of the Philippines? I lived at the border of Daly City for quite a few years, and came to notice a good number of materials & signs written in Tagalog. And as I said above, basically all of them speak English - but many prefer to use Tagalog, and the local businesses catered to that preference. Now I live down in Silicon Valley, where like half of the signage is in Korean, Hindi, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc. Interesting facts, but of course some people here think our immigration population (both illegal and legal) is entirely comprised of Mexicans. Oh yeah, and everyone who speaks a language other than English in public is obviously an illegal alien. Mmkay.
The point was that you will hear more Spanish being spoken than English in those cities, not that they don't know how to speak English. The subject wasn't about sineage either. Many prefer to speak Spanish whether they be legal or illegal. As I have pointed out numerous times I never immediately think when I here Spanish or another language being spoken that they must be illegals.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:39 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The point was that you will hear more Spanish being spoken than English in those cities, not that they don't know how to speak English. The subject wasn't about sineage either. Many prefer to speak Spanish whether they be legal or illegal. As I have pointed out numerous times I never immediately think when I here Spanish or another language being spoken that they must be illegals.
So with your (unsolicited) reply, you agree the sentiment expressed in the original post is ludicrous, as language has nothing to do with immigration status?

It only makes sense that within our hemisphere, when there are two major English-speaking countries, one major Portuguese-speaking country, and a smattering of English- and French-speaking Caribbean islands, with every other country within a half-dozen time zones speaking Spanish, that eventually Spanish would become a viable second language in the United States.

There should be no issue with what language immigrants choose to speak amongst themselves, or among the first generation who come here. There is no way for them to fully prosper until they, or their children, learn to speak English...and if that makes you sleep better at night, the victory is yours.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:51 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
What should I be seeing? I clicked on the first 5 links and all said the numbers were 11-14 million, nowhere near the number you're trying to suggest. There is no conceivable way that there are 50 million. That is 1/6th of the entire nation's population for god's sake. Would be pretty hard to miss, don't you think?
There are numerous articles that defy your statement. What I posted in this forum is only one of many. It's obvious that you picked the
article(s) that suit your agenda.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 01-01-2012 at 09:12 AM..

Old 01-01-2012, 09:31 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
So with your (unsolicited) reply, you agree the sentiment expressed in the original post is ludicrous, as language has nothing to do with immigration status?

It only makes sense that within our hemisphere, when there are two major English-speaking countries, one major Portuguese-speaking country, and a smattering of English- and French-speaking Caribbean islands, with every other country within a half-dozen time zones speaking Spanish, that eventually Spanish would become a viable second language in the United States.

There should be no issue with what language immigrants choose to speak amongst themselves, or among the first generation who come here. There is no way for them to fully prosper until they, or their children, learn to speak English...and if that makes you sleep better at night, the victory is yours.
My question would be why have a press anything for Spanish since English is our national language? Spanish will only become a prominant language in this country if unabated illegal immigration from south of our border continues. If Hispanic citizens who know how to speak English prefer things in Spanish, I say tough rocks. What does a common hemisphere have to do with and individual country's national language?

As has been pointed out in here it isn't just illegal aliens and first generation Hispanics that prefer Spanish over English in many cases. It is several generations that do. I see no reason to accomodate their "preference" when English is our language. It is a non-assimilation factor to me. What someone chooses to speak at home however is their own business.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:27 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Why does it matter what language people are speaking? Are you suggesting that the government force individuals and private businesses to exclusively speak and use only English? That's quite the big government you're supporting.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:30 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
There are numerous articles that defy your statement. What I posted in this forum is only one of many. It's obvious that you picked the
article(s) that suit your agenda.
Sorry, but there is no reputable source that suggests 50 million illegal latinos. I've never even seen a number that high anywhere until you said it here. I think even numbers as high as 20 million are too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration