U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2011, 03:17 PM
 
1,487 posts, read 2,045,695 times
Reputation: 935

Advertisements

I've known two people who overstayed their visas by more than a year. They got caught on the way out. They let them go but they're put on a list and cannot comeback into the country legally for something like three years. They are put on a list. If they want to return earlier they have to petition to return and then they need a permanent type visa. The whole process is somewhat lengthy but they get back in in many cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 AM
 
1,941 posts, read 1,198,845 times
Reputation: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
About half of the illegal aliens in the country came here LEGALLY as a tourist or student and never left. But when they talk about the illegal alien problem the media and politicians only talk about illegal border crossings. They seem to be saying that people who came by plane or car are a better class of illegal alien so they should be ignored.

The problem with illegal aliens overstaying their tourist Visa's is going to get even more serious because of the extreme pressure the tourist industry is putting on our government to make it easier for foreigners to get a Visa to come to America and calls to eliminate the need for a tourist Visa for residents of many countries.

If we really want to eliminate illegal immigration we need to make it harder to come to America as a tourist from overseas, not easier. That will be hard to do because of the lobby of the industries that come out ahead if we increase foreign travel to America. When they see foreign visitors they see dollar signs. When I see foreign visitors I see anchor babies and foreigners who overstay their tourist Visas.

What is the solution?
So I'm from Germany and like to visit friends from Texas. Should I not be able to do this anymore? You realize that tourist visas are only given to tourist from 1st world countries, right?

Visitor Visas - Business and Pleasure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 12:13 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 60,378,540 times
Reputation: 22268
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
So I'm from Germany and like to visit friends from Texas. Should I not be able to do this anymore? You realize that tourist visas are only given to tourist from 1st world countries, right?

Visitor Visas - Business and Pleasure
Well I think Germany is considered a 1st world country but also you are very wrong. They give Mexicans a border crossing card which is a kind of tourist visa that is good for 10 years for only $149.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 12:35 PM
 
1,941 posts, read 1,198,845 times
Reputation: 670
You realize though, that abandon the visa waiver program (where only 35 1st world countries are included) will severely damage your tourist industry, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 12:45 PM
 
387 posts, read 279,176 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well I think Germany is considered a 1st world country but also you are very wrong. They give Mexicans a border crossing card which is a kind of tourist visa that is good for 10 years for only $149.
Takes a lot more than $149..

B1/B2 visa/Border Crossing Cards are only issued to applicants who are citizens of and resident in Mexico.
Applicants must meet the eligibility standards for B1/B2 visas.
They must demonstrate that they have ties to Mexico that would compel them to return after a temporary stay in the United States.

So actually harder to get then B1/B2 visas.

Last edited by libertylover7; 12-30-2011 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 PM
 
31,951 posts, read 16,419,518 times
Reputation: 17140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
The problem with illegal aliens overstaying their tourist Visa's is going to get even more serious because of the extreme pressure the tourist industry is putting on our government to make it easier for foreigners to get a Visa to come to America and calls to eliminate the need for a tourist Visa for residents of many countries.
You're a bit behind the curve - the need for a tourist visa has been eliminated for most European countries already.

Quote:
If we really want to eliminate illegal immigration we need to make it harder to come to America as a tourist from overseas, not easier. That will be hard to do because of the lobby of the industries that come out ahead if we increase foreign travel to America. When they see foreign visitors they see dollar signs.
Yeah, let's abandon one of the few industries that provide a positive trade balance and can't be outsourced. Brilliant! The East-Bloc style border crossing into the US is already widely derided among tourists and considered a major drawback when picking travel destinations.

Quote:
When I see foreign visitors I see anchor babies and foreigners who overstay their tourist Visas.
Yeah, people from the first world who have the money to travel are just dying to start life as illegals in the US.

Quote:
What is the solution?
Find something else to worry about?

The current consequence of a visa overstay is in fact pretty severe: A big fat stamp in your record barring you from entry to the US for 5 or 10 years. For those who overstay due to young, irresistible love or getting a black-market job after the student visa expires, that's a fairly harsh deal.

Incidentally, the reason the 9/11 (and many others) were overstayers is that the INS was freakin' horrendously slow and grotesquely incompetent - they'd quite literally take six months to process a six-month visa extension. Hell, I was forced to overstay my fiance visa. 90 days had expired, my change of status wasn't processed yet, and leaving the country meant abandoning the application. There was no way I could do anything but hope the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 04:55 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 60,378,540 times
Reputation: 22268
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
Takes a lot more than $149..

B1/B2 visa/Border Crossing Cards are only issued to applicants who are citizens of and resident in Mexico.
Applicants must meet the eligibility standards for B1/B2 visas.
They must demonstrate that they have ties to Mexico that would compel them to return after a temporary stay in the United States.

So actually harder to get then B1/B2 visas.
Wrong again. They cost a mere $140.

Fees for Visa Services

Good for ten years, so for just $14 a year, a Mexican has a card that allows him to come and shop, come and visit, come use the schools, come and check into a US hospital.

And of course many come here legally but take jobs the visa does not allow them to take and of course they can easily go wherever they like in the USA once they get through the border inspection and there's nothing making sure they return home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 04:57 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,423 posts, read 74,265,837 times
Reputation: 47798
80% of the people that come here on some sort of visa never leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 05:03 PM
 
387 posts, read 279,176 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Wrong again. They cost a mere $140.

Fees for Visa Services

Good for ten years, so for just $14 a year, a Mexican has a card that allows him to come and shop, come and visit, come use the schools, come and check into a US hospital.

And of course many come here legally but take jobs the visa does not allow them to take and of course they can easily go wherever they like in the USA once they get through the border inspection and there's nothing making sure they return home.
Actually you are the one that is wrong. I quoted the price from your prior post.

And they must go through the same procedure as a B1/B2 visa but must as well demonstrate that they have ties to Mexico that would compel them to return after a temporary stay in the United States.

So unless they can prove they are not likely to stay in the US they cannot get the card.

They must as well have a Mexican passport.

That all takes a whole lot more doing than paying $140.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 05:14 PM
 
387 posts, read 279,176 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
80% of the people that come here on some sort of visa never leave.
60 million people visit here each year. At least half have a visa. So it is your considered opinion that our US population is increasing 24 million a year?

Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top