U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2011, 07:59 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Wrong again, Legal Permanent Residents from Mexico can cross with their Resident Card, no passport required. Unless the Mexican passport has a visa imprint is is useless to have it for crossing into the United States. You have a big habit of making up stories, but fit in well with others talking about 50 million illegal aliens.
You obviously do not know the border area or have ever seen the pedestrian lanes of the bridge or the shoppers from Mexico coming over to shop in the dollar stores downtown.

These are not wealthy people. They are not crossing illegal because it doesn't cost much for them to get valid documents to cross over.

Not all are crooks, many actually honor the terms of their documents but a large number of them do not. They come here and find work, they don't return.

There are millions of Mexicans living illegally in the USA, that's a fact. Not all were smuggled in by cartel smugglers or used stolen documents to cross, many are simply mis-using their border crossing cards and working illegally here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2011, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You obviously do not know the border area or have ever seen the pedestrian lanes of the bridge or the shoppers from Mexico coming over to shop in the dollar stores downtown.

These are not wealthy people. They are not crossing illegal because it doesn't cost much for them to get valid documents to cross over.

Not all are crooks, many actually honor the terms of their documents but a large number of them do not. They come here and find work, they don't return.

There are millions of Mexicans living illegally in the USA, that's a fact. Not all were smuggled in by cartel smugglers or used stolen documents to cross, many are simply mis-using their border crossing cards and working illegally here.
Nah, you are inventing: I've crossed by those same pedestrian lanes. Much of the merchandise of the El Paso downtown area comes from Mexico, why does a Mexican want to buy it there? You forget I am familiar with the border area, and can show the logic why your statements are untrue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2011, 11:40 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Nah, you are inventing: I've crossed by those same pedestrian lanes. Much of the merchandise of the El Paso downtown area comes from Mexico, why does a Mexican want to buy it there? You forget I am familiar with the border area, and can show the logic why your statements are untrue.
Here is to enlighten you a little about the border economy:

Mexico growth pinch: Less expansion, weaker peso to affect border - El Paso Times

Renterķa said fluctuations in the peso hurt low-income families the most.

"The peso is trading at 13 to the dollar, but as soon as we cross over to El Paso, it costs us 15 pesos to buy one dollar, and this means we can't buy as many things as before," she said.

The peso fell more than 14 percent in value against the dollar since July, reducing the purchasing power of Mexican citizens, while creating opportunities for others.


Of course this is the poor people who can't shop as much when they come over -- legally with BCC's. The rich people of Mexico of course are not affected negatively by the peso's fall in value, they are the ones who benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2011, 11:53 AM
 
387 posts, read 270,741 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Here is to enlighten you a little about the border economy:

Mexico growth pinch: Less expansion, weaker peso to affect border - El Paso Times

Renterķa said fluctuations in the peso hurt low-income families the most.

"The peso is trading at 13 to the dollar, but as soon as we cross over to El Paso, it costs us 15 pesos to buy one dollar, and this means we can't buy as many things as before," she said.

The peso fell more than 14 percent in value against the dollar since July, reducing the purchasing power of Mexican citizens, while creating opportunities for others.


Of course this is the poor people who can't shop as much when they come over -- legally with BCC's. The rich people of Mexico of course are not affected negatively by the peso's fall in value, they are the ones who benefit.
Asset holders in the currency are always the one hit. While some level of dollar or other currency holdings can be used the great mass of the economy is valued in pesos. The rich always get hit worse. Things even out after a while but salaries also increase at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2012, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
11,792 posts, read 9,712,347 times
Reputation: 10797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post

What is the solution?
Have them all marry lonely Americans (many of whom troll the internet on a regular basis), then everyone is happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2012, 09:44 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Have them all marry lonely Americans (many of whom troll the internet on a regular basis), then everyone is happy.
Yeah sure, that's the answer marry an American and commit more fraud. Why do I get the feeling that you consider anyone who express an anti-illegal immigration point of view on the internest is a lonely "troll"? Nothing could be further from the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2012, 06:36 PM
 
387 posts, read 270,741 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yeah sure, that's the answer marry an American and commit more fraud. Why do I get the feeling that you consider anyone who express an anti-illegal immigration point of view on the internest is a lonely "troll"? Nothing could be further from the truth.
So marrying an American is fraudulent? Have to tell my wife and BIL.

I would never say lonely "troll". They may actually have friends and family...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
...I would never say lonely "troll". They may actually have friends and family...
But you should have read a couple threads on ALIPAC (the costly, buggy 1.0 version) where many of them were bemoaning that their own spouses and adult children didn't support their views...

I felt like I was eavesdropping on therapy sessions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2012, 11:39 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
About half of the illegal aliens in the country came here LEGALLY as a tourist or student and never left. But when they talk about the illegal alien problem the media and politicians only talk about illegal border crossings. They seem to be saying that people who came by plane or car are a better class of illegal alien so they should be ignored.

The problem with illegal aliens overstaying their tourist Visa's is going to get even more serious because of the extreme pressure the tourist industry is putting on our government to make it easier for foreigners to get a Visa to come to America and calls to eliminate the need for a tourist Visa for residents of many countries.

If we really want to eliminate illegal immigration we need to make it harder to come to America as a tourist from overseas, not easier. That will be hard to do because of the lobby of the industries that come out ahead if we increase foreign travel to America. When they see foreign visitors they see dollar signs. When I see foreign visitors I see anchor babies and foreigners who overstay their tourist Visas.

What is the solution?
I disagree that we only hear about illegal border crossings. I see the mentioning of the overstay of visas quite often. When I see a report or article about illegal immigration, it is mentioned that many who are illegally here have overstayed their visa. That is just my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I disagree that we only hear about illegal border crossings. I see the mentioning of the overstay of visas quite often. When I see a report or article about illegal immigration, it is mentioned that many who are illegally here have overstayed their visa. That is just my experience.
I have read this also. However, visa overstayers represent only 40% of the illegal alien population and 60% never came here legally in the first place. We need to address both of these problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top