Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 05:18 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
"Americans", by the definition, do not have to observe immigration laws...
Oh yes they do! An American is not allowed to aid and abet an illegal alien. Since we have immigration laws they are as loyal Americans obligated to respect them, not demonize their fellow Americans who want them respected and enforced.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:24 PM

387 posts, read 337,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Oh yes they do! An American is not allowed to aid and abet an illegal alien. Since we have immigration laws they are as loyal Americans obligated to respect them, not demonize their fellow Americans who want them respected and enforced.
Sure he is. That is not how the statue reads...

Old 12-31-2011, 06:13 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Semantics? LOL.

Let's say one person comes to my house with my permission and someone else comes in through an unlocked door without permission. Do they both have an equal right to be in my house?
No, but in Texas, the results may be very similar.

And that's a very apples to oranges comparison.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Do you think this should apply even when there aren't enough jobs to go around for the people already here?
What makes you think there are not? There will never be 0% unemployment. The late 1990s was probably about as employment saturated as we will ever be.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yes, it does. It cheapens the value of your degree, and your accomplishment. It also means you were charged more, and were held to stricter standards that will NOT be acknowledged in the marketplace.

You asked my opinion, and my opinion is that it would not. Besides, that's like saying I should be upset that some people get more scholarship money than I. I wasn't upset about that either. Hell, if I was held to higher standards and still met them, I'd be pretty proud of myself.

After all, I suppose you'd be OK if McDonalds charged you $10 for a Big Mac, and the next guy in line was only charged $1?

What if he had a coupon? And given that a business who doesn't have standard pricing would probably get into legal trouble, this is a silly point to make.

No. Illegal immigrants are gaining the benefits of immigration WITHOUT going through the process that is in place to ensure that only those who are needed or valuable get through.

Except they're really not. Must be great working without insurance for low wages without friends or family and always fearing that some douche on a self-deputized moral crusade is going to turn them in. Really, quite the fantastic life. They don't do it because it's fun.

Immigration laws are supposed to prevent welfare cases from streaming across the border. It's supposed to ensure we don't have criminals coming from other countries to the United States. It's supposed to ensure that we are not flooded with competition for jobs.

How's that going?

Illegal immigrants thwart the process. They cheapen it, they subvert it, and they consequently frustrate the purposes of having laws in the first place.

I know, people should never break laws. Just curious, what do you think of the American Revolution?

LEGAL immigrants put their dues in. They met the criteria. Anything else, based on anything other than objective analysis of what is good for AMERICA (and not, what is good for prospective IMMIGRANTS) is absurd.

Don't legal immigrants take jobs and use resources too?

The topic of the thread is "Legal Latinos against Illegal Immigration."

Your response: "Some got theirs, so screw everyone else."

What "recognition of a trait most people share" was that comment referring to if not Latino solidarity? The desire to immigrate in general?

I was referring to the inherent human condition known as selfishness. We are a selfish species. Race and culture is irrelevant when we are talking about something as tangible as money and employment. Why else do the vast majority of people commit to being charitable during a disaster or Christmas? Because they're the only times we ever feel guilty enough to care.

If I have the desire to make the baseball team, I have to try out, practice, get a health exam, etc. Imagine if people could just "show up" one day and get on the team just because they happen to be standing around. What's the incentive for anyone in the future to try out? What's the chances we will have "the best" baseball team if we let any shlub off the street come in?
I bet if you had enough money you could make it onto any team you wanted. Incidentally, the more money you have, the easier it is to be a legal immigrant.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
LOL, the fact that you view it as "semantical prejudice" speaks volumes.

There is absolutely nothing wrong, nor anything inconsistent with rejecting illegal immigrants while simultaneously embracing legal immigration.

Your cheap attempts to debase the argument into a discussion of racism, xenophobia or enthnicism will not work on me.
Oh, I know it won't work. The people who it would work on wouldn't be on this forum ranting about illegal immigrants in the first place. Still doesn't mean it's not semantical prejudice.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Who said they were? The point was that the Haitians are much poorer than the Mexicans are.
Do you go walking down the streets of Chicago telling the homeless to "Buck up, the Haitians have it worse than you"?

Old 12-31-2011, 08:32 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Do you go walking down the streets of Chicago telling the homeless to "Buck up, the Haitians have it worse than you"?
Most homeless people even in Chicago; the city where my parents came from, are Americans. They have a right to be here so your argument is mute.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:06 PM

313 posts, read 329,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
There are people of all races that are for and against pretty much any issue that borderlines ethnic issues.

"Latinos" are not unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
And that may Hispanic Americans have served in the military, served in the INS fighting Illegal immigration also.

Hispanic Americans also realize the negative effects of unchecked Illegal immigration and how it impacts them AND their children.
I hope you know that most of the gangs that some illegals belong to in this country originated by Mexican Americans.

I don't think the illegals are doing too much harm to the Mexican Americans since you guys still have horrid drop out rates and high teenage pregnancies. I think you should concentrate on other issues that more likely affect the outcome of the progress in your communities.

When Mexican Americans start to do better then the new comers illegal or not will follow.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:08 PM

313 posts, read 329,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Most homeless people even in Chicago; the city where my parents came from, are Americans. They have a right to be here so your argument is mute.
They do have a right to be here but they don't have a right to be born here and still make no effort. That's why we have laws prohibiting sleeping on benches. I am sure there are legit homeless that try but I doubt most do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration