U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 08:11 PM

12,766 posts, read 12,744,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Yeah right like Americans are all untrained idiots and we need illegals to work in factories! get real I watch them steal my work every day. Does that make me less of a Carpenter cause I sit home while they do my job. 40 years learning down the drain so some illegal can work. boo hoo for them and not a care for me and my legal family. Disgusting
Doesn't it get old for you guys to sit here and bemoan all the people who could find work while you couldn't? I have to wonder if this is more about thinking these jobs should just be handed to you because you happen to be from the US. Frankly, you haven't earned sh*t. Talk about welfare. Sorry, but people who really want a job will do whatever it takes to get one, no matter how many illegals are here. If you want to blame someone, look in the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
B.S. Plenty of Americans have worked as steel workers but they lost their jobs because companies like this one wanted to pay lower scale wages. $18/hr isn't much if you have seniority and have been working there for 20, 30 years.
Not to mention the high and inherent risks working in steel. My dad did it for awhile, and two people were killed in less than a year. He said it was one of the worst jobs he'd ever had.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:02 PM

387 posts, read 270,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
20 years in a factory and you would be surprised. its the young blood thats still hungry that is most productive. 30 year techs tend to be anything but productive overall.
Have you ever been in a foundry?

I doubt it. This is one of the places where smart old guys do well.

Nobody is actually strong enough if it goes south. And making sure it does not is much more important than moving it quick.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:05 PM

387 posts, read 270,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Yeah right like Americans are all untrained idiots and we need illegals to work in factories! get real I watch them steal my work every day. Does that make me less of a Carpenter cause I sit home while they do my job. 40 years learning down the drain so some illegal can work. boo hoo for them and not a care for me and my legal family. Disgusting
YOu ever pour steel?

And will you point out to the 800 union workers that get laid off when the place moves that it was a good thing because they had all these illegals?

Old 12-31-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It's being obvious your sympathies lie with illegal aliens, NOT Americans.

I have a huge problem with an American IN the US having to compete with someone who has no right to be here for a job, especially one that pays over twice minimum wage.
My sympathies lie with good policy and situational context, not with poor arguments, stereotypes, hysterics and excuse making for being unemployed.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:37 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
200 people for 20+ years and the IRS never did anything ?

Geeze...I transposed my son's SS number on my taxes one year and the letters from the IRS started almost immediately. The hoops I had to jump through to prove my son existed because I transposed 2 numbers in his SS number when I filed and listed him as a dependent.

Now how come they don't go after these workers with the same zeal they go after individual filers ?

Old 01-01-2012, 09:29 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
My sympathies lie with good policy and situational context, not with poor arguments, stereotypes, hysterics and excuse making for being unemployed.
Trespassing, lying, stealing and being morally bankrupt are not supposed to be part of the working core.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Trespassing, lying, stealing and being morally bankrupt are not supposed to be part of the working core.
They were hired, so not trespassing. Lying, perhaps, though I'm sure the company knew about them, so the dishonesty was from top to bottom and not exclusive to illegals. Stealing? No. No matter what their status was, they worked for what they earned, and $18 in a foundry is very low for that kind of work. If anything, the company was stealing from them. Morally bankrupt? Seriously, it's funny to see this being tossed around in this forum. I'm not even sure if you know what that means.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:25 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
They were hired, so not trespassing. Lying, perhaps, though I'm sure the company knew about them, so the dishonesty was from top to bottom and not exclusive to illegals. Stealing? No. No matter what their status was, they worked for what they earned, and $18 in a foundry is very low for that kind of work. If anything, the company was stealing from them. Morally bankrupt? Seriously, it's funny to see this being tossed around in this forum. I'm not even sure if you know what that means.
To get to the US they had to trespass. Then you try to make excuses for identity theft? Now you say the Company was stealing from someone who wasn't even supposed to be allowed into the Country? Wow, are you an attorney? You sure sound like one.

Some more you can play with. They were driving without a license, registration or insurance. They used a fake id for forms of welfare.

Ok, lets hear it. You must have some serious skin in this game.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:27 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,133,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
After a recent crackdown by the Department of Homeland Security, 200 workers who could not provide a valid social security number are being laid off.
Those let go from the third largest foundry in the United States include many highly skilled workers who have been at the company for decades.
Its very sad, said spokeswoman Elisabeth Jewel from the firm Aroner, Jewel & Ellis Partners. The employees who are being terminated now have the most seniority. Many have been there 20 to 30 years. They have kids in the public school. They pay taxes. They are fully invested in American life. Its been a really wrenching situation obviously for the workers but also for the company.

200 undocumented Pacific Steel workers lose their jobs | Berkeleyside

The employer of these illegal aliens should be heavily fined and jailed. These people have been in this country illegally for decades and their employer willfully aided and abetted them. It doesn't matter if they have been here 50 years, they all need to be deported immediately. Their departure will free up jobs for Americans and classroom space for their children.

So much for them doing the jobs Americans won't do.
On one side I do feel badly for the ones who have been here for decades and have commited no crimes other than take advantage of a very lazy and lax American policy of looking the other way for either a voting base for progressives or cheap labor for the greedy. That said, we need to train our American workforce to do these jobs again, welding, machinery, masonry. We can do this and have our returning servicemen employed. The businessmen who have held the carrot out for the illegals should be punished and we should overhaul our broken guest workers programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or