Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 03:11 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,734,448 times

Advertisements

After a recent crackdown by the Department of Homeland Security, 200 workers who could not provide a valid social security number are being laid off.
Those let go from the third largest foundry in the United States include many highly skilled workers who have been at the company for decades.
“It’s very sad,” said spokeswoman Elisabeth Jewel from the firm Aroner, Jewel & Ellis Partners. “The employees who are being terminated now have the most seniority. Many have been there 20 to 30 years. They have kids in the public school. They pay taxes. They are fully invested in American life. It’s been a really wrenching situation – obviously for the workers – but also for the company.”

200 undocumented Pacific Steel workers lose their jobs | Berkeleyside

The employer of these illegal aliens should be heavily fined and jailed. These people have been in this country illegally for decades and their employer willfully aided and abetted them. It doesn't matter if they have been here 50 years, they all need to be deported immediately. Their departure will free up jobs for Americans and classroom space for their children.

So much for them doing the jobs Americans won't do.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 12-31-2011 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 04:00 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
So these criminals have bilked the system for 20+ years? Screw them.

“The employees who are being terminated now have the most seniority. Many have been there 20 to 30 years. They have kids in the public school. They pay taxes. They are fully invested in American life. It’s been a really wrenching situation – obviously for the workers – but also for the company.”

Old 12-31-2011, 05:46 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,134,149 times
Did anyone else see the average pay rate? It’s $18.00 an hour.

They take the jobs that others don’t want to do, this is hardly pulling turnips out of the ground.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:55 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,925,299 times
The employers who knowingly hire illegals need to be nailed to the cross. Interesting the company tries to drum up sympathy for themself by playing the violin for the 'innocent' employees. Well hey numbnuts, had you hired legal citizens, this situation wouldn't have happened.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:15 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,892,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So these criminals have bilked the system for 20+ years? Screw them.

“The employees who are being terminated now have the most seniority. Many have been there 20 to 30 years. They have kids in the public school. They pay taxes. They are fully invested in American life. It’s been a really wrenching situation – obviously for the workers – but also for the company.”
What happened to those high dollar illegals should be a warning to other ones they will be next.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:16 PM

387 posts, read 337,381 times
Might I point out that this is not an unmixed blessing?

This is one of the large casting foundries in the US they make large parts for gas/oil, heavy machinery and that sort of thing.

I would suspect that the loss of 20% of their work force...particularly the older 20% has created vast problems and producton difficulties for them.

This is a precise, challeging and dangerous industry where even laborers need reasonably high skill sets. Creating and pouring molten steel and then finishing the product off is not simple task.

So they have been punished and then respond by moving to Mexico...or the production to China. Feel good?

So we end up out most of a thousand jobs and industry in the western US has lost a major local supplier. Feel Good?

And another piece of US manufacturing capability is thrown open to the Chinese who could not overcome the local source. Feel Good?

I hope this all does not happen but it is the pattern.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
Might I point out that this is not an unmixed blessing?

This is one of the large casting foundries in the US they make large parts for gas/oil, heavy machinery and that sort of thing.

I would suspect that the loss of 20% of their work force...particularly the older 20% has created vast problems and producton difficulties for them.

This is a precise, challeging and dangerous industry where even laborers need reasonably high skill sets. Creating and pouring molten steel and then finishing the product off is not simple task.

So they have been punished and then respond by moving to Mexico...or the production to China. Feel good?

So we end up out most of a thousand jobs and industry in the western US has lost a major local supplier. Feel Good?

And another piece of US manufacturing capability is thrown open to the Chinese who could not overcome the local source. Feel Good?

I hope this all does not happen but it is the pattern.
20 years in a factory and you would be surprised. its the young blood thats still hungry that is most productive. 30 year techs tend to be anything but productive overall.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:03 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,187 times
Yeah right like Americans are all untrained idiots and we need illegals to work in factories! get real I watch them steal my work every day. Does that make me less of a Carpenter cause I sit home while they do my job. 40 years learning down the drain so some illegal can work. boo hoo for them and not a care for me and my legal family. Disgusting

Old 12-31-2011, 07:05 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,990,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Did anyone else see the average pay rate? It’s $18.00 an hour.

They take the jobs that others don’t want to do, this is hardly pulling turnips out of the ground.
B.S. Plenty of Americans have worked as steel workers but they lost their jobs because companies like this one wanted to pay lower scale wages. $18/hr isn't much if you have seniority and have been working there for 20, 30 years.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:07 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,311,723 times
Even though outsourcing is another thing killing American jobs with illegals here taking them how is that better? In fact it is worse because we have to also cover their social costs and put up with the uncontrolled increase in our population growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration