Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,040,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Wouldn't work. The Illegals amnestied would be assisting friends and relatives to Illegally enter, thereby you would just be setting up a support system for more illegals.

Just like after the Reagan Amnesty.

You do have a good idea with trading losers in the US for hard working Mexicans or other immigrants, it's too bad that it's near impossible to do.
Your scenario assumes that it would similar to Reagan's amnesty. It doesn't have to be like that at all. We have the option to deport serious criminals, get the rest on the books, secure our border and make immigration a streamlined, sensible process. I still don't understand why some of you believe it has to be one or the other only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:21 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So I suppose that you are saying that anyone in need of emergency care, especially illegals, should simply be allowed to die on the street.
You realize that many Americans literally die because they don't have medical insurance?

Give illegals emergency care, bill their home countries and then ship them home. It's that simple.

Americans should not be taxed to support health care costs for foreign nationals. Anyone who wants to come here should do so legally and be required to demonstrate that they have medical insurance. Is this a problem for you? Or do you think that they should be just able to show up in a doctor's office and walk away from the bills without paying?

Because I'll be happy to ship America's uninsured population to Mexico so Mexicans can pay their medical bills if that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post
Give amnesty to the ones who stay out of trouble and deport the rest. That way they can finally receive medical insurance, something many people born here refuse to do like say for example...many Mexican Americans.

It's sad those born here still leech off of the populace. I would trade one of them for a hard working immigrant.
No amnesty for people who broke our immigration laws. You'll just get more people here hoping for another amnesty. That's what happened last time. Many Americans don't have medical insurance for one reason and one reason only: they can't afford it. Let's have national health care. You'know, like our Mexican neighbors to the south do. If Mexicans want medical care they can get it in their own country. They have no right to demand it here.

It's sad that it's considered perfectly okay to express contempt for hardworking Americans priced out of the medical insurance market but perfectly acceptable to demand benefits for people who disobey many of our laws.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Your scenario assumes that it would similar to Reagan's amnesty. It doesn't have to be like that at all. We have the option to deport serious criminals, get the rest on the books, secure our border and make immigration a streamlined, sensible process. I still don't understand why some of you believe it has to be one or the other only.
Get the rest on the books and all you'll do is give them access to our welfare system. Most of the illegals here are low skilled and cannot command much money in the labor force. They'll be eligible for the EITC, food stamps and other welfare assistance.

Why should we reward line skippers that way? Our immigration laws should serve our needs not theirs. Frankly it shouldn't be that streamlined. You SHOULD have to go through a serious process if you want to come from another country and join ours. You SHOULD have to prove you don't have an illness, pass TOEFL and bring skills here.

We're in the middle of a recession. The last thing we need are more low skilled migrants. Legalize them or make it easy to for low skilled, non-English speakers to gain American citizenship and all you'll do is invite lots more them. That's the last thing the middle class needs right now: more burdens.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,309,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Get the rest on the books and all you'll do is give them access to our welfare system. Most of the illegals here are low skilled and cannot command much money in the labor force. They'll be eligible for the EITC, food stamps and other welfare assistance.

Why should we reward line skippers that way? Our immigration laws should serve our needs not theirs. Frankly it shouldn't be that streamlined. You SHOULD have to go through a serious process if you want to come from another country and join ours. You SHOULD have to prove you don't have an illness, pass TOEFL and bring skills here.

We're in the middle of a recession. The last thing we need are more low skilled migrants. Legalize them or make it easy to for low skilled, non-English speakers to gain American citizenship and all you'll do is invite lots more them. That's the last thing the middle class needs right now: more burdens.
I agree and as I said many times we need the jobs they are holding. So we don't need any of them to remain here.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:51 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,868,352 times
Quote:
That's because it would be.

Illegal Mexican Nationals have a PROVEN track record of ignoring ALL immigration laws, do you dispute this ???

Their amnestied brethren will continue to aid them, that's a proven fact wheteher you agree or not.

Illegal aliens don't care about sensible, legal or anything else except themselves.

They've already been given Amnesty and numerous chances.

Better yet secure the borders first and fine their employers.

Guess what ???

Pro Illegals will fight securing the borders and employer sanctions and that's why any and all talks about the other measures are a waste of time.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:22 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,207,290 times
Quote:
The problem with any form of amnesty is the fact that it rewards the criminal for thier crimes.
By streamlined do you advocate a more simple better organized system or one that lowers the standards of what we find acceptable?
Keep in mind we already allow more immigration than all other countries.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:13 PM

387 posts, read 337,330 times
Quote:
You realize that many Americans literally die because they don't have medical insurance?

Give illegals emergency care, bill their home countries and then ship them home. It's that simple.
Why would Mexico or any other foreign country pay the medical bills of a long term USA worker? Why would they agree to accept a badly damaged US worker?

Quote:
Americans should not be taxed to support health care costs for foreign nationals. Anyone who wants to come here should do so legally and be required to demonstrate that they have medical insurance. Is this a problem for you? Or do you think that they should be just able to show up in a doctor's office and walk away from the bills without paying?

Because I'll be happy to ship America's uninsured population to Mexico so Mexicans can pay their medical bills if that's the case.
The problem is that the requirement is that they treat anyone in trouble. They must do their best to fix and stabilize. I know of no workable way to put "except foreign nationals" in that requirement.

I would expect to receive emergency medical care in Europe or Mexico if say I was in a car crash. Wouldn't you? Sure I know you would have coverage. So would I. But that may not be obvious or understood in an emergency. I would prefer they save me first than bug me about insurance.

Quote:
No amnesty for people who broke our immigration laws. You'll just get more people here hoping for another amnesty. That's what happened last time. Many Americans don't have medical insurance for one reason and one reason only: they can't afford it. Let's have national health care. You'know, like our Mexican neighbors to the south do. If Mexicans want medical care they can get it in their own country. They have no right to demand it here.

It's sad that it's considered perfectly okay to express contempt for hardworking Americans priced out of the medical insurance market but perfectly acceptable to demand benefits for people who disobey many of our laws.
Yet another myth. Who was it that expressed "contempt for harworking Americans"?

You are the only one I have seen mention it...so I guess it must be you..

Have you examined why you feel that way?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
Why would Mexico or any other foreign country pay the medical bills of a long term USA worker? Why would they agree to accept a badly damaged US worker?
Because they're Mexicans and Mexico's responsibility?

Living here without permission does not change that fact. An illegal is not an American and Americans should not be held responsible for their medical bills. Mexico is completely absurd and hypocritical on this issue. They want permission to dump their least able citizens here when convenient and have us respect them as Mexican nationals who must be catered to at every turn in their language and by their own Mexican customs lest they dare ever have the nerve to forget they're Mexicans. But when they become burdens they want Americans to take care of them.

No thank you.

Quote:
The problem is that the requirement is that they treat anyone in trouble. They must do their best to fix and stabilize. I know of no workable way to put "except foreign nationals" in that requirement.
And once stabilized they should ship them home. We're not the world's hospital no matter how much the illegal defenders want to believe otherwise.

Quote:
I would expect to receive emergency medical care in Europe or Mexico if say I was in a car crash. Wouldn't you? Sure I know you would have coverage. So would I. But that may not be obvious or understood in an emergency. I would prefer they save me first than bug me about insurance.
And then you'd really expect Mexicans or Europeans to keep treating you for free once you'd made any sort of recovery even if you had violated their laws?

Really?

Quote:
Yet another myth. Who was it that expressed "contempt for harworking Americans"?

What did I say in that paragraph that was a myth? Illegals hurt our poor by competing with them in the job market and overcrowding their schools. They hurt our middle class by increasing their taxes and medical costs.

Why do you want to reward law breaking foreign nationals and hurt Americans fiscally? Maybe YOU should think about that.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 PM

387 posts, read 337,330 times
Quote:
Because they're Mexicans and Mexico's responsibility?

Living here without permission does not change that fact. An illegal is not an American and Americans should not be held responsible for their medical bills. Mexico is completely absurd and hypocritical on this issue. They want permission to dump their least able citizens here when convenient and have us respect them as Mexican nationals who must be catered to at every turn in their language and by their own Mexican customs lest they dare ever have the nerve to forget they're Mexicans. But when they become burdens they want Americans to take care of them.

No thank you.

And once stabilized they should ship them home. We're not the world's hospital no matter how much the illegal defenders want to believe otherwise.
You really believe that the US will pay your medical bills if you become seriously ill in Europe or Asia? They might fly you home...as a social gesture...but don't count on even that. So you assert that Mexico is responsible for the medical bills run up by their nationals in the US but the US is not responsible in foreign countries? Help me understand your logic.

In order to ship them home the hospital requires an acceptable facility to receive them. Mostly there are none. If you are going to discharge them with no useful services why not do it in the USA? Then you don't have to pay for the charter and you can watch as they die...

Quote:
And then you'd really expect Mexicans or Europeans to keep treating you for free once you'd made any sort of recovery even if you had violated their laws?

Really?

Actually europe will handle it reasonably well. They have dealt with the problem for a long time. They simply shove you off into their long term care system. They would not let you stay in a primary hospital bed of course. That is an idiotic American thing driven by you antis.

Quote:
What did I say in that paragraph that was a myth? Illegals hurt our poor by competing with them in the job market and overcrowding their schools. They hurt our middle class by increasing their taxes and medical costs.

Why do you want to reward law breaking foreign nationals and hurt Americans fiscally? Maybe YOU should think about that.
It's sad that it's considered perfectly okay to express contempt for hardworking Americans priced out of the medical insurance market

I have never heard of that so it must come from you and yours. And it is not true so a myth. Why did you say it if you did not mean it?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post

Yes contempt for the hard working taxpaying Americans who are damned if they don't have insurance -- yet our government just cannot give enough free medical care to Mexicans, even to the point where our officials go to the border itself and pick up Mexican nationals to take to the taxpayer-gutting hospitals.

Nice all-expenses paid medical treatment and trip -- and most likely the guy is nothing but a gang member or cartel goon.

Palomas beating victim airlifted to El Paso - The Deming Headlight

A Mexican citizen found injured in Mexico was air lifted to El Paso for treatment before being returned to his home country, the Luna County Sheriff's Office reported Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration