U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 AM

47,316 posts, read 24,627,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
A mistake was made. Some try to paint this 15 yearold as a victim. If she is a victim she is one in large part due to her own behaviors and actions. She was arrested and deported in the same hour. She had opprotunity to be honest and tell the truth. She elected to live a lie. The system failed no two ways about this. But the first and primary failure was due to her own actions.
No one is making her out to be a victim here. Haven't seen a single post claiming as much.

What folks with half a brain realize is that she's a 15 year old mentally disturbed youth that told so many lies that tripping her up should've been a cinch. No way a 15 year old can keep that many stories straight. Her own mom says she's a kid that looks like a kid and acts like kid. We pay people good money to recognize this stuff.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I hope her family sues DHS for some really big bucks.
I don't want them to win a lawsuit....that's going too far for my taste. But there should be some serious suspensions without pay handed out.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,712,131 times
So language is a determining factor for someone to be from another country? If you don't speak this language you can not be from there? This defies you sympathizers own logic.

The girl used the name of a woman that was a known illegal immigrant, she (illegal alien) had only a name on file with DHS, no picture, no prior finger prints, no nothing. This from the second article in the OP:
Quote:
Turner told police that she was an adult from Colombia with no legal status in the United States....Upon her conviction, ICE says Turner was referred to them, where she continued to maintain a false identity during immigration court proceedings. The agency did fingerprints and record checks to verify that the woman was Tika Lanay Cortez, and nothing came up to invalidate her claim. When she went before an immigration lawyer, Turner continued to say she was a Colombia woman. She was interviewed at the Colombian consulate, where she also kept up the false identity.
It looks like alot of "she" did in this instance more than the failure of ICE or DHS.

She obviously knew who this woman was an assumed her identity.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 01-07-2012 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-07-2012, 09:03 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Our local anchor that covered this last night reported that to date there are no plans to bring her home. Also, she is now pregnant.

Yes, she lied and got herself in this mess, but how did ICE deport someone to Coloumbia who doesn't even speak Spanish. Were they retarded or did they simple ignore facts?
And the authorities in Colombia didn't catch on either -- she must have been pretty good at fooling people into thinking she could speak Spanish. Colombia even gave her a job as part of their welcome home program.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And the authorities in Colombia didn't catch on either -- she must have been pretty good at fooling people into thinking she could speak Spanish. Colombia even gave her a job as part of their welcome home program.
Colombia is a banana republic. I don't expect them to be competent. Besides, what else are they gonna do with a Colombian national that arrives there with no job, no family, and no place to live?

But our ICE agents on the other hand, are paid quite well to be seasoned investigators. I still can't see how she slipped by them. The flags were just too red for my taste.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The absolute incredible thing to me is that if she had given birth in Columbia, her baby would be a Colombian citizen (jus soli is recognized there), with no claim to U.S. citizenship (she hasn't resided in the U.S. for the required two years after her 14th birthday yet, to have been able to solely pass derivative citizenship to her baby EDIT: However the baby could get "expedited citizenship" from the U.S. citizen grandparents, as long as it was applied for before the age of 18)...

Isn't that a shocker to anyone else?...

Lucky for the yet-unborn baby that they acted quickly to bring her back...
Why?

You really think being born in a hispanic country is really that horrible? I think that's actually kind of racist -- you wouldn't all be wringing your hands and weeping if the baby might have been born in Canada, England, France, Germany.......

Nor would you be crying for a runaway found in an English speaking or European country.

Is there ANY hispanic country that you all don't damn?

Old 01-07-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Colombia is a banana republic. I don't expect them to be competent. Besides, what else are they gonna do with a Colombian national that arrives there with no job, no family, and no place to live?

But our ICE agents on the other hand, are paid quite well to be seasoned investigators. I still can't see how she slipped by them. The flags were just too red for my taste.
Yet -- Colombia was the country this girl chose.

Maybe she had a boyfriend there, or maybe she liked something about Colombia. She didn't lie and say she was illegally here from Canada or Barbados, or Germany or some country that is not a "banana republic".

And you wouldn't be so upset if it had been Canada. Why? Do you have a stereotype of Colombians that is a lot different than that of Canadians?

Old 01-07-2012, 09:11 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,766,418 times
Attorney: Family happy to see deported Texas teen | Latest State headlines from AP | New... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/01/06/3640984/attorney-family-happy-to-see-deported.html - broken link)

She's back in the US.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:50 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
She has arrived in Dallas TX yesterday evening Now ICE is saying there was no one in ICE system under the name Cortez
As a perhaps very relevant response to this, discussion about language skills, and what some are regarding as attributes of illegal aliens, where did member "ErikCortez" go?...

Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yet -- Colombia was the country this girl chose.

Maybe she had a boyfriend there, or maybe she liked something about Colombia. She didn't lie and say she was illegally here from Canada or Barbados, or Germany or some country that is not a "banana republic".

And you wouldn't be so upset if it had been Canada. Why? Do you have a stereotype of Colombians that is a lot different than that of Canadians?
Canada aint Colombia. Like, it's not even the same league. In fact, i never even brought up Canada....you did.

I don't have a "stereotype" of Colombians at all. It's not about Colombian people, it's about their system and the country itself. I think most people would venture to say that Colombia is slightly more chaotic than Canada....don't'cha think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration