Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
No. All you know is that a 15 year old Black girl got what was coming to her. Yet had she been a little blond White girl, these same people would be screaming bloody murder, calling their Congressman, starting Facebook campaigns, tweeting and phoning in to Nancy Grace. I always find it interesting that this same type of scrutiny (and victim blaming) is reserved for missing/exploited Black children yet no one blamed Natalee Holloway for running around Aruba banging every guy in sight until she met her sad fate.

The trafficking of girls for the sex trade is very real and it happens in the US to American girls...
The problem with playing the race card on this, if a white American girl ran away and was found in Canada, you wouldn't be wringing your hands over it. Nor would you be claiming the Canadians must have been involved in some child sex trafficking.

The girl lied her way into Colombia, there is no reason to believe some Colombian sex trafficker kidnapped her. Now just like in Houston, she may have gotten involved in things in Bogota that weren't good but that happens to young runaways, no matter what country or people.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
They could have attempted to confirm her identity.........
They could have. In fact, I think they did, but she insisted she was Colombian. She was arrested for committing a crime, and gave a name that she insisted was her real name all through her trial & sentencing. The following is from the link in the OP.
Quote:
the teen claimed to be Cortez throughout the criminal proceedings in Houston and the ensuing deportation process in which an immigration judge ultimately ordered her back to Colombia.

The ICE official, speaking on condition of anonymity due to not being authorized to discuss additional details of the case, said the teenager was interviewed by a representative from the Colombian consulate and that country's government issued her a travel document to enter Colombia. The ICE official said standard procedure before any deportation is to coordinate with the other country in order to establish that person is from there.

The girl was given Colombian citizenship upon arriving there, the ICE official said.
So you want our authorities to NOT deport criminals who admit to also being illegal aliens unless they can PROVE they are illegal aliens? Where would such a policy lead? Follow it through. A person tells the authorities that she is here illegally from another country, but has no proof of that statement. So what should we do instead of sending her to the country she claims she is from, where the government can then deal with her? Should we keep her here? Pay for her to live here because she cannot prove she is actually the illegal she claims to be? Do we think that we would ever be able to deport anyone again?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:05 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
A 15-year-old girl should have a "valid I.D?"

You haven't the slightest idea what I think of illegal aliens. Since this girl was not one, the issue is irrelevant anyway. All this proves is that a 15-year-old with a warped mind and crazy personality can outsmart the entire Department of Homeland Security, the local police and various other local, state and federal agencies, and ended up in Colombia after her native country sent her there. Insane.
You don't understand what an analogy is by your first remark?

I think I can read between the lines pretty good about what one's opinion on illegal immigration is whether they post them in here or not. There were other red flags also but I will let it go at that.

You apparently are willing to ignore all the extenuating circumstances in this case that caused her deportation and instead choose to demonize the DHS for her demise. As was pointed out in here one or even a half dozen mistakes does not warrant a public outcry compared to the number of citizens who never get deported by mistake. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill and it is mostly those who are advocates for illegal aliens (even though she wasn't one) who are using this case to feed their anti-enforcement of our immigration laws agenda.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
OK, let me go ahead and state the obvious...these individuals don't care because she is a 15 year old Black girl....
We knew the race card was going to be played and voila! here it is....

Old 01-06-2012, 08:08 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
They could have. In fact, I think they did, but she insisted she was Colombian. She was arrested for committing a crime, and gave a name that she insisted was her real name all through her trial & sentencing. The following is from the link in the OP.

So you want our authorities to NOT deport criminals who admit to also being illegal aliens unless they can PROVE they are illegal aliens? Where would such a policy lead? Follow it through. A person tells the authorities that she is here illegally from another country, but has no proof of that statement. So what should we do instead of sending her to the country she claims she is from, where the government can then deal with her? Should we keep her here? Pay for her to live here because she cannot prove she is actually the illegal she claims to be? Do we think that we would ever be able to deport anyone again?
They could have a picture of the person they are looking for, and see if she resembles the picture. Or fingerprints.

The problem here is the real Columbian criminal goes free. Nobody was looking for THAT person anymore were they? That is problematic.

It shouldn't be so easy for a teenager to dupe the system. She doesn't speak Spanish, knows nothing about Columbia, didn't know any details of the crime she apparently committed there, but somehow all a 15 year old has to do is repeatedly lie about her name to fool rooms full of adults and several government agencies.

Look past the particulars of the case and the worthiness of the child involved. There is a systematic flaw somewhere. Fixing that should be worth pursuing.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
They could have a picture of the person they are looking for, and see if she resembles the picture. Or fingerprints.

The problem here is the real Columbian criminal goes free. Nobody was looking for THAT person anymore were they? That is problematic.

It shouldn't be so easy for a teenager to dupe the system. She doesn't speak Spanish, knows nothing about Columbia, didn't know any details of the crime she apparently committed there, but somehow all a 15 year old has to do is repeatedly lie about her name to fool rooms full of adults and several government agencies.

Look past the particulars of the case and the worthiness of the child involved. There is a systematic flaw somewhere. Fixing that should be worth pursuing.
They weren't LOOKING for anyone. She was arrested for committing a crime (a misdemeanor theft, I believe.) When they arrested her, they asked her for ID, and she had none, but claimed to be a Ms. Cortez from Colombia. They didn't throw her on a bus in the middle of the night with no warning, and ship her off screaming to some hellhole she had no interest in going to. There was a court proceeding, with the KNOWN result being that she was going to be deported to her "home country," which she continued to insist was Colombia. She fooled the authorities into paying for her vacation travel.

Is it unfortunate that this teenager was able to fool the authorities into paying for her to travel to another country? Yes it is. I think that she & her family ought to be held accountable for the dollars spent on her in this case, but that will clearly never happen. It's ridiculous to suggest that those authorities did anything wrong, or that our policy should be to not deport anyone who can't prove they are the illegals they claim to be.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
They weren't LOOKING for anyone. She was arrested for committing a crime (a misdemeanor theft, I believe.) When they arrested her, they asked her for ID, and she had none, but claimed to be a Ms. Cortez from Colombia. They didn't throw her on a bus in the middle of the night with no warning, and ship her off screaming to some hellhole she had no interest in going to. There was a court proceeding, with the KNOWN result being that she was going to be deported to her "home country," which she continued to insist was Colombia. She fooled the authorities into paying for her vacation travel.

Is it unfortunate that this teenager was able to fool the authorities into paying for her to travel to another country? Yes it is. I think that she & her family ought to be held accountable for the dollars spent on her in this case, but that will clearly never happen. It's ridiculous to suggest that those authorities did anything wrong, or that our policy should be to not deport anyone who can't prove they are the illegals they claim to be.
The original article I read said that they ran the name she gave them and it matched some Columbian person, an adult female. So they started procedures and sent her back. If that is not what happened then fine. It is still probelmatic that a kid who is obviously a minor, doesn't speak Spanish, and knows nothing about Columbia can so easily lie her way into deportation. She was a runaway whose parents had alerted all the proper authorities. How is that not a problem? Why is it a big deal to say some tweaks to the system are necessary? Some likely severely depressed teen who is acting out and whose family is actively looking for her, the police have been given her information, etc can get herself shipped out the country with practically no resistance. Obviously one would not want a system where people can easily pull something like that off.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:42 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
Quote:
The incompetence and idiocy of this country never ceases to amaze me.

Texas teen deported to Colombia could return soon - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/news/article/Texas-teen-deported-to-Colombia-could-return-soon-2444112.php - broken link)

I understand that she gave a false name, etc......but it's still unconscionable that she was deported.

Tex. teen mistakenly deported to Colombia assumed false identity - BlogPost - The Washington Post
Our local anchor that covered this last night reported that to date there are no plans to bring her home. Also, she is now pregnant.

Yes, she lied and got herself in this mess, but how did ICE deport someone to Coloumbia who doesn't even speak Spanish. Were they retarded or did they simple ignore facts?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:48 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You don't understand what an analogy is by your first remark?

I think I can read between the lines pretty good about what one's opinion on illegal immigration is whether they post them in here or not. There were other red flags also but I will let it go at that.
Yeah? What does your "reading" tell you? What are these "red flags?"
Quote:

You apparently are willing to ignore all the extenuating circumstances in this case that caused her deportation and instead choose to demonize the DHS for her demise. As was pointed out in here one or even a half dozen mistakes does not warrant a public outcry compared to the number of citizens who never get deported by mistake. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill and it is mostly those who are advocates for illegal aliens (even though she wasn't one) who are using this case to feed their anti-enforcement of our immigration laws agenda.

DHS is supposed to be - has to be - a near-flawless, high-functioning organization. This case demonstrated neither characteristic.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Yeah? What does your "reading" tell you? What are these "red flags?"

DHS is supposed to be - has to be - a near-flawless, high-functioning organization. This case demonstrated neither characteristic.
I said I would not elaborate on my suspicions and I have my reasons for that. Why not just say that you aren't an illegal alien sympathizer/advocate then and just put my suspicions to rest? Hopefully you will be truthful about it also.

DHS "is" near flawless and high functioning when it comes to these types of identity issues. I guess according to you if they make one mistake out of millions they are a failure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration