Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 01:19 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times

Advertisements

...because obviously they can are willing to work long, hard hours at crappy jobs for peanuts. They will do most whatever they're told, and they of course won't go crying to the authorities when they're abused. Hey, it's still better than where they came from. I'm sure that there are those who want to be free loaders, but most of them come here to earn a buck and send it home. And we Americans love it, because we like to get everything cheap, cheap, cheap! And these are some of the fewer menial jobs that can't be outsourced to China. If we paid Americans real living wages to do this stuff, we'd have to pay more to consume it, and that would be a real bummer.

I find it ironic that at the same time that these people are a scourge upon us...they are actually created by us as a society because we find them highly useful. They wouldn't be coming here otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 02:44 AM

475 posts, read 507,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
. If we paid Americans real living wages to do this stuff, we'd have to pay more to consume it, and that would be a real bummer.
I COMPLETELY agree !

Old 01-07-2012, 04:29 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,024 times
Quote:
...because obviously they can are willing to work long, hard hours at crappy jobs for peanuts. They will do most whatever they're told, and they of course won't go crying to the authorities when they're abused. Hey, it's still better than where they came from. I'm sure that there are those who want to be free loaders, but most of them come here to earn a buck and send it home. And we Americans love it, because we like to get everything cheap, cheap, cheap! And these are some of the fewer menial jobs that can't be outsourced to China. If we paid Americans real living wages to do this stuff, we'd have to pay more to consume it, and that would be a real bummer.

I find it ironic that at the same time that these people are a scourge upon us...they are actually created by us as a society because we find them highly useful. They wouldn't be coming here otherwise.

First and foremost, nobody puts a gun to the head of illegal aliens and forces them to come to this country. They work long hard hours because they are greedy and willing to do so. When you willfully break the laws of a sovereign nation whether to work here illegally or give birth in order to bilk the American taxpayers, exactly how should they be treated?

The myth that they are saving Americans money is simply that, a myth. Despite the fact that the corporate crooks are raking in billiions in profits, none of the savings is being passed on to American consumers. The fact that there are millions of illegal aliens here working and defying every law that citizens are required to adhere to, the cost of everything in this country continues to skyrocket. The only population that illegals are useful to and profitable for are the corporate crooks. They come here illegally because they do not have the education or skillset to come legally. Additionally, they realize that they can earn far more money doing what their 3rd grade education qualifies them to do in the US than they ever could in their own 3rd world countries. Thus, they have no problem committing a multitude of criminal acts in order to satisfy their own greed.

At the end of the day the vast majority of illegal aliens are uneducated, unskilled and thus not qualified to do anything other than menial jobs. Additionally, they gain far more working and/or birthing anchor babies in this country illegally than they ever could in their own third world countries.

As for your myth about them not "crying to authorities", below is a link to a multitude of lawsuits filed by illegal aliens that defy your falsehood:
Illegal aliens suing the US - Google Search

Alabama-lite? US sues to block South Carolina illegal immigration law - Yahoo! News

Children of Illegal Immigrants Sue Florida Over State’s College Tuition Policy « CBS Tampa

Old 01-07-2012, 06:44 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:

People are exploited because they allow themselves to be. When you break our immigration laws and work here unlawfully that's what happens. I am tired of hearing how they work long hours and do jobs that Americans won't do. Many Americans work long hours and have tough jobs also.

Who is "we"? Don't include the majority of Americans who are law abiding and want our immigration laws enforced. Illegal aliens are no bargain except for the greedy employers. Little if any of the savings are passed on to "we" the consumer. The employers just pocket the extra profit. We are having to pick up the tab for their social costs and they are taking blue collared jobs that have always been done by Americans for a fair wage. You might want to educate yourself on this issue as to the so-called cheap prices for having them here vs the costs. How can an American afford these so-called cheap prices anyway if they don't have a job due to illegal alien labor?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:

In truth, i'm willing to pay MUCH MORE for goods and services if they are produced in America by Americans. And the thing is....most Americans i know feel the same way. That's a tide that would lift all boats.

But still, you're right. the dichotomy is weird. This country has a love affair with illegals, but it's like an abusive relationship where a man beats a woman that he loves. It makes no sense to be this way, but we want all the benefits of the cheap labor, we just don't want them living next door.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
We do not need ILLEGAL immigrants. We need skillful, ethical and dedicated LEGAL immigrants. I am not lowering my standards to make some criminal (yes, ILLEGAL immigrants are criminals) feel better about themselves

I am also sick of the "If we paid Americans real living wages" bs.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,125,463 times
I'm still wondering when prices dropped so low because of illegal alien slave labor..I call bs

Old 01-07-2012, 12:02 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
First and foremost, nobody puts a gun to the head of illegal aliens and forces them to come to this country. They work long hard hours because they are greedy and willing to do so. When you willfully break the laws of a sovereign nation whether to work here illegally or give birth in order to bilk the American taxpayers, exactly how should they be treated?
Nobody is putting a gun to the head of US business owners and forcing them to hire these people for tiny wages and no benefits. Nobody is putting a gun to the head of US consumers and forcing them to buy the products and services that these people produce.

And people who like to work long hours doing back-breaking farm work for hardly anything do so because they are "greedy?" That's laughable. It's called "being desperate". The "greedy" ones would be the American business owners who hire them over other Americans citizens because they can pay these guys less. But hey, business doesn't need to be regulated and that's the way the market likes it...right?

People should not misunderstand me; I don't condone illegals coming into the country. But be realistic for a moment. It's not that most illegals are evil and come here with the notion of "oh, I'm going to screw over some Americans today - farm hand and toilet cleaner job, here I come! SCORE!" Most of them come here because they are desperate to survive and support their families, and this place offers them a better opportunity to do that than the mess of a place they came from. If you were in their shoes, you'd probably do the same thing.

So the problem is really structural. If American businesses stopped hiring them and started being willing to hire Americans for real wages - and if American consumers were willing to stomach higher prices - they'd probably stop coming. If the leadership in their own society started actually looking out for them to at least a tiny degree, they'd probably stop coming. But it seems that right-wing politics prefers to avoid these inconvenient truths and instead dumb this debate down to "oh, they're a bunch of little Hitlers bent on destroying our way of life - hey, are those oranges on sales?"

You can't have it both ways, people.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:13 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,024 times
Quote:
Nobody is putting a gun to the head of US business owners and forcing them to hire these people for tiny wages and no benefits. Nobody is putting a gun to the head of US consumers and forcing them to buy the products and services that these people produce.

And people who like to work long hours doing back-breaking farm work for hardly anything do so because they are "greedy?" That's laughable. It's called "being desperate". The "greedy" ones would be the American business owners who hire them over other Americans citizens because they can pay these guys less. But hey, business doesn't need to be regulated and that's the way the market likes it...right?

People should not misunderstand me; I don't condone illegals coming into the country. But be realistic for a moment. It's not that most illegals are evil and come here with the notion of "oh, I'm going to screw over some Americans today - farm hand and toilet cleaner job, here I come! SCORE!" Most of them come here because they are desperate to survive and support their families, and this place offers them a better opportunity to do that than the mess of a place they came from. If you were in their shoes, you'd probably do the same thing.

So the problem is really structural. If American businesses stopped hiring them and started being willing to hire Americans for real wages - and if American consumers were willing to stomach higher prices - they'd probably stop coming. If the leadership in their own society started actually looking out for them to at least a tiny degree, they'd probably stop coming. But it seems that right-wing politics prefers to avoid these inconvenient truths and instead dumb this debate down to "oh, they're a bunch of little Hitlers bent on destroying our way of life - hey, are those oranges on sales?"

You can't have it both ways, people.
You took my entire post and twisted into an illegal alien sob story. At the end of the day, nobody is twisting their arms to come here. If they are so wonderful, productive and hardworking, why aren't the countries from which they hail doing everything they can to stop these wonderful productive citizens from leaving?

If they had any courage they would work to change their own countries as opposed to fleeing like a bunch of lazy cowards. Talk about about enjoying the fruits of other peoples' labor. That is exactly what cowardly illegal aliens that invade this country does.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:

True. The very greedy who want their housekeepers cheaper than dirt, their yard-boys cheaper than dirt, and the corporations that want the cheapest possible labor, and desperate submissive labor love the open borders.

And so do those who benefit from Medicaid money, food stamps, WIC coupons and housing subsidies from the government. Slum lords really love the illegals. The illegals will fill up a apartment that no American would consider inhabitable. A few illegals -- like 14 or so chipping in $50-$100 a month to a run-down mobile home owner or apartment slum lord can bring in a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration