Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:37 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
multi-culturalism only works when the dominant group that created the successful harmonious society, subsides and sacrifice their own progress to tolerate an abusive, unproductive, disharmonious society
Except the premise of your statement is utterly false. The dominant group (which I take it you mean the white race) did not produce a successful and harmonious society. Just look at European history over the last 1500 years. Europe was ripped apart by wars (religious and political) that claimed the lives of millions of people. White people of different nationalities slitting each others' throats. Is this what you call "successful and harmonious"? The United States was born in part because Europeans fled an allegedly successful and harmonious Europe.

In his Pulitzer prize-winning book Guns Germs and Steel, Jared Diamond documented how Western civilization attained its hegemony. He presented quite convincingly that it was not because Europeans were smarter than everyone else. It was because of an accident of geography. Europe happens to be oriented in an east-west direction. The spread of technology is much faster to achieve when travelling in the same latitude (and same climate) as compared to a north-south orientation (which is the case in the Americas). Hence civilization developed earlier in Europe than in the Americas.

The Eurasian land mass is a vast area that accomodated numerous cultures whose interactions with each other were facilitated by the unimpeded east-west geography. Europeans learned horse-back riding from the agile Mongol horsemen that lived in the steppes of Central Asia. Europeans later used horses as weapons of war with which to conquer other people. Europeans were also exposed to the diseases that were prevalent in Eurasia, such as smallpox. They developed an immunity to these diseases, which they later transmitted to the non-immune native American populations which were decimated by the virus.

Western civilization owes its hegemonic position to a pure geographical accident. There's nothing for a white supremacist to crow about.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:25 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
And to quote Ronald Reagan, "it's interesting to see that those who favor abortion have already been born." Yeah, when people complain about overpopulation, they neglect to mention that they are part of the problem. After all, the population count includes them. But overpopulation is seen as a problem only if the other guy is the one doing the breeding.
Perhaps the reason that those of us who have already been born are doing the complaining is due to the fact that we have responsibly decided to either:

A) Refrain from having children altogether.
B) Adopt a child.
C) Limit the size of our own family.

In doing so, I think that those of us who have chosen one of the paths I've outlined above have the right to complain about those who unfairly burden society, social services, and the planet by producing progeny at a pre-industrial revolution rate.

The days of the family farm are over. Children born today will likely not die of some dreaded disease before the age of five. There is no need to have a half a dozen kids as insurance against losing any prematurely. Having over two to three children is unnecessary and irresponsible. If you love children that much, adopt a child who would otherwise remain parentless.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:57 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The problem is that we "neanderthals", who obviously are just a few steps out of the stone age,(and 'right proud to be there' !), while being deservedly labeled as benighted, bible-thumping primitives, are at the same time, expected to welcome and accomodate EVERY OTHER CULTURE on earth, to do so politely, and to realize that if anyone, anywhere dislikes us, it's probably because we DESERVE it. We are expected to embrace MULTICULTURALISM, when most of us can't even spell it... THAT's the problem. Thanks for asking.....
Can I get an AMEN?!?

Excellent point macmeal!!!

I have no problems with diversity wherein assimilation occurs and culture is maintained. Skin color is no more than a matter of melanin concentration.

Those who say America has no definable culture need to do a little bit of research. Define for me please Italian culture, Mexican culture or Polynesian culture...only in one or two words now, just as you seem to expect for American culture.

"Culture is the learned set of beliefs, values, norms and material goods shared by group members... Culture consists of everything we learn in groups during the life course-from infancy to old age." - William E. Thompson & Joseph Hickey, Society in Focus, 2005.

Without America, there would have been no Wright Brothers, no steam powered engine, no sewing machines, no elevators, no telephone, no incandescent light bulbs, no camera, no air conditioning, no microwave, no computer, no optical fiber, no artificial heart, no space flight as we know it, no Human Genome Project, no top quark, no internet, no IPod, no Automobile, no St. Louis Blues, no Jazz, no Country and Western, Rock, Gospel, or Hip Hop, no Hollywood, no Walt Disney, or Warner Brothers, Saturday Night Live, Bewitched, the Flintstones, Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Bill Cosby, Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Donald Duck, the Fonz, Archie Bunker, Star Trek, the Honeymooners, the Addams Family, the Three Stooges, and Beetle Bailey, no Baseball, no American Football, no NASCAR, no blue jeans, no Colonial architecture, no skyscrapers.....

This is just a fragment of those values and material norms which make up American culture. American culture is unique and cannot be defined by a few correctly placed adjectives and it is a culture worth preserving.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:26 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times
Quote:
Except the premise of your statement is utterly false. The dominant group (which I take it you mean the white race) did not produce a successful and harmonious society. Just look at European history over the last 1500 years. Europe was ripped apart by wars (religious and political) that claimed the lives of millions of people. White people of different nationalities slitting each others' throats. Is this what you call "successful and harmonious"? The United States was born in part because Europeans fled an allegedly successful and harmonious Europe.

In his Pulitzer prize-winning book Guns Germs and Steel, Jared Diamond documented how Western civilization attained its hegemony. He presented quite convincingly that it was not because Europeans were smarter than everyone else. It was because of an accident of geography. Europe happens to be oriented in an east-west direction. The spread of technology is much faster to achieve when travelling in the same latitude (and same climate) as compared to a north-south orientation (which is the case in the Americas). Hence civilization developed earlier in Europe than in the Americas.

The Eurasian land mass is a vast area that accomodated numerous cultures whose interactions with each other were facilitated by the unimpeded east-west geography. Europeans learned horse-back riding from the agile Mongol horsemen that lived in the steppes of Central Asia. Europeans later used horses as weapons of war with which to conquer other people. Europeans were also exposed to the diseases that were prevalent in Eurasia, such as smallpox. They developed an immunity to these diseases, which they later transmitted to the non-immune native American populations which were decimated by the virus.

Western civilization owes its hegemonic position to a pure geographical accident. There's nothing for a white supremacist to crow about.

Nice try, I hope you enjoyed your book though which you claim to get all your logic though. Wow, a pulitzer prize winning book! And surely the author interviewed Europeans centuries ago, so he could obtain all his "facts". And we all know Europe was the only continent with horses, and the only continent afflicted by war. You keep trying to bring this "white supremacist" word into all of your posts. And the Romans, Greeks, all the rest of old Europe owe all of their achievements to..you guessed it-location, location, location! Your hatred and jealousy of anything European or "white" is clearly shown in all your posts. You are nothing more than a closet racist.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:33 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times
Quote:
Ummm.....don't think so. All you did was expose your obsession with racial categories....asserting the superiority of the white race.....taking credit for accomplishments that are not yours. Funny how white supremacists cling to the achievements of European culture, as if these achievements can be ascribed to them personally. Just because Isaac Newton was a genius doesn't mean you are also a genius. Newton's accomplishments were his own; you don't get to piggyback on his genius just because you belong to the same racial group. I personally know quite a few white supremacists who would love to piggyback on other people's successes. They hide behind the collective achievements of their race to mask their own inadequacies - their lack of talent, limited intelligence, absence of social grace. But through racial identification, these inadequacies are somehow erased. It's a pitiful sight.

I have a response to your post Capatain Obvious: DUH!

The same logic can be applied to anything and anywhere. If my brother excelled football and became a NFL quarterback does that make me a good football player. Uh...no. Would I be proud of my brother? Ofcourse.

Why do you keep bringing up the words "white supremacist"? I really feel you have some sort of a jealousy to those of other races.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:30 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The problem is that we "neanderthals", who obviously are just a few steps out of the stone age,(and 'right proud to be there' !), while being deservedly labeled as benighted, bible-thumping primitives, are at the same time, expected to welcome and accomodate EVERY OTHER CULTURE on earth, to do so politely, and to realize that if anyone, anywhere dislikes us, it's probably because we DESERVE it. We are expected to embrace MULTICULTURALISM, when most of us can't even spell it... THAT's the problem. Thanks for asking.....
Well...........h****! Guess I'll go shoot up some 'No Hunting' signs for a spell.
Hating America while at the same time having your hand out for foreign aid and the benefits of being associated with us is an international sport. As far as I know, Europe doesn't spend a great deal on defense. Why should they? Let the Americans do the heavy lifting. They know if trouble breaks out we will be there to defend them. And they are right. Europe doesn't like us? No problem! Go build your own aircraft carrier.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Nice try, I hope you enjoyed your book though which you claim to get all your logic though. Wow, a pulitzer prize winning book! And surely the author interviewed Europeans centuries ago, so he could obtain all his "facts". And we all know Europe was the only continent with horses, and the only continent afflicted by war. You keep trying to bring this "white supremacist" word into all of your posts. And the Romans, Greeks, all the rest of old Europe owe all of their achievements to..you guessed it-location, location, location! Your hatred and jealousy of anything European or "white" is clearly shown in all your posts. You are nothing more than a closet racist.

The degree of ignorance your comment represents is breathtaking. It is clear you have not read Diamond's book. It is also clear that you have no understanding of basic techniques used in anthropological and historical research. Why would an author from today need to interview Europeans from centuries ago? Is this how you think research should be conducted? If we are to use your logic, then all history books would be invalid since their authors did not interview people from centuries ago? What historian today was actually alive during the American Revolution? The civil war? Do we need a time machine to perform such research? Not only history books, but all fields of knowledge will be invalidated by your line of reasoning. Has anyone actually seen an electron?

The term "white supremacist" is an appropriate label on the original poster who claimed that 98% of all the world's achievements came from Europeans, that Europeans are superior to everyone else, and that the racial characteristics of Europeans are white. See the links he provided.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,914 times
Reminder, (Latinos) are the illegals not (Hispanics) correct yourself, descriptions are as follow (Latinos) are individuals who arrive from Mexico and beyond (South America). Hispanics do not arrive here illegally because they don't need to, case and point (Hispanics) are individuals from Spain or of origin to Spain. Its really sad when people don't know the difference between Latino & Hispanics! Very very sad.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I have a response to your post Capatain Obvious: DUH!

The same logic can be applied to anything and anywhere. If my brother excelled football and became a NFL quarterback does that make me a good football player. Uh...no. Would I be proud of my brother? Ofcourse.
Your brother deserves accolade and of course you should be proud of your brother. But this is not what this thread is all about. The original poster claimed that Europeans are superior to other races. He made demeaning remarks about non-Europeans. He made racial caricatures of Orientals (eg he said that Asians are the least sexually differentiated of all races, or something to that effect). That's why the term white supremacist is a very appropriate description of this person.

The thing is, if a person can claim credit for the accomplishments of one's ancestors, then it is only fair for him to also take the blame for the crimes of the same ancestors. Let's take slavery, for example. Applying the twisted logic of the white supremacist poster, then he should be made to pay for the enslavement of African Americans from centuries ago. Heck, he should go to jail for it.

Personally, I am opposed to slavery reparations. Why should present day white Americans be made to pay for the crimes that were committed by others a long time ago? It's illogical. People can only be held responsible for their own actions. People should be judged on their individual faults. But this cuts both ways. You cannot claim credit for the achievements of others either.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:23 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,971 times
Quote:

Ummm, Maybe I'm missing something, but is LA-NY not east-west? How Lagos to Naroibi?

Is there something I'm missing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration