U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,020,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You can not possibly be debating that Mexicans account for the majority of all illegals.
Currently the percentages of Mexicans whom legally immigrate and illegally immigrate are within just a few points of each other. Any positive change is worthwhile. This thread within itself shows it often isn't based on just numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:52 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Currently the percentages of Mexicans whom legally immigrate and illegally immigrate are within just a few points of each other. Any positive change is worthwhile. This thread within itself shows it often isn't based on just numbers.
Do you dispute that mexicans are in fact the majority of illegals?
As to Mexicans who immigrate legally almost equaling the illegal numbers I cant argue the point because I honestly dont know. That said if its true then I would say that the illegals have even less an excuse to do so illegally.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:26 PM

307 posts, read 458,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Say at a hotel of 100 rooms. They hire, and I'm spit balling here, 10 illegals to clean rooms 8 hours a day. I doubt they hire that many but. Say they would have to pay $2.00 an hour more now. thats $160.00 per day say rooms are filled to 40% capacity. $4 dollars a night per room. big deal......
Was just swinging through since I used to follow this site, and caught this post.

Tinman your math is off by quite a bit, and you are under selling your side of the debate. It's understandable since the way the problem is layed out is in the same manner that a good riddle tricks you. Either that or you are way over estimating how long it takes to clean a room

Either way the answer should be around $1 extra a night is all that Americans would have to pay for a hotel cleaned by Americans or legal immigrants being paid $2 an hour more. Not the $4 you estimated.

The trick is that since the opening statement says "100 rooms", one's mind assumes that is the number needing to be cleaned. The reality is if the hotel has only 40% occupancy then only 40 rooms need to be cleaned.

I have seen the hotel staff at Marriot take a room that contained 6 wild young adults and get it cleaned in 30 minutes. So around 30 minutes a room is a fair guess.

Now the problem becomes trivial. Divide the hourly wage difference by 2 and that is the cost increase per room.

If an illegal is being paid $8 an hour then you could pay a legal worker $16 an hour and it would result in only a $4 rise in prices (A difference of $8 divided by 2). At $16 an hour you would have a line a mile long seeking employment. Likewise since most hotels seem to charge around $80 a night I can't see Americans screaming if it rises to $84 a night.

Random

Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,327,718 times
Quote:
Ah, yes, a statement that really shows your position well...
And just what would you do to propose, to end this crippling epdimic.
These law breakers from entering this Country on a daily basic.

Knew you see someone who worked our borders, so i heard it all, the numbers coming in, i am sure are actually more then what we are being told. He quit, but i heard it all.And the violence and the filth assocaited with catching these criminals.
Just what might your position be, in halting more illegals from entering this Country illegally.
They are a burden are they not, and the majority of illegals in this Country are hispanic.
We as Americans i believe have a gripe with anyone who is in our Country illegally, so don't play the why are you concentrating on Mexicans, there are many more of them that is why.
What would your position be as President, to halt this mess, the crap, that we have put up with for way way too long.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,020,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
And just what would you do to propose, to end this crippling epdimic.
These law breakers from entering this Country on a daily basic.

Knew you see someone who worked our borders, so i heard it all, the numbers coming in, i am sure are actually more then what we are being told. He quit, but i heard it all.And the violence and the filth assocaited with catching these criminals.
Just what might your position be, in halting more illegals from entering this Country illegally.
They are a burden are they not, and the majority of illegals in this Country are hispanic.
We as Americans i believe have a gripe with anyone who is in our Country illegally, so don't play the why are you concentrating on Mexicans, there are many more of them that is why.
What would your position be as President, to halt this mess, the crap, that we have put up with for way way too long.
Please use a more correct grammar in this response, so I can better understand how to reply...

"I" and "Hispanic" should be capitalized, "country" should not be...

Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 PM

32,933 posts, read 30,173,166 times
Quote:
Please use a more correct grammar in this response, so I can better understand how to reply...

I doubt it matters, right? Why do you end every sentence with DOT DOT DOT? A Professor would shred that.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:03 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Quote:

Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 PM

32,933 posts, read 30,173,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
Was just swinging through since I used to follow this site, and caught this post.

Tinman your math is off by quite a bit, and you are under selling your side of the debate. It's understandable since the way the problem is layed out is in the same manner that a good riddle tricks you. Either that or you are way over estimating how long it takes to clean a room

Either way the answer should be around $1 extra a night is all that Americans would have to pay for a hotel cleaned by Americans or legal immigrants being paid $2 an hour more. Not the $4 you estimated.

The trick is that since the opening statement says "100 rooms", one's mind assumes that is the number needing to be cleaned. The reality is if the hotel has only 40% occupancy then only 40 rooms need to be cleaned.

I have seen the hotel staff at Marriot take a room that contained 6 wild young adults and get it cleaned in 30 minutes. So around 30 minutes a room is a fair guess.

Now the problem becomes trivial. Divide the hourly wage difference by 2 and that is the cost increase per room.

If an illegal is being paid $8 an hour then you could pay a legal worker $16 an hour and it would result in only a $4 rise in prices (A difference of $8 divided by 2). At $16 an hour you would have a line a mile long seeking employment. Likewise since most hotels seem to charge around $80 a night I can't see Americans screaming if it rises to $84 a night.

Random
Some good points here. I saw an argument that showed how vegetables would rise in price by pennies. In the mean time what we save on social services would more than counter any price hikes.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,334,860 times
Quote:

I don't do that with "anglo". Different things for different people with different agendas. Maybe cause I'm of Irish family I don't use A with anglo. Many "Black" people don't use B, they use b. It's their right.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:41 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I don't do that with "anglo". Different things for different people with different agendas. Maybe cause I'm of Irish family I don't use A with anglo. Many "Black" people don't use B, they use b. It's their right.
It was just a diversionary tactic to avoid answering the question anyway. I think we have gotten used to that, haven't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or