U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 07:50 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,968,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
Was just swinging through since I used to follow this site, and caught this post.

Tinman your math is off by quite a bit, and you are under selling your side of the debate. It's understandable since the way the problem is layed out is in the same manner that a good riddle tricks you. Either that or you are way over estimating how long it takes to clean a room

Either way the answer should be around $1 extra a night is all that Americans would have to pay for a hotel cleaned by Americans or legal immigrants being paid $2 an hour more. Not the $4 you estimated.

The trick is that since the opening statement says "100 rooms", one's mind assumes that is the number needing to be cleaned. The reality is if the hotel has only 40% occupancy then only 40 rooms need to be cleaned.

I have seen the hotel staff at Marriot take a room that contained 6 wild young adults and get it cleaned in 30 minutes. So around 30 minutes a room is a fair guess.

Now the problem becomes trivial. Divide the hourly wage difference by 2 and that is the cost increase per room.

If an illegal is being paid $8 an hour then you could pay a legal worker $16 an hour and it would result in only a $4 rise in prices (A difference of $8 divided by 2). At $16 an hour you would have a line a mile long seeking employment. Likewise since most hotels seem to charge around $80 a night I can't see Americans screaming if it rises to $84 a night.

Random
I stand corrected and thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 08:29 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,392,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It was just a diversionary tactic to avoid answering the question anyway. I think we have gotten used to that, haven't we?
I've seen that too.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:10 PM

10,963 posts, read 7,804,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Why is it that every thread about illegals posters focus on Mexicans? Granted they are the majority, 58%. Why do the other 42% get a pass? Aren't they guilty of doing the same thing as Mexicans? Working off the books, having "anchor babies", working the system? They probably have jobs higher up the ladder than picking fruit/veggies on the farm. If you are going to go after one, go after all. Why single out Mexicans or are Mexicans the group people prefer?

Number of illegal immigrants holds steady in U.S. - US news - Life - Race & ethnicity - msnbc.com
Because it's the biggest threat to White racial dominance in the United States.

Next Question?

Old 04-14-2012, 03:48 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,198,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

Next Question?
Sorry you have a problem with non-hispanic whites being the majority in this country. The fact remains that anytime you have mostly one ethnic group violating a country's borders by the millions it can alter the demographic makeup, culture and language of that country. Is that unnatural occurance ok with you? I assume you wouldn't have a problem with millions of illegal Chinese invading Mexico's borders and altering their demographic makeup, culture and language then? Or is it only non-hispanic whites that aren't allowed to retain their majority in a country?

Old 04-22-2012, 01:07 AM

6,936 posts, read 7,029,676 times
"When speaking of illegals, why is it just the Mexicans that posters focus on?"

Because the overwhelming majority of IAs come from Mexico. For the past 15 years or so.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:24 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,396,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

Next Question?

I would think that it would be a major threat to any American that is living at or near the poverty level. More competion for unskilled labor means lower wages. It will also mean that all the money in the entitlement programs will have to be spread thinner.

Is it strictly white Americans that think our immigration laws should be enforced? I hadn't heard that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or