U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Too far from home.
8,743 posts, read 5,760,677 times
Reputation: 2361

Advertisements

Why is it that every thread about illegals posters focus on Mexicans? Granted they are the majority, 58%. Why do the other 42% get a pass? Aren't they guilty of doing the same thing as Mexicans? Working off the books, having "anchor babies", working the system? They probably have jobs higher up the ladder than picking fruit/veggies on the farm. If you are going to go after one, go after all. Why single out Mexicans or are Mexicans the group people prefer?

Quote:
—Mexicans make up the majority of the illegal immigrant population at 58 percent, or 6.5 million. They are followed by people from other Latin American countries at 23 percent, or 2.6 million; Asia at 11 percent or 1.3 million; Europe and Canada at 4 percent or 500,000; and African countries and other nations at 3 percent, or 400,000.

—The states with the highest percentage of illegal immigrants were Nevada (7.2 percent), California (6.8 percent), Texas (6.7 percent) and New Jersey (6.2 percent).

—About 350,000 newborns last year had at least one illegal immigrant parent, representing 8 percent of all births. That share is largely unchanged from 2009.
Number of illegal immigrants holds steady in U.S. - US news - Life - Race & ethnicity - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2012, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,149,744 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Why is it that every thread about illegals posters focus on Mexicans? Granted they are the majority, 58%. Why do the other 42% get a pass? Aren't they guilty of doing the same thing as Mexicans? Working off the books, having "anchor babies", working the system? They probably have jobs higher up the ladder than picking fruit/veggies on the farm. If you are going to go after one, go after all. Why single out Mexicans or are Mexicans the group people prefer?

Number of illegal immigrants holds steady in U.S. - US news - Life - Race & ethnicity - msnbc.com
And the Mexicans don't even have to be illegal aliens...

And the "Mexicans" don't even have to be Mexicans...

It's like some people can't even find the more proper forum level one step above (if it is truly about illegal immigration, the moderators will move it here)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 02:01 PM
 
373 posts, read 520,603 times
Reputation: 192
It is because they are causing the worse problems for us they get the attention and rightfully so. Let them self deport untill they reach the legal limits we alow in and then maybe people wont be so critical... Guess that wont be happening soon.....so blame them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 02:36 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 60,463,567 times
Reputation: 22275
It's probably true that many people see Guatemalans and assume they Mexican -- but then again, Guatemala was once part of Mexico and there's not all that much difference in the people.

It can happen to Canadians who travel in Mexico, people sometimes will assume they are "gringos" until they learn they are not.

Usually it's the pro-illegals more than anything because when they talk about having open borders and unlimited rights for people to come here illegally and no limits on immigration, even they don't generally mean this for the whole world. They usually mean no immigration laws for "la raza", not necessarily unlimited immigration for all the people of Asia, Africa, Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 02:41 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,462,334 times
Reputation: 1544
Softblueyz:

I am not a regular poster but I read the forum on a regular basis. I don't agree that people here single out Mexicans as illegals. IMO, I think most opposed to illegal immigration feel the way they do because of the effect it has on the economy of the US. I think many feel that those coming illegally are usurping those that come here through legal channels.

I've seen numerous threads about illegals from Germany Russia and Asia. It seems Mexico becomes more prominent because as you noted, they are the majority and have chosen to make their voices heard drawing publicity to themselves. I think this was part of a strategy to make it appear that those against illegal immigration are racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 02:48 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 1,477,224 times
Reputation: 748
Gee, I don't know, maybe it's because Mexican Nationals outnumber the rest of the illegal alien population in America combined.


How many illegal immigrants live in the United States and where do they come from?

March 18, 2011



Data source: Jeffrey Passel and D’Vera Cohn "A Portrait of Unauthorized Immigrants in the United States" Pew Hispanic Center, April 14, 2009.




How many illegal immigrants live in the United States and where do they come from? « The Other Side of Immigration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,149,744 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Gee, I don't know, maybe it's because Mexican Nationals outnumber the rest of the illegal alien population in America combined.

How many illegal immigrants live in the United States and where do they come from?

March 18, 2011

Data source: Jeffrey Passel and D’Vera Cohn "A Portrait of Unauthorized Immigrants in the United States" Pew Hispanic Center, April 14, 2009.

How many illegal immigrants live in the United States and where do they come from? « The Other Side of Immigration
So how come you believe the national/regional (as if "Canada" is part of "Europe") percentages from the graph source, but not the illegal alien population numbers?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 03:18 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,954,241 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's probably true that many people see Guatemalans and assume they Mexican -- but then again, Guatemala was once part of Mexico and there's not all that much difference in the people.

It can happen to Canadians who travel in Mexico, people sometimes will assume they are "gringos" until they learn they are not.

Usually it's the pro-illegals more than anything because when they talk about having open borders and unlimited rights for people to come here illegally and no limits on immigration, even they don't generally mean this for the whole world. They usually mean no immigration laws for "la raza", not necessarily unlimited immigration for all the people of Asia, Africa, Europe.
Supposedly many Central Americans like Guatemalans feed that belief by saying they're "Mexican" when caught by ICE since it's a much shorter deport distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 03:21 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 1,477,224 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
So how come you believe the national/regional (as if "Canada" is part of "Europe") percentages from the graph source, but not the illegal alien population numbers?...
Because as an American I have choices. In light of the fact that all we have are numbers that estimate the number of illegal aliens, the numbers posted are an estimate of the percentage of illegals from various countries. Additionally, since America currently resembles a smaller version of Mexico, it's not hard to believe that 59% of our country is comprised of illegals from Mexico.

Do you have an alternative reputable source that disputes these numbers?

If so, feel free to post it, I'd love to take a look at it.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,149,744 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Because as an American I have choices. In light of the fact that all we have are numbers that estimate the number of illegal aliens, the numbers posted are an estimate of the percentage of illegals from various countries. Additionally, since America currently resembles a smaller version of Mexico, it's not hard to believe that 59% of our country is comprised of illegals from Mexico.

Do you have an alternative reputable source that disputes these numbers?

If so, feel free to post it, I'd love to take a look at it.

Thanks in advance.
But we've learned that you are so unrealistic in your numbers, besides identifying verified U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents as "illegal aliens", that it makes belief in that opinion irrational...

What are you basing your opinion that the United States looks like a "smaller version" of Mexico? Does looking like Mexico mean that there are illegal aliens present? Have you been to Mexico, or areas in the United States that make any number you pull out (from wherever) more realistic than organizations that are more familiar in population numbering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:30 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top