U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,395,609 times
Reputation: 2345

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
You seem to be refusing to admit the absolutely obvious. It is virtually impossible for a Mexican lacking a relationship or some specialized skill or credential to permanently immigrate to the US.

The telling proof is that there are not any...

I would think the procedure for obtaining an LPR is sufficiently obvious that it does not require a detailed explaination. Perhaps I misjudged your knowledge of the area? You really don't know how one gets an LPR?
Why should it be otherwise? Why should Mexicans specifically be allowed to immigrate to America just becaus they're Mexicans? Especially in the middle of a huge recession? And why should Americans give a damn if they can't? Do Americans have some sort of special responsibility to residents of the world's 12th largest economy merely because we share a border with them?



We don't need people with a mediocre education who don't speak English here right now.

 
Old 01-10-2012, 01:01 PM
 
387 posts, read 271,638 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Why should it be otherwise? Why should Mexicans specifically be allowed to immigrate to America just becaus they're Mexicans? Especially in the middle of a huge recession? And why should Americans give a damn if they can't? Do Americans have some sort of special responsibility to residents of the world's 12th largest economy merely because we share a border with them?



We don't need people with a mediocre education who don't speak English here right now.
More myth...do you ever get near truth?

As you should be well aware I don't favor immigration at this point either legal or illegal. Except for special skills let us minimize it.

No we did not and do not need undereducated Mexican immigrants. What part of that don't you undertstand?

I am simply pointing out another myth. The antis are always suggesting that the Mexicans go home and come back legal. They can go home but they can't come back legal...it is not available to them. Properly so I believe. But that is one of the reasons they won't leave voluntarily and we need to do something.
 
Old 01-10-2012, 02:02 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,718,449 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
There may be legal avenues to come visit and maybe even do a temp job, but there are no legal avenues to immigrate.
And to think that I pointed that out long ago . Once here they can apply for an Adjustment of Status, that is what every visa must do as their is no line for anybody to automatically receive LPR status, it must be applied for. It is easier for an immigrant to receive than a non-immigrant, but that doesn't deny the non-immigrant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Visas like the TN, J-1, and H2-B are not dual-intent visas. They are granted with the specific understanding that you will return to your home country after your temporary job is finished. If you tell the consular official that you hope to find a sponsor for a green card while you are in the U.S., they will reject your application right away. And good luck trying to get an employer to sponsor you for a green card with a high school education working in a non-specialty occupation like waiting tables or cooking up Mexican food.
Simple, Adjustment of Status before their visa expires, there are no guarantees to anybody, not even those on immigrant visas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
The audience of the OP is for the people who shout to illegals "go back to your home country and wait in line to immigrate legally". The truth is there is NO legal way for them to immigrate to the U.S. unless they find some way to marry a U.S. citizen or if they already have relatives in the U.S.. Illegal immigrants are here not because they don't want to wait to do it legally, but because they want to be in the U.S. even though there is no legal way to do so. This doesn't excuse the fact that they are breaking the law and no one is denying that this makes them criminals. Call them criminals for coming here illegally, but don't call them lazy.
Again, I gave 3 ways they can come here legally, just like any other immigrant they would have to apply for an Adjustment of Status, their is NO LPR visa, nor is their a guarantee of being granted LPR status!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Of course if you are anti- illegal immigration but you already know that most Mexicans have no way of coming legally, then you can ignore this thread because my point has already been made
Your point made? Hardly. There are legal avenues as I pointed out, you confuse them with coming here as an LPR, and never obtaining any type of visa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
You seem to be refusing to admit the absolutely obvious. It is virtually impossible for a Mexican lacking a relationship or some specialized skill or credential to permanently immigrate to the US.
Read above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
The telling proof is that there are not any...

I would think the procedure for obtaining an LPR is sufficiently obvious that it does not require a detailed explaination. Perhaps I misjudged your knowledge of the area? You really don't know how one gets an LPR?
I guess you think that one can come to the US as an LPR right from the get-go, sorry to disappoint you, but NO-ONE can do that. A visa petition must first be submitted.
The PROCESS begins
Quote:
The procedure for becoming a lawful permanent resident is a multi-step process.
[SIZE=1]l[/SIZE] For the immediate relative and family preference categories, the process begins with the person in the U.S. submitting a visa petition to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for the noncitizen relative(s).
[SIZE=1]n[/SIZE] After the petition is approved, the Department of State must determine if a visa number is available. While an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen would not need to wait for a visa number, the family preference categories are subject to an annual numerical limit and a visa number may not be available for several years.
[SIZE=1]n[/SIZE] When the visa number becomes available, the person may then go to a U.S. consulate to complete the processing, or apply for an adjustment of status if they are already in the U.S.
[SIZE=1]n[/SIZE] At that point, they must provide an I-864 Affidavit of Support executed by the relative that petitioned for their admission, who then becomes their sponsor.
Note: If an admission is obtained on the basis of a marriage that has existed for less than two years, a ”Conditional Resident” status is assigned (as pointed out by IBMmuesum earlier). After two years of residence both parties must apply to have the conditions removed in order to maintain LPR status.
Note: The spouse or child of a citizen or LPR who has been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty may self-petition for admission or adjustment of status. See Battered Noncitizens for more information.
[SIZE=1]l[/SIZE] The procedure for employment preference is similar, except that the employer submits the visa petition after obtaining certification from the Department of Labor that the employment would not adversely affect American workers. An I-864 would not need to be executed by the employer, unless the employer was also a close relative of the worker.
[SIZE=1]l[/SIZE] The diversity visa program (not relevant here as Mexico is excluded at this time) is designed to provide up to 55,000 visas per year to persons from countries that are underrepresented by other immigration means. An applicant submits an application for a visa number to Department of State. A random drawing of all applicants takes place to select those that may apply for admission. They may be required to obtain a sponsor, but it would not be an I-864 Affidavit of Support.
[SIZE=1]l[/SIZE] Refugees, asylees, and certain parolees (covered by legislation) are eligible to apply for adjustment of status after one year in the U.S. They are not required to obtain a sponsor.
 
Old 01-10-2012, 02:42 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,395,609 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
More myth...do you ever get near truth?

As you should be well aware I don't favor immigration at this point either legal or illegal. Except for special skills let us minimize it.

No we did not and do not need undereducated Mexican immigrants. What part of that don't you undertstand?

I am simply pointing out another myth. The antis are always suggesting that the Mexicans go home and come back legal. They can go home but they can't come back legal...it is not available to them. Properly so I believe. But that is one of the reasons they won't leave voluntarily and we need to do something.
I much prefer to stay away from your definition of truth. You keep writing that you don't want illegal immigration but you keep proposing amnesty for them and free college tuition and other rewards from the Dream act that will only keep them coming here.

For someone who keeps writing that he doesn't want more uneducated Mexicans here you sure are favor policies that will produce exactly those results.

Those of us who are opposed to illegal immigrants are not always, as you mistakenly assert, arguing that they can come here legally. Most of us frankly don't care if they can't. I personally do not think anyone from Mexico with a third grade education should be allowed here except temporarily to pick crops or some such useful labor. We have visas that can take care of that. But we mostly want them gone. When you propose amnesty for them (as you have done in multiple threads, Olecapt) you will get the very opposite.

You are incredibly disingenous on this subject just like your fellow illegal supporters.

You also ignore the fact that they have in fact voluntarily left places in America such as Alabama when our laws our enforced. What we need to do is propose similar laws across the country. Such laws, laws that you forever shriek will do no good, are the best possible way to get the illegals to get out.
 
Old 01-10-2012, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,027,346 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
...I personally do not think anyone from Mexico with a third grade education should be allowed here except temporarily to pick crops or some such useful labor...
Well, she had less than a third-grade education when we brought her, but we put my youngest stepdaughter in school rather than having her pick any crops...

Maybe that Georgia schoolteacher can also write up homework assignments about Latinos too...
 
Old 01-10-2012, 02:54 PM
 
387 posts, read 271,638 times
Reputation: 40
That is of course all irrelevant as our typical Mexican is in none of those categories.

I am also well aware that an immigrant may spend a long period of time between a visa status and receiving the LPR. They may even travel freely though lacking LPR or a visa.
 
Old 01-10-2012, 03:06 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,395,609 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Well, she had less than a third-grade education when we brought her, but we put my youngest stepdaughter in school rather than having her pick any crops...

Maybe that Georgia schoolteacher can also write up homework assignments about Latinos too...
Oh for god sakes you know I meant grown ups.



You're only in favor of illegals because you have close relatives who share an ethnicity with them. That's like coming out in favor of thieves because most of them, like you, are male.

I swear to god of all the things you can bring with you across the border the least useful is that big giant chip on your shoulder.
 
Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
 
387 posts, read 271,638 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Oh for god sakes you know I meant grown ups.



You're only in favor of illegals because you have close relatives who share an ethnicity with them. That's like coming out in favor of thieves because most of them, like you, are male.

I swear to god of all the things you can bring with you across the border the least useful is that big giant chip on your shoulder.
The irony is killing me...
 
Old 01-10-2012, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,027,346 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Oh for god sakes you know I meant grown ups.



You're only in favor of illegals because you have close relatives who share an ethnicity with them. That's like coming out in favor of thieves because most of them, like you, are male.

I swear to god of all the things you can bring with you across the border the least useful is that big giant chip on your shoulder.
Illegal aliens (at least the kind discussed outside this forum) are also in my own ethnicity (and would be, for any ethnicity I could be)...

And you do realize, that the last ancestor I have that immigrated to the United States was in 1884?...
 
Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,395,609 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Illegal aliens (at least the kind discussed outside this forum) are also in my own ethnicity (and would be, for any ethnicity I could be)...

And you do realize, that the last ancestor I have that immigrated to the United States was in 1884?...
You understand the you in that instance was a reference to the illegals and not to you specifically? Or is that notion too complex for you?



Illegal aliens are largely hispanic. That's the only reason they are so widely supported in the hispanic community. If they were Chinese I daresay you (and most illegal supporters with some sort of tie to the hispanic community) would be utterly against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top